Recommend
 
 Thumb up
 Hide
26 Posts
1 , 2  Next »   | 

Android: Netrunner» Forums » General

Subject: Blackmail - A complete misnomer rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
The Lord of Space
msg tools
This isn't really a thread to complain about its effects in game, but rather to observe how utterly backwards it is given its name.

Definition:

Blackmail, verb, to demand property from a person in return for not revealing damaging information about that person.


Blackmail, the card,
Event: Run • Cost: 1 • Influence: 0

Play only if the Corp has at least 1 bad publicity.
Make a run. The Corp cannot rez ice for the duration of this run.



So, you're going to the corporation and demanding access to their server, ostensibly to steal more sensitive information (hey Weyland, I'll expose your Vulcan Coverup and in the process reveal damaging information about you publicly) and in return you won't reveal damaging information that is in fact already publicly revealed which is how you acquired it allowing you to play this operation in the first place.

Uh, what?


Here is what I believe the card should have been:

Blackmail, the card,
Event: Run • Cost: 1 • Influence: 0

Make a run. When the run ends, give the Corp 1 bad publicity if he or she rezzed any ice during the run.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Zeb
United States
New Hampshire
flag msg tools
You found me!
badge
Hiss.
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
I think the point is that you're pressuring/blackmailing an employee in order to obtain access to internal servers.
34 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew Keddie
Wales
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmb
Zebadiah wrote:
I think the point is that you're pressuring/blackmailing an employee in order to obtain access to internal servers.


This. You're blackmailing someone to sabotage the corp defenses for you. Serves the Corp right for doing those shady deals (BadPub) in the first place
3 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
jakusotsu
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Zebadiah wrote:
I think the point is that you're pressuring/blackmailing an employee in order to obtain access to internal servers.


This is it. The employee is grasping at his collar reading a blackmail e-mail. Later on in the day, at an appointed time described in the e-mail, he silences a triggered alarm designed to enable the automated ICE defenses. The runner sneaks by.

And the next day, the Runner performs the Same Old Thing...
8 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dirk Tebben
United States
Georgia
flag msg tools
mb
jakusotsu wrote:
Zebadiah wrote:
I think the point is that you're pressuring/blackmailing an employee in order to obtain access to internal servers.


This is it. The employee is grasping at his collar reading a blackmail e-mail. Later on in the day, at an appointed time described in the e-mail, he silences a triggered alarm designed to enable the automated ICE defenses. The runner sneaks by.

And the next day, the Runner performs the Same Old Thing...


Because acceding to blackmail just leaves you vulnerable to more blackmail! Makes perfect sense.
6 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
The Lord of Space
msg tools
Zebadiah wrote:
I think the point is that you're pressuring/blackmailing an employee in order to obtain access to internal servers.


But then that doesn't explain the bad publicity requirement to play it in the first place, from a thematic standpoint.

The card as it stands is more aptly described as a publicly/government sanctioned probe into the corporations server.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
The Lord of Space
msg tools
To expound on it a little further, blackmail implies having the dirty laundry that gives you the leverage to get what you want.

To meet that requirement they've added a bad pub requirement to play it, as if to say that the Corp needs to have some dirty laundry you can take advantage of. That doesn't make much sense though, because bad publicity is publicity, ie. it's public knowledge now.

That's exactly why a card called Blackmail should be giving the Corp a choice on whether they want to play ball with the Runner or risk having some secret dirty laundry dumped all over the highway for everyone to see.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Derrick Billings
United States
Chicago
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The Lord of Space wrote:
But then that doesn't explain the bad publicity requirement to play it in the first place, from a thematic standpoint.


Sure it does. The Bad Publicity is what gives you leverage over the sysop. In particular, it would expose their personal connection to whatever scandal is in the public eye.

Think about the Activist Supporters. You think they need a reason to get up in arms about any old thing? The corp doesn't even have to have done anything today.

"Hey Bob, it's Kate. I need access to some files. No, nothing that'll blow back on you. Do we really have to have this conversation again? Look, I know what went down at Midway Station last month, it would be a shame if your name came up with these moral crusader types."
7 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rafael Maia
United States
New York
New York
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
The way I interpret it the initial bad publicity represents the "tip of the iceberg", and the runner might have obtained some additional, nastier dirt to use as leverage...
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Aaron Morgan
United States
Sacramento
California
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
stillnotking wrote:
Because acceding to blackmail just leaves you vulnerable to more blackmail! Makes perfect sense.


