Subject: which addons are necessary? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Frank Müller
Austria
flag msg tools
mbmb
hi,
I am in SDE. I will soon have the core set, von drak manor and caverns of roxxor. Is it recommended to also buy the smaller addons like rock top gang, dragon clutch etc? thanks for all info.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Shane York
United States
Woodbury
Connecticut
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Those sets are just one spawn point of the particular monsters. It is not necessary for collecting purposes other then it comes with a new treasure or loot card.

Now, if you want to do crazy things like running all dragonkin then you will need some of them :)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Cat O\'Mighty
United States
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The smaller sets are just duplicates of figures in the game, and a new loot card. I'ld only buy them if I really wanted extra copies of those spawn sets. The extra card isn't needed or worth buying the set just for that.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonathan Silvestri
United States
Connecticut
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
To expand on what the others have said, each small box comes with an extra treasure card, but those aren't worth $25 each.

The only reason to buy these is if you ever find yourself saying "Jeez, I wish I could play the Consul in a 5player game with 2 pairs of the Rockpile Spawnpoints" or something like that.

OR (and the reason mine are in the mail...) you play a lot of the Arena mode, and you want the ability to duplicate your choice (like picking two dragon clutch spawn points) for your arena warband, or you and the other player both want to use the rocktop gang. Hope it helps!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Wayne Shepherdson
Singapore
Singapore
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I would suggest to give it a go before you invest in the expansions.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonah Rees
Wales
Cardiff
South Wales
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
If you are looking to buy further stuff then I would get the new single heroes and mini-bosses. SPM have also just launched a KS for SDE: Forgotten King which is a new base game/expansion.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Magic Pink
United States
Minneapolis
Minnesota
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
waynez wrote:

This. The game isn't NEARLY as fun as the fan base would indicate although the next expansion looks like it will make stuff much much better.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonah Rees
Wales
Cardiff
South Wales
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Magic Pink wrote:
waynez wrote:

This. The game isn't NEARLY as fun as the fan base would indicate although the next expansion looks like it will make stuff much much better.

In your opinion. I think the game is terrific (although the rulebook has some bad issues) as do many other people.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brain Less
Canada
Gatineau
Québec
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
There is one addon that is absolutely necessary. Glue and Rapid Cure.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
___Shetland pony___ ___extra pepperoni___
United Kingdom
Gloucestershire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Fun but a bit fiddly at times I think Jonah. Painting is mandatory too!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonah Rees
Wales
Cardiff
South Wales
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
hans4rd wrote:
Fun but a bit fiddly at times I think Jonah. Painting is mandatory too!

I agree, it's definitely better to have a painted set..... whistle

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United Kingdom
Gloucestershire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Nice one bud. I am half way through painting mine. Its a big project! At what point do you think we jump on SDE-FK, because the stretches outweigh the postage?!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonah Rees
Wales
Cardiff
South Wales
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
hans4rd wrote:
Nice one bud. I am half way through painting mine. Its a big project! At what point do you think we jump on SDE-FK, because the stretches outweigh the postage?!

I jump on when they confirm EU shipping, otherwise I think I will just wait until retail. The cost of postage and import duties is probably around $100 extra at which point we may as well wait until retail as it won't end up being any cheaper. I've almost finished painting VDM, will put pictures up when I'm done (although I do have an ongoing Warseer PLOG).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United Kingdom
Gloucestershire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Wont each single mini stretch unlock, be a tenner a pop when it finally hits retail though? making it postage viable.??

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonah Rees
Wales
Cardiff
South Wales
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
hans4rd wrote:
Wont each single mini stretch unlock, be a tenner a pop when it finally hits retail though? making it postage viable.??

Probably, but then it's likely to be a tenner delivered whereas adding it on to the KS means an extra $10 (£7ish) plus maybe $1 extra postage and $2 extra customs. The main problem is going to be that the base game itself is going to cost so much in duties. I think it'll have to get crazy good value to make it worth backing without EU shipping.

Sorry OP, gone a little off topic!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United Kingdom
Gloucestershire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Ok, you've convinced me! Trigger finger so itchy though!

Yes, hate it when my threads get hijacked and go off topic too!
Lets clear off. Cheers bud thumbsup
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Wayne Shepherdson
Singapore
Singapore
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
jonahmaul wrote:
Magic Pink wrote:
waynez wrote:

In your opinion. I think the game is terrific (although the rulebook has some bad issues) as do many other people.

I have to add on. The fun depends on the people who play it. My first game 2 days ago was 1v4 with me as the consul. I wanted it to be a 1v2 as it was my first game and still a bit unsure about the rules, however, it felt more like 1v1 as this 1 player was "commanding" all the other heroes.

"you move there and do this skill!"
" no don't go there! Attack the other monsters" *picks up other players model and moves it for him*
"in warhammer 40k, this is definitely not line of sight"

He started intepreting his own rules too. Saying fly means he can fly to any square in the dungeon. I gave it to him at first as I saw the reference sheet in front of him and assumed he was reading off it. Yes.. He moved from the second tile all the way to the 4th one to take out the spawning point so the dragon wont get 2 activations when he comes out next round. Just to add on, that was not his character but another players.

Halfway thru the game, the other 3 players sorta switched off and started playing with their phones.

URGH!!! Towards the end, i was just randomly whacking the heroes instead of focusing on 1 of them just to get the game to end quickly. I really wanna try this again without him. Felt that was a pretty bad experience for the other 3 as they were pretty new to gaming from what i know.

I am banning him from any of my team/co-op games by the way.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonah Rees
Wales
Cardiff
South Wales
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
waynez wrote:
jonahmaul wrote:
Magic Pink wrote:
waynez wrote:

I have to add on. The fun depends on the people who play it. My first game 2 days ago was 1v4 with me as the consul. I wanted it to be a 1v2 as it was my first game and still a bit unsure about the rules, however, it felt more like 1v1 as this 1 player was "commanding" all the other heroes.

"you move there and do this skill!"
" no don't go there! Attack the other monsters" *picks up other players model and moves it for him*
"in warhammer 40k, this is definitely not line of sight"

He started intepreting his own rules too. Saying fly means he can fly to any square in the dungeon. I gave it to him at first as I saw the reference sheet in front of him and assumed he was reading off it. Yes.. He moved from the second tile all the way to the 4th one to take out the spawning point so the dragon wont get 2 activations when he comes out next round. Just to add on, that was not his character but another players.

Halfway thru the game, the other 3 players sorta switched off and started playing with their phones.

URGH!!! Towards the end, i was just randomly whacking the heroes instead of focusing on 1 of them just to get the game to end quickly. I really wanna try this again without him. Felt that was a pretty bad experience for the other 3 as they were pretty new to gaming from what i know.

I am banning him from any of my team/co-op games by the way.

This is a player issue as you highlight, not a problem with the game itself. My post was to highlight that Magic Pink likes to present his/her opinion as fact. I have no issues with people not liking the game, nor not thinking it's fun, as it has no impact on my enjoyment of it. But it's still just opinion!

Not sure what you mean by taking the fourth spawn point out so Starfire doesn't get an extra activation. You have to take out all the spawn points to stop this, and key to the heroes winning the game is ensuring they take out the spawn points asap (just to clarify rules if you are unsure). The particular spawn points do nothing on their own, their just representative of where you can spawn monsters (of any kind you've chosen for the game, it doesn't have to be from the specific spawn points for that monster).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.