Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
James Resner
United States
austin
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Just received the Full Series Collector (Base, Masters & Collector).

I'm reigning in my little kid desire to open, punch and touche everything with the adult OCD to organize everything.

Is it "safe" to combine both sets off the bat and start with the Basic Rules/scenarios etc. or should they remain separated?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ryan Langewisch
United States
Englewood
Colorado
flag msg tools
badge
www.ludolodge.com
mbmbmbmbmb
I don't have the Master Set yet, but I believe you should be fine combining everything as it just adds "more of the same" as opposed to new rules.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Williams
United States
Lubbock
Texas
flag msg tools
"Let us go out this evening for pleasure; the night is still young."
badge
STOP! WHOSE TURN IS IT NEXT?
mbmbmbmbmb
Don't even open the Master set yet. Play through the Base game a few times and then crack open the big box. There is plenty of variety and gameplay options to explore in the smaller set.

You'll love it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Williams
United States
Lubbock
Texas
flag msg tools
"Let us go out this evening for pleasure; the night is still young."
badge
STOP! WHOSE TURN IS IT NEXT?
mbmbmbmbmb
Legendary wrote:
I don't have the Master Set yet, but I believe you should be fine combining everything as it just adds "more of the same" as opposed to new rules.

You are correct, the Master set adds little to no rules, just MORE MORE MORE of everything. It is "safe" to add everything from the start. I'd still jst play with the main set a few times and then add the Master so that you can better appreciate the expansion. But that's just me.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dr Who
msg tools
mb
yup, very safe to just add it all in

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bryan Watson
United States
Farmington
Minnesota
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
And it is nice having terrain from direct ages and nice having a separate card deck for each team. It is very easy yo separate later if you desire. Characters are numbered (1-48 base, 49+ Master), and everything is cleanly delineated. COMBINE AWAY!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Resner
United States
austin
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
nastywarnob wrote:
And it is nice having terrain from direct ages and nice having a separate card deck for each team. It is very easy yo separate later if you desire. Characters are numbered (1-48 base, 49+ Master), and everything is cleanly delineated. COMBINE AWAY!

The little kid in me channels Homer.. Woo Hoo!!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Denise Lavely
United States
Carmel
Indiana
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Personally, I would open the Master Set and take out the second player deck & then at least run through the tutorial missions before you start combining anything. The Master Set cards are sometimes more of the same, but a lot of the cards in the Master Set are non-intuitive as to what the heck they are good for until you have a few games under your belt. And many of the Master Set characters are more challenging to play than the Basic Set ones - give yourself a chance to figure out the game first. DOAII is a game with a lot going on, it really does work best to take it in bites at first.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Resner
United States
austin
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm watching Ricky Royal's play through right now and I must say the number of challenge card draws is somewhat off-putting - I'm concerned that it might be too much for my wife to put up with.

Has Worldspanner considered some sort of dice based mechanic instead for some of these things?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Richard
United States
San Diego
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
There is a dice chart you can use instead, but the card system is much simpler. Rolling a die and a lookup chart would be going the wrong way

The challenge card system is incredibly simple once you do it. The hardest part is just keeping all the symbols straight for each action but that'll come relatively quickly.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mr G
United Kingdom
Hatfield Heath
Essex
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Rochambeaux wrote:
I'm watching Ricky Royal's play through right now and I must say the number of challenge card draws is somewhat off-putting - I'm concerned that it might be too much for my wife to put up with.

Has Worldspanner considered some sort of dice based mechanic instead for some of these things?

In practice, the card draw system is WAY better than dice. It is easy to get into after a few turns, a lot faster than rolling dice, and provides significant tension each time.

What is it exactly that puts her off?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Johan Haglert
Sweden
Örebro
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Rochambeaux wrote:
Just received the Full Series Collector (Base, Masters & Collector).

I'm reigning in my little kid desire to open, punch and touche everything with the adult OCD to organize everything.

Is it "safe" to combine both sets off the bat and start with the Basic Rules/scenarios etc. or should they remain separated?

You can combine it all but I wouldn't for the first learning games because there's no real need to.

It will just be more work trying to find the correct characters since they are specified and such.

It's no biggie if you do combine them though. I think all the items and labyrinths is very much the same, some of the characters imho is a little more complicated but that's it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Richard
United States
San Diego
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I just wanted to reiterate what others have said in light of worrying about the complexity of the challenge cards.

1. Definitely go through the tutorial missions step by step. They are pretty fun in their own right.

2. Do not mix the Master Set into the Basic Set until you've gone through the learning missions and probably a couple of games after that. It has nothing to do with any issues being mixed but the complexity of the items and characters in the Master Set is higher. You will not be left wanting by playing the Basic Set for a while but you may indeed be left with an overloaded gaming partner by introducing the Master Set too early
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Williams
United States
Vista
CA
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I do think we're going to use a D10 for dismissing and banishment. Seems quicker than drawing another card.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Richard
United States
San Diego
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The Old Man wrote:
I do think we're going to use a D10 for dismissing and banishment. Seems quicker than drawing another card.

I painted a d10 just for that. I like it
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Resner
United States
austin
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Coren wrote:
The Old Man wrote:

Is it a 50-50 chance using the cards?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul Brillantes
United States
Livermore
California
flag msg tools
This space left intentionally blank.
badge
One last tour here on the Death Star and I can retire. What was that noise?!
mbmbmbmbmb
Rochambeaux wrote:
Coren wrote:
The Old Man wrote:

Is it a 50-50 chance using the cards?

I am assuming that he painted the faces of the d10 to match the colors of the numbers on the domes. (eg. the '8' and '9' faces would have been painted orange)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Richard
United States
San Diego
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Correct. I was uploading a picture of it my gallery. I have since found faceless dice which would have been nicer, but this works.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul Brillantes
United States
Livermore
California
flag msg tools
This space left intentionally blank.
badge
One last tour here on the Death Star and I can retire. What was that noise?!
mbmbmbmbmb
Coren wrote:
Correct. I was uploading a picture of it my gallery. I have since found faceless dice which would have been nicer, but this works.

That looks great to me and the numbers are there if you happen to have someone in the game who is color vision impaired.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Cole Wehrle
United States
St. Paul
Minnesota
flag msg tools
designer
badge
"Work as if you live in the early days of a better nation"
mbmbmbmbmb
We threw everything together right away and kinda regret it. Play with just the basic cards for the first several games then "reward" yourself with a few new cards at a time. Just think of it like an LCG where you already have the full set .
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Resner
United States
austin
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Cole Wehrle wrote:
We threw everything together right away and kinda regret it. Play with just the basic cards for the first several games then "reward" yourself with a few new cards at a time. Just think of it like an LCG where you already have the full set .

LOL - that's a great analogy. I recently just completed my LoTR LCG collection; have only played a few games with the base set. I had to indulge my OCD side and make a very detailed organization approach to keep everything separated until I come to that set

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.