Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Scott Sexton
United States
Silver Lake
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Per AEG, there will be four factions in the first release: The Law Dogs, The Sloane Gang, Morgan Cattle Company, and The Fourth Ring.

I seem to remember the Morgan Cattle Company (not as a faction, but in the fiction - seems like a replacement for Sweetrock), but the Sloane Gang (replacing the Black Jacks) and Fourth Ring (an evil circus faction that sounds a bit like the Whatleys/Flock) are something new to the story. Sounds like this may be a continuation of the story Per AEG:

"Doomtown: Reloaded will feature an all-new story that delves into the rebuilding of Gomorra and the struggle for control among its citizens and factions. Just as you send your dudes to control Deeds and ultimately win the game, these factions will fight tooth and nail to press their will on the re-growing town.

Doomtown veteran Tim Meyer is leading a story team. We will introduce them all and their stories will bring to life this vibrant setting in the coming weeks and months!"

It also sounds like they will be following FFG's model for releasing new product:

"The model we will be adopting will be to start releasing small “Saddlebags” a few months after the base set. These will be interspersed with periodic larger releases. The Saddlebags will release at approximately two per quarter (unless there is a bigger release scheduled). The first three Saddlebags will contain a play set of four copies of each card, and there will 21 cards per Saddlebag."

The base game will include:

286 Cards
Token Punchboard
Town Square Game Board
Learn to Play Book
Rulebook

There will also be a "Deluxe" base set too.

Finally, there is mention on the AEG website of something that sounds like an organized play system similar to what they did with the original Doomtown.

Edit- Those with a keen eye will recognize some of the 6 cards that are being previewed as cards from the old sets with new art and flavor. Pay special attention to the flavor text for the Pony Express. It seems like at least one character from the old game will make an appearance in the story. Max Baine.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Cookingham
United States
Poughkeepsie
New York
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I used to love playing this game.

If the base game includes well designed prebuilt decks, then I will be sure to buy this. If it provides semi-built decks (such as FFG), then I am going to pass. I have no interest in deck building or chasing boosters.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Sexton
United States
Silver Lake
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
cookinjr wrote:

If the base game includes well designed prebuilt decks, then I will be sure to buy this. If it provides semi-built decks (such as FFG), then I am going to pass. I have no interest in deck building or chasing boosters.

Yeah, they are going to use the FFG/Arcane Wonders model, not the Plaid Hat model. Its pretty clear from their press release and website. Sorry. Half the fun of the original was deck building.

I would suspect though that they will give you starter deck lists that you can build and have balanced with just the starter set (like what Mage Wars' starter set has with it).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric Jome
United States
Franklin
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mb
cookinjr wrote:
I have no interest in deck building or chasing boosters.

If it is anything like Netrunner, you'll have a wealth of things online you could just copy.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sean Geraghty
United States
California
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
cookinjr wrote:

Doomtown Reloaded wrote:
The model we will be adopting will be to start releasing small “Saddlebags” a few months after the base set. These will be interspersed with periodic larger releases. The Saddlebags will release at approximately two per quarter (unless there is a bigger release scheduled). The first three Saddlebags will contain a play set of four copies of each card, and there will 21 cards per Saddlebag.

I wouldn't call that chasing boosters. Your gaming group either buys the Saddlebags or it doesn't. Sounds like the game is extremely playable right out of the box.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave Kudzma
United States
Millsboro
Delaware
flag msg tools
designer
People are...
badge
SPOCKED!!
mbmbmbmbmb
scottatlaw wrote:
cookinjr wrote:

Yeah, they are going to use the FFG/Arcane Wonders model, not the Plaid Hat model. Its pretty clear from their press release and website. Sorry. Half the fun of the original was deck building.

I would suspect though that they will give you starter deck lists that you can build and have balanced with just the starter set (like what Mage Wars' starter set has with it).

