Popular Tags: [View All]
Craig Duncan
United States
Ithaca
New York
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
When I originally got this game, I expected that I would prefer it without the tactics cards. As an afficionado of games with with a regular deck of cards, I thought that Battle Line without the tactics cards would appeal to my purist streak.

But, I have come really to enjoy the tactics cards. I think they are suprisingly thematic, they give opportunities for clever play, and since a player can play only up to one more tactics card than his opponent does, I don't find that they overpower the game.

So, I'm curious to hear what your favorite and least favorite tactics cards are.

Of course, it can be highly situational which tactics card will help you out the most, so to some extent the question is a bit indeterminate.

To make it as determinate a question as possible, let me phrase it this way:

--> Supposing you could choose, at the start of the game before any cards were dealt, to have one tactics card in your initial hand, what would it be?

(After choosing your single tactics card, assume that you are dealt six troop cards to bring your hand total to seven cards.)

As a reminder, here is a list of the tactics cards:

• Leader (Alexander, Darius): Wild card (any color, any value).

• Companion Cavalry: Value 8, wild color.

• Shield Bearers: Value 1-3 (your choice), wild color.

• Fog: The fog card disables all formations, and the flag is merely decided on the basis of the total value of cards on each side.

• Mud: The claim for this flag is now based on four cards on either side, so the formations need to be expanded.

• Scout: The player draws a total of three cards from one or both decks. Then he chooses any two cards from his hand and places them face down on top of their respective deck or decks.

• Redeploy: The player chooses any one Troop or Tactics card from his side next to an unclaimed flag, and places it face up into another of his available slots, or discards it.

• Deserter:
The player may choose any one Troop or Tactics card from the opponent's side next to an unclaimed flag, and discards it.

• Traitor: The player may choose anyone Troop card (but not a Tactics card) from the opponent's side next to an unclaimed flag, and places it into an empty slot on his own side.

Now, on with the poll:

Poll: If I could choose to have one tactics card at the start of the game...
1. ...my FIRST CHOICE of cards would be
Leader (wild)
Companion Calvary (wild 8)
Shield Bearers (wild 1-3)
Fog
Mud
Scout
Redeploy
Deserter
Traitor
2. ...my SECOND CHOICE of cards would be (that is, if my first choice were unavailable, then I would choose the following card)
Leader (wild)
Fog
Mud
Scout
Redeploy
Deserter
Traitor
3. ...my LAST CHOICE of cards would be (that is, my least favorite card is the following)
Leader (wild)
Fog
Mud
Scout
Redeploy
Deserter
Traitor
4. ...my SECOND-TO-LAST choice of cards would be
Leader (wild)
Fog
Mud
Scout
Redeploy
Deserter
Traitor
      46 answers
Poll created by cdunc123

Thanks in advance for the replies. Comments welcome!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ben
United States
Ann Arbor
Michigan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
My favorite is Mud, but it would not be my first choice. I just think that cards that change formation rules, like Mud and Fog, are more fun/interesting than the wild number/color cards.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve N
United Kingdom
Macclesfield
Cheshire
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Surprised there isn't much love for Scout. Being able to fish through the draw deck is super-powerful in itself. The fact you put them back on the top of the deck (so you know what they are) makes it even better. I'd always choose a Leader first, but Scout is definitely my second pick.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
B. L.
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
You should make a poll for the most annoying tactic card. I think Fog would be up there. Nothing worse than using a Shield Bearer to complete a run and then getting destroyed by fog.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Papenfuss
United States
Star
Idaho
flag msg tools
"Your results are back: it's negative"......um, is that a bad thing?
mbmbmbmbmb
ReggieMcFly wrote:
Surprised there isn't much love for Scout. Being able to fish through the draw deck is super-powerful in itself. The fact you put them back on the top of the deck (so you know what they are) makes it even better. I'd always choose a Leader first, but Scout is definitely my second pick.

This.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Craig Duncan
United States
Ithaca
New York
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
It's been 48 hrs or so since the initial poll. Looking at the results, I think it is fair to conclude that the most popular cards are the leaders and the traitor cards, and the least popular are the scout and calvary cards.

I'm not surprised by the favorites.

Like Mark and Steve above, I'm a little surprised by the lack of love for the Scout. It's helped me occasion (especially those occasions where my opponent has already played one more tactics card than me), by allowing me to fish for a high-power tactics card. Fishing toward the end of the game for that card you need to complete a straight flush is also a boon. And as Steve notes, it can be helpful that you stack the rejects on top of the deck, so you know what will be drawn.

FWIW, my least favorite is the redeploy card, followed by the calvary card.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Edko Fuzz
Spain
Barcelona
Catalunya
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Test
Love THE FOG I like to play with and without tactics cards, but I prefer to use them.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.