Subject: Ascalon: quick awakening ! rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Jaucelme Chassagnoux
France
Orléans
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
This is my second battle from the Infidel box and I play solitaire. The outnumbered Crusaders’ plan is to surprise the Fatimids, go through their infantry and inflict as many casualties as possible.

The Fatimids win the roll for the first activation. The Mamluk heavy cavalry is alerted. In continuation, the Berber cavalry is reorganized. Robert and Raymond are then activated and advance to face the Fatimid infantry. The vizir al-Afdal reorganizes the heavy cavalry, then the Berber cavalry advances on the left to close the gap between the infantry and the beach and the heavy cavalry moves behind the infantry line. The Fatimids have been lucky with their rolls. Fighting hasn’t begun and their army is now totally in position.

Godefroi advances on the left of the Crusader line. Then Raymond de Toulouse charges against the left of the Fatimid line: an Armenian archer is eliminated, another one is retired. Al-Afdal activates the Berber cavalry: a knight from Provence is trapped and eliminated. Robert de Normandie charges in turn, eliminating a Sudanese archer. Al-Afdal activates his archers: their fire routs a pikeman and eliminates a Flemish knight. The Bedouin cavalry moves in front of Godefroi. The archers fire again and a knight from Normandy is eliminated. Robert is activated and manages to rout or eliminate 3 pikemen and 1 Sudanese archer. The Crusaders have now 10 flight points and the Fatimids 7.

The Fatimid archers fire again: 2 more pikemen rout. Robert in the center routs or eliminates 2 more pikemen and 1 Sudanese archer. Then Raymond routs a Berber cavalry. It’s time for the archers to fire again. 2 more pikemen and a knight from Aquitaine become casualties. The Mamluk heavy cavalry charges for the coup de grace: 3 more pikemen and 1 archer are lost by the Crusaders. Godefroi de Bouillon’s standard is activated and 3 units are rallied. Alas the die roll gives a 9 so the Crusader army flees (16+9). The Egyptians win the day, having accumulated only 11 flight points. The battle was short: 21 activations only.

See also Wargaming great battles of history
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ralph Shelton
United States
Renton
Washington
flag msg tools
It can be hard on the Crusaders once the Fatimids get their Heavy Cavalry rolling.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dundy O
United States
Milwaukee
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
"Jesus said to him, “I am the way, and the truth, and the life. No one comes to the Father except through me."
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Great game, isn't it? It's like watching a movie.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Martyn Smith
England
Bourne
Lincolnshire
flag msg tools
badge
"We don't see things as they are, but as we are." Anais Nin
mbmbmbmbmb
Wister wrote:
Great game, isn't it? It's like watching a movie.

It's like being IN a movie
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Juan Luis Martinez
Spain
Madrid
Madrid
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Nice article.
Last time I played the Mamluks were deeply asleep until turn 3 and the crusaders won without serious problems.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.