Yep, I bet their core will be fantastically replayable, but the system as a whole will assume you are going to build decks.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
fightcitymayor
United States
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
"This is a really weird game, and you’ll find that most people will not want to play this."
mb
cosine wrote:
cookinjr wrote:
If it is anything like Netrunner, you'll have a wealth of things online you could just copy.
Exactly.
Even with big-time CCGs that require deckbuilding, half of the decks you see at a Friday Night Magic event are just netdecks (aka decks created by searching the internet for popular/powerful decks and simply constructing those.)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
fightcitymayor
United States
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
"This is a really weird game, and you’ll find that most people will not want to play this."
mb
scottatlaw wrote:
Per AEG, there will be four factions in the first release: The Law Dogs, The Sloane Gang, Morgan Cattle Company, and The Fourth Ring.

I seem to remember the Morgan Cattle Company (not as a faction, but in the fiction - seems like a replacement for Sweetrock), but the Sloane Gang (replacing the Black Jacks) and Fourth Ring (an evil circus faction that sounds a bit like the Whatleys/Flock) are something new to the story.
Makes me wonder if some copyrights to some of the proper names were lost in the interim, thus thematically similar factions with new names.

I remember when Hasbro started releasing 3.75" GI Joe figures again after a long absence they found out some of the code-names had been copyrighted elsewhere over the years, so they were forced to change some names. Which was kind of awkward, but shouldn't affect Doomtown quite so badly.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Todd Rowland
United States
Mobile
Alabama
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
Never know what's next.
mbmbmbmbmb
fightcitymayor wrote:
scottatlaw wrote:

I seem to remember the Morgan Cattle Company (not as a faction, but in the fiction - seems like a replacement for Sweetrock), but the Sloane Gang (replacing the Black Jacks) and Fourth Ring (an evil circus faction that sounds a bit like the Whatleys/Flock) are something new to the story.
Makes me wonder if some copyrights to some of the proper names were lost in the interim, thus thematically similar factions with new names.

I remember when Hasbro started releasing 3.75" GI Joe figures again after a long absence they found out some of the code-names had been copyrighted elsewhere over the years, so they were forced to change some names. Which was kind of awkward, but shouldn't affect Doomtown quite so badly.

Nope. :)

We still have all the rights and everything, we just wanted to move the story onwards. We hope to grow a lot of new communities of players, and giving them a story they can follow, and new characters they can latch onto from the start is important to that. The older fans will still see the hands of a few popular (surviving) characters in the story, but this is really a new day in Gomorra.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave Kudzma
United States
Millsboro
Delaware
flag msg tools
designer
People are...
badge
SPOCKED!!
mbmbmbmbmb
AEGTodd wrote:
fightcitymayor wrote:
scottatlaw wrote:

Nope.

We still have all the rights and everything, we just wanted to move the story onwards. We hope to grow a lot of new communities of players, and giving them a story they can follow, and new characters they can latch onto from the start is important to that. The older fans will still see the hands of a few popular (surviving) characters in the story, but this is really a new day in Gomorra.

I hate you Todd Rowland, you and the money I'm going to force upon you. I know both our suffering will be great, but somehow we both shall endure.

On a more serious note:

I've been doing LCGs for so many years it will almost be weird to get back to the 4 of each math rather than the 3 of each in the FFG stuff. I'm looking forward to the entire experience.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Todd Rowland
United States
Mobile
Alabama
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
Never know what's next.
mbmbmbmbmb
locusshifter wrote:
AEGTodd wrote:
fightcitymayor wrote:
scottatlaw wrote:

Nope.

I hate you Todd Rowland, you and the money I'm going to force upon you. I know both our suffering will be great, but somehow we both shall endure.

On a more serious note:

I've been doing LCGs for so many years it will almost be weird to get back to the 4 of each math rather than the 3 of each in the FFG stuff. I'm looking forward to the entire experience.

Ah but that's the fun of Doomtown. The way your learning of how to play evolves over time. The "4 of each" is the assumption at first, but as you play more and more, you may find that even 2 or 3 of each may be too many. If Lucy Clover is on the field, then another Lucy is doing absolutely nothing for you in your deck except being a poker value. And if that's the case, why not find a useful action or goods for that slot. Well that means less chance of drawing Lucy...

