Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
United States
Lutz
Florida
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Well, I finally got around to reading the Arctic Bounty rules. I've had the box sitting unopened since I got it a week or so ago.

As I read about the new licenses, one at a time, my response was WOW, that's awesome, it's gonna win me the game...

Until I read about the next licenses and said... that's awesome, it's gonna win me the game.

These new licenses look great. Can't wait to try them. Char especially.. an EXTRA launch and an EXTRA captain AND free captains for ALL launches. I had to read it three times to be sure. That's awesome!

WOW, just can't wait to play. hopefully my first Arctic Bounty play, maybe even with 5p this Saturday. Can't wait!

That's Awesome...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Lutz
Florida
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Then I read about the Marina.

That's Insane...

Where am I gonna get all the Boat cards to do all this stuff. Maybe I'll have to catch them with my Swordfish license.

My head is swimming. (pun intended)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Will Moller
United States
Lincoln
Nebraska
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Marina is cool, but only goes so far since the cap on boat values in total is 7VP i think. You could do that with 3 king crabs relatively easily if you don't own a crab license. I also look forward to my first Arctic Bounty play.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sky Zero
United States
Illinois
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
It is awesome for sure. Haven't had anyone I introduced it to say anything negative. Nothing but good things.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Lutz
Florida
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Got my first play in. We did setup wrong so I did really poorly getting a DFO as my first license.

But, the Guy that got the first Char license, then his second license was a tuna ran away with that game winning with like 40 points that the other two players. It's too early to say Char is over powered, but WOW!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve Carey
United States
West Coast
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
pilotbob wrote:
It's too early to say Char is over powered, but WOW!

Any update on this? Char seems to be one of the very best licenses in the entire game.

For example, later in one session I had 2 Shrimp licenses along with 1 Char (in addition to several other mixed licenses). Basically I was able to launch 2 boats (Char bonus) for free (Shrimp discount) and then captain them for free (Char bonus)... easily ran away with the game.

Pacific Oyster is an excellent license, also. I like the extra capacity and also the option for 2 VP's or 1 VP + 1 coin.

Swordfish is a a bit more tricky. Exchanging a crate for a card is nice, but the discard/redraw isn't as great (often I find myself with cards that I already want/need, or several times I redrew a worse card!).

Simply an excellent expansion...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Lutz
Florida
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
It's weird, we used to play Fleet quite a bit. But, since I got the expansion I have only played it a few times. Not because of the expansion, but you know, just general rotation and new games coming in, etc.

So, the jury is still out on Char for me.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian
United States
Nassau County
New York
flag msg tools
I've only played with Char twice, and both times it seemed really powerful. At the same time, Swordfish has been very unpopular.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve Carey
United States
West Coast
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
lankyb wrote:
I've only played with Char twice, and both times it seemed really powerful.

Same here - Char grants the bonus addition of both Lobster and Cod. Plus it captains for free, too!

There's probably no urgent need to get a second Char license, other than to deny it to an opponent.

Char boats are an excellent 2/2/2.

A Char license is a very respectable 4 cost/4 VP's.

I don't see any weakness with Char, so bid high and bid often lads...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.