Subject: My debate -- Descent or Myth rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
The Rooster
United States
Michigan
flag msg tools
mbmb
So I am right at the crossroads of taking the plunge into either Descent or Myth and I am looking for any opinions on which one to go with from the group here. Being this is a Descent forum I expect the consensus to be for Descent but I am interested in all opinions.

Thank you in advance.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Darren Nakamura
United States
Columbus
Mississippi
flag msg tools
http://www.destructoid.com/author.phtml?a=1364
badge
Darren@destructoid.com
mbmbmbmbmb
The_Rooster13 wrote:
Being this is a Descent forum I expect the consensus to be for Descent...

You might be surprised...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mathue Faulkner
United States
Austin
TX
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
What are you looking for in the game?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bryce K. Nielsen
United States
Elk Ridge
Utah
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Since Myth is a co-op game, I'd wait until the Descent Game Night Kits are out for a good apples-to-apples comparison (the kit is introducing co-op rules into Descent). On a positive note, my FLGS informed me that the kits shipped out this week, so we should be hearing about them soon

-shnar
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
The Rooster
United States
Michigan
flag msg tools
mbmb
I have been planning on buying Descent for the last 3 months. Everything I read about it seems like a good fit for my group. We are looking for a good dungeon crawl type game and the Overlord role seems like it would be fun to me. A co-op variant would be nice, which I understand is coming for Descent.

Basically after reading some of the negative reviews of Descent and the occasional unbalance, then reading about Myth and the out of the box co-op play, I am trying to figure out which one to go with. To make matters worse, I just was told to check outLevel 7 [Omega Protocol] and now am interested in that one as well.

At +$70 a pop I can only afford to go with one....

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robin REEVE
Switzerland
St-Légier
Vaud
flag msg tools
badge
Looking for a game session in Switzerland? Send me a pm!
mbmbmbmbmb
I am interested in Myth too - as I still am looking for the ideal dungeon crawler (exploration, coop, etc.).
However, Tom Vasel's review seems to indicate that Myth is rather a miniature combat game set on boards.

I like Descent, but I regret that a coop option was not integrated in it from the start.
I am in a situation where I cannot find even one gaming partner that is ready and able to play on a sufficiently regular basis to allow play a campaign. So I am orienting myself towards games with at least coop variants (which allow solo play).

Gears of War really have a nice system, but the theme is not fantasy.

Mice and Mystics have a better story telling than Descent. I like the game a lot, but I would prefer a "beefier" theme and more variety in monsters.

I of course will purchase the coop expansion for Descent - and will buy the English original one, even though I have the French version of the expansions up to now (I have no problem reading English - I buy French versions because some of my game partners don't know English).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
joel siragher
United States
silver spring
Maryland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Robin wrote:
I am interested in Myth too - as I still am looking for the ideal dungeon crawler (exploration, coop, etc.). However, Tom Vasel's review seems to indicate that Myth is rather a miniature combat game set on boards.

I like Descent, but I regret that a coop option was not integrated in it from the start. I am in a situation where I cannot find even one gaming partner that is ready and able to play on a sufficiently regular basis to allow play a campaign. So I am orienting myself towards games with at least coop variants (which allow solo play).

Gears of War really have a nice system, but the theme is not fantasy.

Mice and Mystics have a better story telling than Descent. I like the game a lot, but I would prefer a "beefier" theme and more variety in monsters.

I have to agree with most of your points there.

Tom's review put me off a bit with myth also, but then I watched another vid of the game being played and watched 1 hero kill 3 minions with one blow, and then they just respawned back in. It looked like gauntlet being played. Id like to get a better handle on the quest system, and the advancement system. Im on the fence about Myth, not ahving played it yet, but at the same time I'm still beating myself up for not getting into the kickstarter.

It would be nice to be able to bridge both versions of descent into one game. I hope they do that with the coop version. I have alos been print/playing the variant coop solos. Ive tried both but they need to be fleshed out a bit more.

Gears of WAR is the biggest bug in my craw. I traded for it, and looked it over. I just couldnt get past the dark/zombie-ish feel that so many games are trying for. If its zombie, or post holcaust worlds I just refuse to play or buy them.

M&M looked very fun, but I got the feeling that it was more of an adventure game. It had something to do with the skill system and the gem like counters.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Cyber Puncur
Poland
flag msg tools
There is also the D&D Adventure System series of games (3 big boxes). Check the Wrath of Ashardalon, for me it's nearly perfect dungeon crawler with exploration, co-op, treasures, simple but effective monster AI but... there's a but, it's quite 'greyish' overall, not as colorful as Descent (I don't mind, but some might).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Raymond Morehouse
United States
Redlands
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Cyberpuncur wrote:
but, it's quite 'greyish' overall, not as colorful as Descent (I don't mind, but some might).

I agree, and I mind!

Now to take things totally off topic...

Has anyone tried playing the D&D games on Descent tiles?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Cyber Puncur
Poland
flag msg tools
I just bought some 1 ed Descent tiles and plan to play on them using the D&D rules (after some modification - exploring, placing monsters).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
William Korner
United States
Tomah
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I like Descent for its long campaign settings , we play about twice a month and my group likes it better than the one and done dungeon crawls.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John E
United States
Cary
North Carolina
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I can't really give you any advice about Myth because I live in North Carolina which is officially one of the last 3 states in the US to receive it's shipment

But from what I've seen so far, Myth gives you a different flavor of game despite the outward similarities. Myth seems to have:
- free-form quests, driven from cards drawn or just whatever the players want
- no overlord, obviously. Fully co-op
- hero actions driven by card play
- swarms of respawning monsters that must be hacked through. combat appears to be 95% or more of the game
- no overarching campaign. You can play a bunch of quests back to back and call it your campaign, but like item 1 that's the free-form nature of the game.

