Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Carl Frodge
United States
Plantation
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
It seems a lot of the community dislikes combo-based or combo-oriented decks, but coming from yugioh, combo-decks appeal to me.

So what are some good combo decks?

What I mean by "combo" is just good card interactions. (ie: This card makes this card better, and this card let me use this card, which got me this.)

So any decks with lots of obvious and immediate card interaction.

Corp or Runner.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Peter O
United States
Oakland
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The "Big" corp combo deck uses Accelerate Diagnostics, Jackson Howard, Power Shutdown, and then a win condition. The Weyland version with Sea Source and Scorched Earth looks like the best to me.

A relatively new (and really only) runner combo deck is using Activist Support, Aesops, and NAPD, to give the corp a bad publicity and then run Blackmail.

An older combo I haven't seen mentioned in a year would be doing medium runs on R&D followed by a Demolition Run. It might be time to dig that out again, this time using Reina with stuff that gives extra clicks and/or runs on the same turn.

A bad corp "combo" is using commercialization with an advanced ice wall and recurring the heck out of it. Takes a long time to set up and doesn't win the game, just makes money.

Another corp combo uses Cerebral Imagining, builds a giant hand, then uses the various HB +actions to score all 7 points in one turn. There is also an Accelerated Diagnostics version to this as well.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ian Neufeld
Canada
Burnaby
British Columbia
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
"Combo deck" is also a term used in Magic: The Gathering with a different meaning to what you're describing. The community dislike of "combo decks" is related more to the MtG meaning of trying to put together an ideal board state which guarantees victory.

Positive card interactions are generally just "synergy" - cards that help each other out, instead of seeming to go in different directions.

So a synergy might be:

Demolition Run + Medium / Nerve Agent / R&D Interface / HQ Interface (thereby allowing you to trash multiple cards in a single run).

But a combo would be:

Midseasons Replacement + Psychographics + Project Beale

[Edited to discuss synergy vs combo, since it better addresses the question]
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
mathew rynich
United States
Connecticut
flag msg tools
Argama Flight Crew
badge
INFERNO BLADE!
mbmbmbmbmb
Combos really seem like more of a corp thing.

The big one is SEA Source + Scorched Earth + Scorched Earth.

Another big one is Midseasons Replacement + Project Beale + Psychographics.

A third is Puntative Counterstrike + Puntative Counterstrike + Puntative Counterstrike

All require you to have alot of money on hand. They are hit or miss. There are ways to try and improve your odds of getting them off. Either way you still have to try to win by agendas to put pressure on the runner. Otherwise they will take advantage of you while you sit there and build money and wait for your combo.

The new hotness is to play a combo to fetch your combo. That combo is:
Jackson Howard + Power Shutdown + Accelerated Diagnostics.

Install Jackson Howard, play Power Shutdown (trash whole R&D) then trash Jackson to pull one of the above combos out of the trash and put the alone in R&D. Play Accel Diag to now execute the combo.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ian Neufeld
Canada
Burnaby
British Columbia
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
phillosmaster wrote:
Combos really seem like more of a corp thing.

The biggest Runner "combo" I can think of is the Medium "Big Dig" which basically goes like this:

Setup: Install Djinn, use Djinn to tutor for Mediums, install them on Djinn. Run on HQ and Remotes, but avoid touching R&D. The goal here is to keep the Corp's resources busy defending other things and end up with no Ice rezzed on R&D. If you end up running it to put pressure on them, try to destroy the Ice with Parasite, or otherwise ensure that the cost to get into R&D is negligible.

Combo-activating turn: When the Corp is broke, run R&D like crazy. If you need to Vamp or Account Siphon the Corp to make them broke as the first click, do that. The first run may only get you 1 card, but each subsequent run will reveal 3 cards deeper (each of the 3 Mediums get a virus token). If you have Joshua B or Quality Time to give you extra clicks, burn them. If you have a Demolition Run to trash cards, use it on the second-to-last run to maximize R&D penetration. If you have Maker's Eye, use it on the final run.

Even if you have to spend 1 click draining the Corporation with Vamp, the 3rd run will reveal 7 cards deep into R&D. And if the Corp doesn't have a way to quickly recover money enough to rez Ice on R&D, next turn will be devastating (3 Mediums with 7 tokens each will reveal 22 cards - more than half of what the Corp should have left in their deck).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Simon Gunkel
msg tools
mb
A variant on Midseason-Psychographics is including the combo in a Custom Biotics deck. While it doesn't have access to Beale, it does have access to Project Vitruvius (allowing you to recycle Psychographics), Project Ares (nice Rig you had there), ManUp (No overadvance bonus, but it's hard to score this without a combo).
This makes the combo easier to pull off, since you don't require 3 specific cards - the Agenda slot can be taken by multiple cards that all come with additional upside.

There's a video of me running a deck featuring this combo on YT(https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p_wrMR7S3xM) - I lost there (count the number of accesses the runner had... grumble), but did pull off the combo.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alejandro G.
United States
Hurst
Texas
flag msg tools
Sometimes you have to roll the hard six.
badge
I'm getting my men...
mbmbmbmbmb
tranenturm wrote:
The "Big" corp combo deck uses Accelerate Diagnostics, Jackson Howard, Power Shutoff Shutdown, and then a win condition. The Weyland version with Sea Source and Scorched Earth looks like the best to me.

A relatively new (and really only) runner combo deck is using Activist Support, Aesops, and NAPD, to give the corp a bad publicity and then run Blackmail.

An older combo I haven't seen mentioned in a year would be doing medium runs on R&D followed by a Demolition Run. It might be time to dig that out again, this time using Reina with stuff that gives extra clicks and/or runs on the same turn.

A bad corp "combo" is using commercialization with an advanced ice wall and recurring the heck out of it. Takes a long time to set up and doesn't win the game, just makes money.

Another corp combo uses Cerebral Imagining, builds a giant hand, then uses the various HB +actions to score all 7 points in one turn. There is also an Accelerated Diagnostics version to this as well.

Just so there is no confusion.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nate K
United States
Utah
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
No one wants to mention Account Syphon/Joshua B. + Data Leak Reversal? Just mill out the Corp?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Simon Gunkel
msg tools
mb
The full combo is DLR, Joshua B, John Masanori, NACH, Crash Space, 2 link and 2 Underworld connection. gain click, make unsuccessful run, mill 3, remove tag with Crash Space, prevent tag with NACH. The Problem: You put a lot of your deck into this and even if you manage to assemble the combo you give the corp 7 or so turns in which you just run through the motions. That's often enough for them to win.

If you want to mill, your best bet is still Noise - Keyhole gets 4 from an unprotected RnD (and Parasite can create such openings), you play out your viruses and use Demolition run in conjunction with Medium to take off chunks from RnD. That can get you there (I did recently mill one opponent in a store tourney. Though I have to note that he did use Power Shutdown to get rid of 2 Keyholes - so he did mill himself for 8, which helped a lot).

The small version of Masanori+DLR only mills 2 a turn - Noise can do better when you use your viruses correctly. When Cache comes in even more so.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.