Subject: Any WW2 Euro Theatre Operational wargame suggestions? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Sean Dunn
United States
Hawthorne
California
flag msg tools
I have played several tactical wargames (C&C Ancients, Combat Commander Europe), and was looking to try an Operation level European wargame. But there are so many, how to choose? I don't want to go backrupt purchasing titles till I find one I shall really enjoy.

Can veteran kriegspielers advice me on what to get, what they consider to be the best of the bunch? I want something reasonably sophisticated.Avoid listing expensive, out of print games. For suggestions, could you list playtimes (and whether there are shorter and longer scenarios) and game complexity.

Thanks for any assistance you can provide.

EDIT: Does anyone have any familiarity with Roads to Moscow, No Retreat! The Russian Front, The Dark Valley: East Front 1941-45, Barbarossa Crimea, Barbarossa Kiev To Rostock, Totaler Krieger (more a strategic game), and Guderian's Blitzkrieg (old or new edition)? The Barbarossa games and Guderian (the new version has 2200 counters!) seem to be very veteran.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chad
United States
Denver
Colorado
flag msg tools
badge
We will bury you
mbmbmbmbmb
In my opinion

Is about as good as they come - granted this only focuses on the Western Theater. (Hexasim is supposedly working on an Eastern Front version as well).

Also, you may consider waiting for The Mighty Endeavor (2nd edition) - that is supposed to include both Fronts.

edit - saw your other questions

1) Play time

Cobra scenario: 1.5 to 2 hrs.
D-Day scenario: 6 to 8 hrs.
Campaign scenario: 15 to 20 hrs.

2) Cost you can pick it up for about $60 and it is currently in print
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tripp Ritter
United States
Seattle
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Anything by Mark Simonitch. I think the only one in print is France 40, but it is great. Later this year Ukraine 43 and Normandy 44 are coming out. Ardennes 44 is about to be reprinted, but it is longer.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Enrico Viglino
United States
Eugene
OR
flag msg tools
Slowed - BGG's moderation policies have driven me partially from here
badge
http://thegamebox.byethost15.com/smf/
mb
Napoleon at Bay: The Campaign in France, 1814 is a good starting point.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian Korreck
United States
Crystal Lake
Illinois
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
EastFront II
WestFront II
EuroFront II

Slap these boys together and you got yourself a ballgame.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Hunga Dunga
Canada
Coquitlam
British Columbia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Advanced European Theater of Operations

A new, easier version is supposed to be published "soon"...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Russ Williams
Poland
Wrocław
Dolny Śląsk
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmb
calandale wrote:

I'm guessing you didn't notice the "WW2" in the subject...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian Korreck
United States
Crystal Lake
Illinois
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
russ wrote:
calandale wrote:

Everyone knows WW2 had its origins in the Napoleonic Wars.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eddie Meister
United States
Peoria
Illinois
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Case Blue
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve Arthur
Australia
New South Wales
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Utrecht wrote:
In my opinion

Is about as good as they come - granted this only focuses on the Western Theater. (Hexasim is supposedly working on an Eastern Front version as well).

Also, you may consider waiting for The Mighty Endeavor (2nd edition) - that is supposed to include both Fronts.

edit - saw your other questions

1) Play time

Cobra scenario: 1.5 to 2 hrs.
D-Day scenario: 6 to 8 hrs.
Campaign scenario: 15 to 20 hrs.

2) Cost you can pick it up for about $60 and it is currently in print

My first choice too..

Although one or two people whose opinions I respect have high praise for this...The Supreme Commander
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Enrico Viglino
United States
Eugene
OR
flag msg tools
badge
mb
russ wrote:
calandale wrote:

I'd SWEAR that wasn't there.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve Vondra
United States
Charlottesville
Virginia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Tripp wrote:
Anything by Mark Simonitch. I think the only one in print is France 40, but it is great. Later this year Ukraine 43 and Normandy 44 are coming out. Ardennes 44 is about to be reprinted, but it is longer.

This!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sean Dunn
United States
Hawthorne
California
flag msg tools
Thanks for the suggestions so far. Case Blue is well esteemed but pricey. Advanced European Theater of Operations has a great map but $250 disqualified it. The Mark Simonitch games sound interesting and some of them seem to be available at reasonable prices, Ardennes and Caucasus campaigns. Liberty Roads and The Mighty Endeavour I had not heard of so far in my scatterbrained research.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sean McCormick
United States
Philadelphia
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I tend to think that the best WW2 operational games on the market are FAB: The Bulge and FAB: Sicily by a fairly wide margin. Smart, quick playing designs that give you good history and a strong focus on the proper command decisions.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Carter
United States
Marion
Iowa
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
France '40 works pretty well for an intro operational game. Comes with a pretty standard rule set and two scenarios.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Enrico Viglino
United States
Eugene
OR
flag msg tools
badge
mb
Wiccan of Oz wrote:
Thanks for the suggestions so far. Case Blue is well esteemed but pricey. Advanced European Theater of Operations has a great map but $250 disqualified it.,