Whereas Descent 2.0 has:
- stricly defined quests, each with specific setups, monsters and rules
- 1 player is Overlord, other players are the heroes
- heroes can choose (usually) exactly 2 actions a turn from a defined set of actions.
- killing monsters is something the Overlord tries to slow you down with to prevent heroes achieving the quest goal. But in general if the heroes focus 100% on killing creatures the OL will win the scenario.
- full campaign with branching paths and inter-related rules (ie: if you achieved some goal in a previous quest remove this lieutenant or monster group)

To me each game has it's own vibe. I'm kind of burned out on co-op games right now (too much Sentinels of the Multiverse, Gears of War: The Board Game, and D&D adventure system games) so I'm probably going to sit on Myth for awhile.

For your choice I would think about the type of group you will be playing with -- what kind of experience will they be more interested in. That should help clarify your decision.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Freelance Police
United States
Palo Alto
California
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm reading the MYTH rulebooks, and the game has a LOT of front-loaded complexity, somewhat on par with Up Front. I think the payoff will be good -- much of the game focuses on synergy between cards, the boards, and other players, something missing in pretty much all "whose turn is it, where are the dice" dungeoncrawlers.

If you want something more casual, where only one player needs to know the rules *during* the game, play Descent. If your group doesn't have players who are just semi-committed to the game, and you're willing to do the work of learning the rules and playing a few practice games beforehand, MYTH is the better bet.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robin REEVE
Switzerland
St-Légier
Vaud
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Re: My debate -- Descent or Myth
Alert : it seems that Myth is a total failure, when coming to the rules.
Totally flawed at the point that hundreds of questions are asked on forums and that designers are slowlgy going towards an online living rule.

Descent already has fuzzy rules (e.g. le movement "pool" overcomplexity).
Myth seems to be severly flawed, at an even more catastrophic level.

My first hopes are severely dampened by that fact.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
A M
msg tools
mb
I don't think you want to argue that descent is good because myth's rules are terrible. They might be - I have no idea. But Descent...

Descent has one of the worst rules sets I've ever seen. There's no templating. Different terms use the same word. Basic concepts like Line of Sight have ridiculously counterintuitive situations. As highly experienced gamers - with multiple full campaigns of Descent under our belts - it's rare that we don't go through a session that we have to come up with a house rule for something that's unclear in the rules. The FAQ doesn't cover much, and the unofficial FAQ - IE, off-the-cuff rulings made via email - has a great deal of contradictory information in it, because it's made off the cuff by random FFG employees. (Seriously, it's a treat to read, from a "how not to run a game company" standpoint.)

This is coming from someone who loves Descent - don't get me wrong - and the rules for Descent may be BETTER than Myth's (dear god!) but that doesn't mean that they're anywhere close to good.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bryce K. Nielsen
United States
Elk Ridge
Utah
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hundreds of questions on a forum do not necessarily mean a failed rulebook. Unless of course you're saying Descent has a failed rulebook?

-shnar

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robin REEVE
Switzerland
St-Légier
Vaud
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
shnar wrote:
Hundreds of questions on a forum do not necessarily mean a failed rulebook. Unless of course you're saying Descent has a failed rulebook?

-shnar
Descent does have rules issues too.
But Myth seems a catastrophe.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bryce K. Nielsen
United States
Elk Ridge
Utah
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Robin wrote:
shnar wrote:

-shnar

Not when compared to Descent, at least based on the amount of questions on the forums...

-shnar

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robin REEVE
Switzerland
St-Légier
Vaud
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
shnar wrote:
Robin wrote:
shnar wrote:

-shnar

Not when compared to Descent, at least based on the amount of questions on the forums...

-shnar
Descent has been there much for a much longer time.
Myth is not yet even there.
Now, as you are obsessed about contradicting about anything I can say, I am leaving this thread.
Keep with your fallacious judgements and unrelenting bashing of Descent, as it seems an existential need for you.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
badalchemist
United States
San Antonio
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The thing that's going to ultimately keep me from buying Myth is that the base game (if you're not a Kickstarter backer) seems very limited. You're forced from the get-go to buy expansions if you want more lairs or want to fight anything besides orcs and spiders.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Billy Babel
United States
Guymon
Oklahoma
flag msg tools
Myth's scenarios seem to come down to killing everything, a lot of Descent's scenarios are seem to have a fair amount of creativity to them. Missions like tipping the scales etc all have a lot of variation and creativity to them.

I think it's kind of like Boxing vs Football, boxing people beat on each other until one person wins, football, two people maneuver and coordinate to reach an objective. Which ever one sounds more interesting to you.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ukko Kaarto
Finland
Helsinki
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Simple:

If you want a co-op get Myth.

If you want 1 vs many get Level 7 [Omega Protocol]

If you want 1 vs many with a bit deeper campaign system get Descent 2nd ed.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robin REEVE
Switzerland
St-Légier
Vaud
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
About the Myth rules problem, here is an interesting thread : http://www.boardgamegeek.com/thread/1144375/is-mercs-doing-a...
Megacon promised that they will produce a usable rulebook soon.
If they do, I will buy the game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Silvio Troke
msg tools
Mice and Mystics has little replayability, through.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Void Null
msg tools
I was really confused as to why people were discussing something from 2 years ago, then I realized the date.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.