Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
wolfkin
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I saw this really attractive Geeklist and I wanted to see one for Binary Homeworlds. There wasn't one so I made one. Dropbox

I would love it if you could read over it and make sure I have everything correct. There should be a stray "n" somewhere that I couldn't find but beyond that I think I have it all right.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Arthur O'Dwyer
United States
San Francisco
California
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
wolfkin wrote:
I saw this really attractive Geeklist and I wanted to see one for Binary Homeworlds. There wasn't one so I made one. Dropbox

I would love it if you could read over it and make sure I have everything correct. There should be a stray "n" somewhere that I couldn't find but beyond that I think I have it all right.

(1) I'd drop the "Good and Evil" from the intro paragraph. Binary Homeworlds doesn't use the original multiplayer Good/Evil mechanic, and maybe neither player wants to self-identify as Evil.

(2) You write both
Quote:
if at some point you don't own any ships in your Homeworld ... you lose

and also
Quote:
After you do one of these three things, you may trigger catastrophes

If you're using SuperDuperGames/Quuxplusone rules, then you should change the first sentence to "if at the end of any turn you don't" and the second sentence to "you MUST trigger".

If you're using Andy Looney rules (as I understand them), then you should change the first sentence to "if at any point during the game you don't" and the second sentence to "At any point during your own turn, you may trigger".

(3) On page 2, you have "The n powers are as follows". That's the n you're looking for.

(4) For the green power, it would be clearer to say "Pick a ship you own in this system. Take the smallest available piece of that ship's color and add it to this system..." rather than perhaps confusing the reader into always picking the smallest available piece of ANY color from the stash. E.g., I can build y2 even though there are r1 left in the stash.
Also, you have a typo: "color a ship".

(5) IMHO, the red power is best described as "Capture".

(6) In a two-player game, "you are eliminated from the game" is better described as "you lose", and "you have defeated that player" is better described as "you win".

(7) Under "Elimination and Winning", the sentence about "temporarily abandon[ing] your homeworld" directly contradicts what you said in "Star-systems and Starships" about losing anytime you don't control any ships in your homeworld. IMO, the wording in "Elimination and Winning" is correct.

(8) "causes the player" should be "causes the other player".
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Russ Williams
Poland
Wrocław
Dolny Śląsk
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmb
Quuxplusone wrote:
(1) I'd drop the "Good and Evil" from the intro paragraph.

Good point.

Quote:
If you're using SuperDuperGames/Quuxplusone rules, then you should change the first sentence to "if at the end of any turn you don't" and the second sentence to "you MUST trigger".

Hmm? I don't think SDG requires catastrophes to occur. (If so, why is there an explicit order to trigger a catastrophe?)

About simplifying the text for 2-player; it's not much harder to describe n-player Sinister Homeworlds (setup = n+1 nests of each color in bank; win by eliminating your left-hand neighbor; if they're eliminated by someone else's action, then your new left-hand neighbor becomes your new victory condition target), and that would seem to add value to the rule sheet.

Have a read through Homeworlds FAQ just to sanity-check compare with your own rules.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
wolfkin
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
i had left the good and evil in the intro bit mostly as flavor text. Since no where else actually indicated the assigning of the alignments.

But thanks for the insight. I'll look at the rest of them and see where I can resolve some of these contradictions.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Cumings
United States
St James
Minnesota
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Just had a chance to take a look at this; I'll try to avoid mentioning what's already been covered, except to confirm that SDG does not require calling catastrophes. It will insist that you explicitly pass sacrifice actions that you won't use, but not so with catastrophes.

Generally, as best exemplified in my first nitpick, I think this would be a better source for a direct adaptation since it's newer, and treats the Binary variant as the base game (making this project of limited utility, it's true; but I think there's value in a concise 2-page alternative even if I don't think there's a lot of wasted space in the Looney Labs 5-page version).

Frist nitpick: "What You Need: A standard four-color Icehouse set (use three pieces of each size and color)" What is this four-color Icehouse set of which you speak, and where can I get one? I realize this is from the rules page you cited, and I'm better at Pyramid history now, but it's a bit of a sore point for a newer player (my first set of pyramids was in IceDice), reading a lot of old rules (where an "Icehouse Set" could mean any number of things, and things like "Black Ice" sets, "Volcano Caps", and even "Treehouse tubes" are casually mentioned which you will no longer find at your FLGS or the Looney Labs website). According to the current PDF pocket guide and the guide that comes with IceDice, an "Icehouse Set" is five monochrome stashes (sets of 15 pyramids), so the nomenclature has changed. "Three Rainbow Stashes" or "Three Rainbow stashes, less black" would be more accurate with current marketing. Now that that's off my chest...

I think it ought to be clear at the beginning (as part of setup) that you are dealing with a shared bank of resources, since so much of the game revolves around gaining/restricting access to certain pieces. Something like "Sort the Red, Green, Blue, and Yellow pieces by size and color (12 stacks of 3), forming the global stash of pieces available to provide starships and system markers. Randomly choose a starting..." I think "any size and color" in various forms is suggested by "select", so "Select two pieces to represent your Homeworld, and a third piece to represent your first starship." would be more more concise.

Throughout the guide, I think consistent use of "standing upright" vs. "lying flat" would clearly distinguish the two orientations.

In the two-page summary for RAMbots, the text headings for each color power are colored: "Green" is green, etc. I think that would be appropriate here. Also, in Green, I think "The new ship must match the color of a ship that you already own in that system." deserves to be italicized, or underlined, or emphasized in some way, given the number of times it comes up with people just learning the game (myself included). You may note that I corrected the typo pointed out earlier in the thread in this paragraph.

Speaking of issues that come up with new players, myself included, under Sacrifice Actions I'd have an additional explanatory paragraph something like this:
Quote:
Sacrifice actions which draw upon the presence of certain ships cannot depend on the ship sacrificed. In carrying out sacrifice actions, the sacrificed ship is considered to be already removed. Example A: John sacrifices his only green ship in a system. He cannot use any resulting sacrifice actions to build green ships in that system, since he no longer has any green ships in that system. Example B: Jane sacrifices a large red ship, her only large ship in that system. If she intends to use any resulting sacrifice actions in that system, she cannot attack a large ship, since she no longer has any large ships in that system.

Under "Elimination and Winning": "You are never allowed to take an action or trigger a catastrophe that causes you to own no ships in your Homeworld at the end of your turn." This is not strictly the case. It is suicide, but not against the rules (I believe the PBEM game Andy Looney records on the Looney Labs site has him opt to go out this way in a blaze of glory rather than have his opponent deliver the killing blow).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
wolfkin
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
thanks for the feedback. in a week or two when i next get time I'm going to come back to this and see if I can update it I do appreciate this.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.