If the Runner's still holding it over the victim's head, it sure would.

Or the Runner could have dirt that would harm more than one employee. Why leverage them all at once?
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Redston
Israel
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Grimwalker wrote:
Think about the Activist Supporters. You think they need a reason to get up in arms about any old thing? The corp doesn't even have to have done anything today.

"Hey Bob, it's Kate. I need access to some files. No, nothing that'll blow back on you. Do we really have to have this conversation again? Look, I know what went down at Midway Station last month, it would be a shame if your name came up with these moral crusader types."

Now explain Leverage.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
FirstName LastName
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Runner: You're not going to kill me and here's why. If I flatline, my computer will automatically upload these sex tapes I found in HQ to reddit. Now that's what I call leverage!
Corp: Heh. *kills you anyway* *gains 2 bad publicity*
4 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
First Last
United States
Illinois
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
DrTall wrote:
Runner: You're not going to kill me and here's why. If I flatline, my computer will automatically upload these sex tapes I found in HQ to reddit. Now that's what I call leverage!
Corp: Heh. *kills you anyway* *gains 2 bad publicity*


See, that makes sense. The leverage only works if the corp has something to loose. If they can kill you, it does not matter what you know.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jack Kelly
msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
DubiousYak wrote:
DrTall wrote:
Runner: You're not going to kill me and here's why. If I flatline, my computer will automatically upload these sex tapes I found in HQ to reddit. Now that's what I call leverage!
Corp: Heh. *kills you anyway* *gains 2 bad publicity*


See, that makes sense. The leverage only works if the corp has something to loose. If they can kill you, it does not matter what you know.


Actually, if the corp has something they can loose on you (like a Dedicated Response Team), Leverage doesn't work.

I think the word you were looking for was "lose".
3 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
The Lord of Space
msg tools
Grimwalker wrote:

Sure it does. The Bad Publicity is what gives you leverage over the sysop. In particular, it would expose their personal connection to whatever scandal is in the public eye.

Think about the Activist Supporters. You think they need a reason to get up in arms about any old thing? The corp doesn't even have to have done anything today.


I disagree. If you are blackmailing an employee of a company, it doesn't make sense that it would be an absolute requirement that the company itself be undergoing some bad publicity. You only care about whatever the employee did, embezzling, cheating on their spouse, etc.

Activist Supporters makes sense. Having a large group of people publicly protesting your company, whether for reasons real or imagined, literally is bad publicity.

There is a name for the current card that is much more fitting than Blackmail. The card I suggested is proper blackmail, yet has a very different result.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Redston
Israel
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
You must be fun at parties OP.
8 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Vincent Perry
United States
La Jolla
California
flag msg tools
Woot!
badge
I have overtext!
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
The Lord of Space wrote:
Grimwalker wrote:

Sure it does. The Bad Publicity is what gives you leverage over the sysop. In particular, it would expose their personal connection to whatever scandal is in the public eye.

Think about the Activist Supporters. You think they need a reason to get up in arms about any old thing? The corp doesn't even have to have done anything today.


I disagree. If you are blackmailing an employee of a company, it doesn't make sense that it would be an absolute requirement that the company itself be undergoing some bad publicity. You only care about whatever the employee did, embezzling, cheating on their spouse, etc.

Activist Supporters makes sense. Having a large group of people publicly protesting your company, whether for reasons real or imagined, literally is bad publicity.

There is a name for the current card that is much more fitting than Blackmail. The card I suggested is proper blackmail, yet has a very different result.


You are really trying to not make the flavor work here.

Corporation does some dastardly deed (the bad pub)
You find out how an individual employee at the company was directly connected, and use that info to blackmail the individual.

Really simple. We get it...you didn't see that before. Now you do. It works.
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Patrick K
United States
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The Lord of Space wrote:
Here is what I believe the card should have been:

Blackmail, the card,
Event: Run • Cost: 1 • Influence: 0

Make a run. When the run ends, give the Corp 1 bad publicity if he or she rezzed any ice during the run.


I agree that this should of been the card. Thematically Bad Publicity is something terrible known about the Corp. The public supports the runner because of this, which is why the runner gets a cred. But Blackmailing someone for information that is already public makes no sense.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
b b
msg tools
kroen wrote:
You must be fun at parties OP.