That's the challenge of it!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
fightcitymayor
United States
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
mb
AEGTodd wrote:
Nope.

We still have all the rights and everything, we just wanted to move the story onwards.
thumbsup

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Sexton
United States
Silver Lake
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
AEGTodd wrote:
fightcitymayor wrote:
scottatlaw wrote:

Nope.

I think it might be nice if AEG were to have a summary of the back story posted when the game comes out. I think I remember most everyone who is still "alive", but not everyone.

I think Wendy Chaing, and Nate Hunter were still alive, but I don't remember if JP Coleman was still around. I thought that Black Jack was still alive, but the absence of his gang certainly doesn't bode well for him.

Then again, I don't really care what happens as long as Cort Williams is still alive and makes a return.

It would also be interesting to see if Austin Stoker turns back up.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dan Knight
United Kingdom
Huddersfield
West Yorkshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Todd any chance of a sneaky peek at what the new fictions will be?

Will there be a bridge piece covering the events of the last 30 years so we can see what happened to the factions not appearing?

Also, is your job for the next few days "sit on social media and taunt the yokels"
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Todd Rowland
United States
Mobile
Alabama
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
Never know what's next.
mbmbmbmbmb
Whizzwang wrote:
Todd any chance of a sneaky peek at what the new fictions will be?

Not yet, but some of the prologue style fictions will be going online well before the release of the game.

Quote:
Also, is your job for the next few days "sit on social media and taunt the yokels" ;)

No, that's my hobby.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Davido
United States
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
@locusshifter: I'm a hard core double barrel/derringer kinda guy, and some folks are bike fans, but it looks like the saddlebags will be 4x so you can play however you wanna play:

@scottalaw: only 15 survived-some are spoiled already for DT:R, but while the old guard may be a nice bridge, it's looking like a lot of fresh new faces (or grizzled old faces we never saw before)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Boeren
United States
Marietta
Georgia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I had been expecting a change to a 3x limit, but whatever.

Even in existing 3x games I tend to put in a fair number of 2x cards, especially with Unique cards.

The main difference is that I'll be squeezing 8 cards into each pocket of my card-pages instead of 6. Should be ok, but it will be a little tight. At least there's no risk of them falling out.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
B.D. Flory
United States
New York
flag msg tools
scottatlaw wrote:
AEGTodd wrote:
fightcitymayor wrote:
scottatlaw wrote:

Nope.

I think it might be nice if AEG were to have a summary of the back story posted when the game comes out. I think I remember most everyone who is still "alive", but not everyone.

I think Wendy Chaing, and Nate Hunter were still alive, but I don't remember if JP Coleman was still around. I thought that Black Jack was still alive, but the absence of his gang certainly doesn't bode well for him.

Then again, I don't really care what happens as long as Cort Williams is still alive and makes a return.

It would also be interesting to see if Austin Stoker turns back up.

This may or may not have any bearing on what they do with the new fictions, but...

Of the names you list, Wendy, Blackjack and Cort made it.

Nate, JP, and Stoker are toast.

Also, Wendy's got new art on the latest ad, so she'll obviously be a presence in the new game.

-B
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christopher Hanson
United States
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I damn near hit the ceiling when I found out this was coming out. I'm so flipping excited, I can't wait.

I just hope some Col/TR cameos happen.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Richard Bingle
United States
ORLANDO
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
AEGTodd wrote:

Nope.

Anyone else left cold by "we just wanted to move the story onwards"? It's been 12 years! This seems more like "hey, maybe we can pimp some more money out of the old fans with the rights we squandered/mismanaged in less than a year back in 2001!"

Will I buy in (again)? I'm still on the fence. I bet I still have some unopened starters and boosters in the back of the closet from the last go-round...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul Martin
Japan
Edogawa
Tokyo
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
AEGTodd wrote:
fightcitymayor wrote:
scottatlaw wrote:

Nope.

