Sentinels of the Multiverse» Forums » General

Subject: Once you defeat a villain, do you ever come back to it? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Mr Deltaz
Canada
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
So I have been playing this game quite a bit since I got it and it just hit me: Whenever we defeat a villain we move to another one (with new characters and new environment).

Do you ever come back to the easiest villains and try different characters? do you use the same characters against the same villains even after you beat them?

I don't know why I am concerned now about the re-playability of this game , maybe because I think once you defeat a villain there is no point on fighting him again?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Markus
Finland
Helsinki
Uusimaa
flag msg tools
You don't need any more.
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The difficulty of the villains varies wildly depending on the heroes and environment used. There's also the advanced mode if you want more challenge. So yeah, I think there's definitely enough reason to replay villains.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Minnesota
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
You shouldn't be worried about the game's replayability.

Villain fights change pretty heavily between different team combinations and in different Environments.

Plus, playing against the easier villains is a great way to test out wonky teams or heroes you're not quite familiar with (especially harder to use heroes like Nightmist and Setback).

Also, if you had an easy time beating the more simple villains, give them a try on Advanced Mode.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Craig Hallstrom
United States
Jackson
Mississippi
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
We play a lot - with a large group and not everyone involved with every game. Villian selection has been a decision of mood as is hero selection. We have played multiple villains multiple times - even before we started playing advanced modes with some of them. Omnitron has both defeated and lost to us a number of times that I personally have played in. Beating a villain doesn't mean you beat her elegantly. Go back with same (or different heroes) and try to beat them without ever losing control as usually happens first time you play.
Also, with new players some villains aren't that interesting. The Matriarch is neat when you understand game flow and how her engine works. When you are new she is mechanically overwhelming and repetitive.

That said - we buy up new material as fast as it is created including the excellent fan made Cauldren expansion (look for it in the variants section of this forum).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Aditya C
United States
Indiana
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Depends on how dynamic a villain is. I really enjoy matriarch so I play her a lot even though I haven't gone through all the villains yet.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Kayati
United States
Worthington
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I've played a lot, so I tend to play randomly now. Random Villain, Environment, and Heroes.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Sander
United States
Michigan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
I could see skipping the easiest villains after defeating them once. But in general, yeah, sure why not come back? As others have pointed out, there are new combinations of heroes/environments to try.

Plus most of the villains become a challenge. E.g. I(/we) lost the first few fights against Citizen Dawn, so until I can beat her like 7 games out of 10, I'll consider her any win glorious. If nothing else, the easier villains are better for introducing newer people to the game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Douglass
United States
Minnesota
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Depends. I don't see a lot of point to going back to the original Baron Blade (even on advanced he's a pushover). On the other hand, I plan to keep playing against villains like the Dreamer, Iron Legacy, and the Ennead despite beating them in the past. The order that cards come out can lead to dramatically different games even with the same heroes, environment, and villain. In addition, you can keep trying different hero/environment combinations against the villain. Find the villains that you find interesting, and play against them. If you find a villain relatively uninteresting, try to beat them once or twice and move on.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mr Deltaz
Canada
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks a lot for the replies!
I am glad that defeating a villain doesn't mean I won't ever see him again!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Josh
United States
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I will fight Citizen Dawn or Grand Warlord Voss any number of times and love it every time. The battles against those two are the most memorable ones I've had, and I enjoy it every time.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Kratz
United States
Madison
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Agree with the folks above, I've played well over 100 games, and usually just play with random heroes, environment and villain. Every game is different.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kerrin 2
United States
Canandaigua
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
We've played quite a bit and do so by picking whichever heroes strike our fancy at the moment, then a random villain and random environment.

A different game every time.

Heck, even the order of card draws can make for very different games even if everything else is the same.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Langsdorf
msg tools
I very much agree that the order of card plays makes a big difference.

The first time I played, it was 5 players against Omnitron in Megapolis. Omni drew a bunch of drones and maybe one late game Singularity, but overall was just ground down without any real surprises.

The second time I played Omnitron, he got a mid game Terraform that pulled up Flechettes, a Singularity, and an Electropulse Explosive. I hadn't even been aware that he had cards like Flechettes or the EPE! That was a very different, and much more humbling, experience than the first game.

There are a couple of villains that I more or less consider solved, and don't play against very much (gives the fish eye to Ambuscade and Spite). But even with those heroes, it can be interesting to try them again with new heroes or with a new goal: "Can I beat Spite before he flips? Okay, now can I beat Spite before he flips with a random set of heroes instead of a bunch of gun toting bounty hunters?"

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.