BAM
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Vincent Perry
United States
La Jolla
California
flag msg tools
Woot!
badge
I have overtext!
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
pCAB wrote:
The Lord of Space wrote:
Here is what I believe the card should have been:

Blackmail, the card,
Event: Run • Cost: 1 • Influence: 0

Make a run. When the run ends, give the Corp 1 bad publicity if he or she rezzed any ice during the run.


I agree that this should of been the card. Thematically Bad Publicity is something terrible known about the Corp. The public supports the runner because of this, which is why the runner gets a cred. But Blackmailing someone for information that is already public makes no sense.


The information that a particular person at the company was involved is not necessarily public knowledge. You aren't blackmailing the company. You are blackmailing an individual (the person on the card).
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
b b
msg tools
The Lord of Space wrote:
Here is what I believe the card should have been:

Blackmail, the card,
Event: Run • Cost: 1 • Influence: 0

Make a run. When the run ends, give the Corp 1 bad publicity if he or she rezzed any ice during the run.


That's way too cheap for a recurring credit per run.

I don't think that Blackmail is that much of a problem, but if I did, I'd say that simply making it a Double would be enough to make it tougher to use... unless someone had some Funding from a certain Starlight Crusade.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul Imboden
United States
Evanston
Illinois
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
kroen wrote:
Grimwalker wrote:
Think about the Activist Supporters. You think they need a reason to get up in arms about any old thing? The corp doesn't even have to have done anything today.

"Hey Bob, it's Kate. I need access to some files. No, nothing that'll blow back on you. Do we really have to have this conversation again? Look, I know what went down at Midway Station last month, it would be a shame if your name came up with these moral crusader types."

Now explain Leverage.


Sometimes bad guys make the best good guys.

cool
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nate Parkes
United States
Chicago
Illinois
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
You guys have got it all wrong.

"Blackmail" is the name of the guy in the picture.

Edward R. Blackmail.

He's in charge of the cyber defenses, but whenever his company gets bad press, he has to loosen his tie out of nervousness. And while he's loosening his tie, you sneak past the unrezzed defenses.

Oh, Eddie Blackmail, we gotcha again.

Also, when you play Leverage, you're uploading all five seasons of TNT's "Leverage" to the corp servers. All the corp's security personnel get so obsessed with it that they don't bother going out on security and enforcement assignments.

Of course, the corp can choose to purge all five seasons from their servers, but the two bad publicity represents the morale backlash from their upset employees.

Seriously, guys, the theme of this game is pretty intuitive.

14 
 Thumb up
0.01
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Derrick Billings
United States
Chicago
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
kroen wrote:
Grimwalker wrote:
Think about the Activist Supporters. You think they need a reason to get up in arms about any old thing? The corp doesn't even have to have done anything today.

"Hey Bob, it's Kate. I need access to some files. No, nothing that'll blow back on you. Do we really have to have this conversation again? Look, I know what went down at Midway Station last month, it would be a shame if your name came up with these moral crusader types."

Now explain Leverage.


"Hello, boys, I was expecting you an hour ago. Oh, put the guns down for a minute, I'm not going anywhere. Now, one of two things are going to happen here.

"Either you stand down, go home, and tell your boss I was already gone, or you try and break into the safe room, where I'm speaking to you. Did I mention that in addition to the names of your Cleaner squad I stole last night, I also found some some undisclosed details about the cerebral subroutines you're bundling with your prosthetic interface software? Do you want to find out how many places I can send that file to in the time it takes you to burn the door? I've got plascrete reinforcement on that whole wall, it might take you a while.

"Your decision, boys."
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
First Last
United States
Illinois
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
endgame wrote:
DubiousYak wrote:
DrTall wrote:
Runner: You're not going to kill me and here's why. If I flatline, my computer will automatically upload these sex tapes I found in HQ to reddit. Now that's what I call leverage!
Corp: Heh. *kills you anyway* *gains 2 bad publicity*


See, that makes sense. The leverage only works if the corp has something to loose. If they can kill you, it does not matter what you know.


Actually, if the corp has something they can loose on you (like a Dedicated Response Team), Leverage doesn't work.

I think the word you were looking for was "lose".


Good job on catching the typo, and pointing it out.

We all know that pointing out someone's typos in public demonstrates you are smarter, better looking and better dresser than the guy that made the typo.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.