How about the art? I see the original joker art is coming back, which is fantastic - will we see any other familiar art, or artists? Paolo Parente's art the first time around was amazing, and Todd Lockwood's original Black Jack was maybe my favorite art from the game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dan Keller
United States
Raleigh
North Carolina
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
bingle wrote:
AEGTodd wrote:

Nope.

Anyone else left cold by "we just wanted to move the story onwards"?

Nope, seems quite logical frankly. Why re-hash the same story over again? Because that's worked SOOOO well for Hollywood....

Quote:
It's been 12 years! This seems more like "hey, maybe we can pimp some more money out of the old fans with the rights we squandered/mismanaged in less than a year back in 2001!"

Will I buy in (again)? I'm still on the fence. I bet I still have some unopened starters and boosters in the back of the closet from the last go-round...

Then feel free to continue to play with those cards. No AEG black helicopters will be coming to confiscate them. I still have a good number of decks that I'll keep around along with a box full of extras. They're not going anywhere.

Myself? I'm all in on the new game. It's an opportunity to introduce this fantastic game and setting to some new blood and get some new cowpokes playing. It's also an opportunity to experience a brand new tale and see what's been happening since we last left town.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
B.D. Flory
United States
New York
flag msg tools
bingle wrote:

Anyone else left cold by "we just wanted to move the story onwards"? It's been 12 years! This seems more like "hey, maybe we can pimp some more money out of the old fans with the rights we squandered/mismanaged in less than a year back in 2001!"

It makes no kind of business sense to produce a game that's been dead for twelve years if all you want to do is make money off old fans. If that were viable, they would've done it twelve years ago.

If the game is going to prosper, it needs to appeal to people who have never heard of it, as well as the old hands.

-B
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Richard Bingle
United States
ORLANDO
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
chopperdan wrote:
bingle wrote:
AEGTodd wrote:

Nope.

Anyone else left cold by "we just wanted to move the story onwards"?

Nope, seems quite logical frankly. Why re-hash the same story over again? Because that's worked SOOOO well for Hollywood....

Quote:
It's been 12 years! This seems more like "hey, maybe we can pimp some more money out of the old fans with the rights we squandered/mismanaged in less than a year back in 2001!"

Then feel free to continue to play with those cards. No AEG black helicopters will be coming to confiscate them. I still have a good number of decks that I'll keep around along with a box full of extras. They're not going anywhere.

Myself? I'm all in on the new game. It's an opportunity to introduce this fantastic game and setting to some new blood and get some new cowpokes playing. It's also an opportunity to experience a brand new tale and see what's been happening since we last left town.

Not sure if that was supposed to be sarcasm, but depending on the franchise, it has (sadly) worked remarkably well for Hollywood.

Maybe I just didn't "get" the whole "progressive storyline" thing. Maybe because I never played in any of the storyline tournaments. Maybe because for me the simple backstory and mechanics and my imagination were enough. I didn't need (or particularly want) the story being "moved" for me.

Maybe I feel burned by their previous (IMO failed) attempt.

As for "feel free to continue to play with those cards" I haven't played with them in years because the community moved on (or back) to other card games leaving opponents hard to find. I remember showing up to one tournament as the sole entry.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Sexton
United States
Silver Lake
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
bd flory wrote:
[q="scottatlaw"][q="AEGTodd"][q="fightcitymayor"][q="scottatlaw"]Per AEG, there will be four factions in the first release: The Law Dogs, The Sloane Gang, Morgan Cattle Company, and The Fourth Ring.

Nate, JP, and Stoker are toast.

-B

Nice to see a framiliar face from the old doomtown listserve.

I don't remember Nate or Stoker dying. JP I think might have had a deal with the Rangers where they'd kill him after he dealt with Jim MacNiel, but could you refresh what happened? What happened to Nate? I thought Stoker simply disappeared after Knicknevin was destroyed.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.