They're also a bit much given what you've played.
I sure wouldn't have wanted to dive into either of these
without a good deal of experience in the designs that
preceded them.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tripp Ritter
United States
Seattle
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The Caucasus campaign is quite fun and benefits from a very low unit count. I found my copy relatively cheaply on Ebay. I will add my voice to those supporting Liberty Roads. It is a fun game, but at a much higher scale than the Simonitch designs.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonathan Townsend
Italy
Roma
Lazio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Morsecode ···–

This is great and often overlooked. Not to complicated but with enough colour to make it interesting.
It can be bought cheaply from Europe (UGG store) for only about Euroes 12 first-hand! What is the cost of shipping like to your domain?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Subatomic Birdicle
United States
flag msg tools
*chirp*
badge
*squawk*
mbmbmbmbmb
Some strange suggestions in here for an operational level game. Why are people recommending strategic and grand strategic level games?

I think Simonitch games are going to give you what you are looking for at a reasonable price.

How much room do you have? Is this for solitaire or FTF play?

The Operationsl Combat Series is not what I'd call a beginner's system but if you want to try it, Reluctant Enemies is about to ship. It is very small and comes with an Intro to OCS booklet, it is meant to help get new players into OCS.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rex Stites
United States
Lawrence
Kansas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Ardennes '44
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ronald Paulson

Roseville
Minnesota
msg tools
For operation games, A Victory Lost and A Victory Denied (both from MMP games) are good entry level wargames and quite well though of. A Victory Lost even won the Charles S. Roberts Best WWII Boardgame for 2006. You can check out their rules on the MMP website in order to see if they are what you are looking for.

On a more strategic level there is Barbarossa: The Russo-German War 1941-1945 from Decision Games World at War Magazine #1. Again, Decision Games has living rules posted on their web site so you can get an idea if it your cup of tea.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Zigi Hogan
United States
The Ozarks
Missouri
flag msg tools
badge
What's it going to be then, eh?
mbmbmbmbmb
vidbot wrote:

DAMMIT!

That was my answer!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Zigi Hogan
United States
The Ozarks
Missouri
flag msg tools
badge
What's it going to be then, eh?
mbmbmbmbmb
I am a HUGE fan of No Retreat! The Russian Front! This is a great game that really rewards players with an excellent gameplay and replayability.

In my book Carl Paradis is just one level below the baby Jesus (for those who aren't in the know; the baby Jesus of game design is Frank Chadwick).

I do not understand the reason wargamers suggest NR as a "intro" wargame. It has a relatively short (not light) ruleset but the exceptions have exceptions that have exceptions to their exceptions. Once you get through all of it (maybe two games worth) it really shines and is the one wargame I return to again and again with no hesitation.

My regular wargaming partner and I played our very first game of NR in approximately 3 hours (first scenario) and subsequent games are considerably shorter with less looking up of rules questions. As always with wargames they can go much longer or much shorter but I would think less than three hours is a good estimate for NR.

Unless I want a game that is more in depth historically I don't see a reason to get another Eastern Front wargame (not that there are few choices as you can't swing a stick without hitting one!). Battle for Moscow (second edition) is a great game to drag Euro gamers to the dark side though.devil

Truly great game, I have no clue if this even comes close to the answer you were looking for but....check it out!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeremy Fridy
United States
Kent
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
For a big ETO game that will take a lot of sessions? I would go with Totaler Krieg, it's not too hard to pick up, and you have a lot of options of how you want to fight your war. I admit I learned it wrong at first, but even then it was still a fun game.

For a FANTASTIC East Front game, No Retreat! is almost perfect. If you want a more classic wargaming experience, look for The Russian Campaign.

The Russian Campaign has a 6 page rulebook, and is very straightforward. The game is a classic even after decades.

No Retreat! The Russian Front is very low on counters, but plays in a logical way and feels "right," in that you never seem to be doing something just to game the system. It also has a solitaire Module available.

Also of note. You should be able to find a very cheap copy of the old Avalon Hill's Rise and Decline of the Third Reich. It was one of their most published games, and a classic for being really the first grand scale ETO game. The rules are a monster, but you can find a very fun light set of rules for called "Classic Third Reich" (6 page rulebook again) if you look in the files on the geek.

Also see what other wargamers you know are playing, they may just teach you their favorite and then you don't need to buy it yourself!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeremy Fridy
United States
Kent
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
In general I would recommend any game from Victory Point Games, but they have only done 2 theatre level wargames (3 if you count their Russian Front Solitaire Game, The Barbarossa Campaign) No Retreat! (which has a GMT upgrade,) and Paul Koenig's Fortress Europe, which looks to try to be a better take on the old AH game Fortress Europa

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.