Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
mike dalziel
United Kingdom
Falkirk
Stirlingshire
flag msg tools
mb
Hi I thought I would post an ammendment I have been trying out.
Firstly I would like to say I love the system. My gripe is the scenarios play very quickly on a d6 though and I have tried using a d8.
Infantry and artillery hit on 7/8
Infantry charge on a 5/6/7/8
Light cav charge on a 6/7/8
Heavy cav charge on a 4/5/6/7/8
Leaders are hit on a d8 1 but are killed on a d6 1

Morale rolls still use a d6 as before

The net result is that firepower has a slower attritional effect and close combat has the same attritional effect.
My experience is that the d8 slows the pace of the game and for me gives a more pleasing effect.
Thoughts?
Mike

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lang Jones
United States
Kew Gardens
New York
flag msg tools
badge
Fly Eagles Fly!
mbmbmbmbmb
Its definitely interesting. I'll have to try it out and get back to you.

How many games have you played this way?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
mike dalziel
United Kingdom
Falkirk
Stirlingshire
flag msg tools
mb
10-12 battles.
I certainly prefer the pace of the game. I would be interested in the designers thoughts to see if he feels I have broken the system in any way.
Mike
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sean Chick (Formerly Paul O'Sullivan)
United States
New Orleans
Louisiana
flag msg tools
designer
Fag an bealac! Riam nar druid ar sbarin lann! Cuimhnigidh ar Luimnech agus feall na Sassonach! Erin go Bragh! Remember Limerick! Remember Ireland and Fontenoy!
badge
Well, I'm afraid it'll have to wait. Whatever it was, I'm sure it was better than my plan to get out of this by pretending to be mad. I mean, who would have noticed another madman round here?
mbmbmbmbmb
I have actually been leaning towards something like this, with a d12 system being tested. Tell me more on how it effects the game play?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
mike dalziel
United Kingdom
Falkirk
Stirlingshire
flag msg tools
mb
Hi Sean,
What I was looking for was a lowering of the attrition rate of firepower to allow the full horror of the battle to unfold rather than having it all over too quickly.
By reducing firepower from 1/3 to 1/4 per dice this dramatically slows down the hit rate, especially with terrain effects.
I felt that it was reasonable to keep close combat hits at 1/2, giving a good hit for the 2AP spend. I do however appreciate that reducing firepower and not close combat is more Silesian wars than syw and this does make elite troops proportionally better as they are more likely to get to close combat.
I considered a d12 and would be interested to see what you came up with?
Mike
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
New Orleans
Louisiana
flag msg tools
designer
Fag an bealac! Riam nar druid ar sbarin lann! Cuimhnigidh ar Luimnech agus feall na Sassonach! Erin go Bragh! Remember Limerick! Remember Ireland and Fontenoy!
badge
Well, I'm afraid it'll have to wait. Whatever it was, I'm sure it was better than my plan to get out of this by pretending to be mad. I mean, who would have noticed another madman round here?
mbmbmbmbmb
Write it out in a rules format and I'll post it as an optional rule in the next volume of the game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Peter Putnam
United States
Reisterstown
Maryland
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Real men use a D10. D10 is much better than d6, d8 or d12. Even a 5th grader can figure out the odds on a D10.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jon Snow
United States
New York City
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I strongly agree with the superiority of the D10!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
mike dalziel
United Kingdom
Falkirk
Stirlingshire
flag msg tools
mb
Hi Sean,
Here is the chart I use.

unit........... fire1.... fire2.... fire3.... inf combat...cav combat

reg inf......... 7-8...... 7-8 1dice............. 5-8

elite inf....... 7-8...... 7-8 1dice............. 5-8

grenz........... 8................................4-8

art............. 7-8.....7-8 2dice. 7-8 1dice

light cav ...... 8.......................................... 6-8

heavy cav .......8.......................................... 4-8

very interested in your thoughts and modifications.
yours mike
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
New Orleans
Louisiana
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Mike,

Write it out in word format and send it over. The above is a little messy. My e-mail is w0206451@selu.edu
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.