flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Mode: Advanced Solo + Final Blow
Scheme: Legacy Virus
Mastermind: Dr. Doom
Villain Group: Maximum Carnage
Henchmen: Phalanx
Heroes: Colossus, Moon Knight & Spider-Woman

The Legacy Virus is one of those schemes that is pretty much always difficult in solo mode, but add the fact that there were only 8 heroes with a Tech icon, only 5 with the ability to avoid Wounds, plus a Mastermind who gimps your hand for not revealing a Tech hero, and you're in for quite the challenge. This may have been one of the hardest solo setups I've ever done, losing twice and winning only once with a single card left in the villain deck. Still, it was a ton of fun and allowed for plenty of meaningful choices! As long as you have a strategy, you'll have a fighting chance!

Right off the bat, get rid of any preconceived notions about Doom being too easy. In a game with so few Tech heroes, his Master Strike can really screw with your hand, making it tough to hit him and manage the city. In all three games I played, I was only able to start hitting him at around two or three turns before the end of the game. The good news is that his Tactics are nothing horrible, so once you are in the flow of hitting him you should be fine!

There are only 6 Wounds in the game, and only 8 Tech heroes, so clearly your strategy is going to be all recruiting Tech. Be careful though, all three heroes here have recruit commons, including Moon Knight's Tech common, and its easy to end up in a situation where you're all stars and no slashes. The first game I lost, I was playing turns where I had almost no 0-Cost heroes, but mustering up measly 5 or 6 attacks because of how recruit heavy my deck was. So be mindful of this, you may actually opt out of recruiting Moon Knight;s "Climbing Claws" if it will dilute your deck too much.

But then what about the Virus? Clearly you need Tech to avoid taking Wounds, right? Not so. Actually, the MVP of this setup isn't a Tech hero at all, it's Colossus's "Invulnerability." You can recruit up to 5 of these bad boys if you're lucky, allowing you to not only avoid-and-draw after a Scheme twist, but combo it well off of "Draw Their Fire," which would normally give you a Wound.

"Draw Their Fire" is a card that you may, at first, feel should be avoided like the plague in this setup, but that's where Spider-Woman steps in. "Radioactive Spider" is your second MVP, since it allows you to do so much in this game. Have a Wound? Put it on top of your deck and hit a Villain to feast it away. Have a "Draw Their Fire" but no "Invulnerability"? Put it on top of your deck, and hopefully next turn they will end up in a hand together. Using "Radioactive Spider" can also be useful on "Invulnerability" generally. No Scheme Twists OR "Draw Their Fire" this turn? Don't waste it on recruiting, put it on top of your deck in case you draw a scheme twist next hand.

Of course a lot of this relies on luck and good shuffling. The second game I played, I didn't see a single Invulnerability the entire game; they were all at the bottom of the Hero deck! Some games will be harder than others, and there's nothing you can do about it. But, I'd say "Invulnerability," "Radioactive Spider," "Draw Their Fire" and "Crescent Moon Darts," for its attack, draw potential, and Tech icon, are your four most important cards this setup. Recruit them any time you see them in the HQ!

Finally, a word on the villains. The Phalanx are great for thinning your deck, and even if you have a Tech card in your hand, I'd suggest not showing it until you've thinned out your four Troopers. As for Maximum Carnage, they can be very difficult unless you have "Radioactive Spider" in hand. If you do, its a breeze... just keep topping your deck with Wounds, Troopers or Agents and go after one of the Max Carnage guys!

However, despite everything I advise above, this is still a very, very difficult game. As I stated before, I only won one out of three attempts, and I did so with a single card left in the Villain Deck. Not only that, I hit Dr. Doom twice in that last turn. I mustered up 20 attack (needed 18) and had I not, I would have lost three of three. But don't let that discourage you, it's not impossible... just very, very challenging. And that's why we play this game, right? Give it a shot and post your results below!

(Picture of my very lucky, final hand)

---------------------------------------------

Previous Sessions:

Advanced Solo Strategy Session 009: Mysterio + Maximum Carnage vs. Colossus, Silver Surfer & X-Force Wolverine
Advanced Solo Strategy Session 008: Loki + Superhero Civil War vs. Black Widow, Forge, Hulk & Nightcrawler
Advanced Solo Strategy Session 007: Stryfe + Invincible Force Field vs. Blade, Hulk & Wolverine (X-Force)
Advanced Solo Strategy Session 006: Galactus + Jean Grey vs. Hawkeye, Nick Fury & Spider-Man
Advanced Solo Strategy Session 005: Doctor Doom + Marauders vs. Rogue, Cyclops & Iron Fist
Advanced Solo Strategy Session 004: Mephisto + Spider-Foes vs. Iceman, Human Torch & Spider-Man
Advanced Solo Strategy Session 003: Apocalypse + Skrulls vs. The Thing, Colossus & Blade
Advanced Solo Strategy Session 002: Kingpin + Emissaries of Evil vs. Spider-Man, Daredevil & Elektra
Advanced Solo Strategy Session 001: Stryfe + Emissaries of Evil vs. Blade, Captain America & Thor
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Guyver FeroZ
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Had a similar experience here though I was just using the base set.

We randomly set up the game Doctor Doom + Legacy Virus + Cyclops + Gambit + Wolvie + Thor + Storm. When we were done setting up and i thought about it. Oh crap we have no techs... The game didn't last very long. cry
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
I've been playing this game solo for about a week now. I've won every game and was getting a tad bored... It's no fun if it isn't a challenge.

And then I played this set up. Wow.

My hero deck was shuffled in my favor. I ended up with enough tech cards to have one in nearly every hand. I was able to defeat doom twice and defeated all of the villains and henchmen. The best I could do was end with a draw.

I'm looking forward to playing this challenge again.

Thanks for a great set-up and for saving this game from my ignore pile.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael M.
United States
Bloomington-Normal
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Midwest Razorback wrote:
I've been playing this game solo for about a week now. I've won every game and was getting a tad bored... It's no fun if it isn't a challenge.

And then I played this set up. Wow.

Glad you enjoyed it! Feel free to check out some of the other ones I posted and see if they tickle your fancy. I'm actually about to post another incredibly tough one...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ken Sinn
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmb
This is even tougher if you play against Loki, with a stable source for Tech + Power cards. (Loki master strike = reveal a power hero or gain a wound).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.