Aaron Speckhart
United States
Quincy
Illinois
flag msg tools
badge
Goodbye Mr. Burton
mbmbmbmbmb
I hope this doesn't come off as disconcerting but does anyone else enjoy looking at failed Kickstarter Projects?

I can be so fascinated with some of them!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew Meadow
United States
Waukesha
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
badge
Thanks for reading me, I'm so lonely.
mbmbmbmbmb
a lot of times my response to them is "do you even play boardgames?!? it's as if you did absolutely no research what-so-ever." shake
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Aaron Speckhart
United States
Quincy
Illinois
flag msg tools
badge
Goodbye Mr. Burton
mbmbmbmbmb
Funky Disco wrote:
a lot of times my response to them is "do you even play boardgames?!? it's as if you did absolutely no research what-so-ever." shake

I said that very thing to my coworker this morning! Especially when they use accolades like "Innovative" or "Highly anticipated" and still fail.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew Meadow
United States
Waukesha
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
ok, what is this?

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1092260710/game-quest-p...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Aaron Speckhart
United States
Quincy
Illinois
flag msg tools
badge
Goodbye Mr. Burton
mbmbmbmbmb
Funky Disco wrote:

laugh This is the exact project that prompted me to ask! I thought the same thing! Who would invest when there is little to no information given as to what this "Game" is!

If I remember correctly, he uses the word "Innovative" multiple times in the video.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew Meadow
United States
Waukesha
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
also, this guy can't be serious... I actually think there might be something wrong with him though.

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1692602279/fratopoly?re...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Aaron Speckhart
United States
Quincy
Illinois
flag msg tools
badge
Goodbye Mr. Burton
mbmbmbmbmb
Funky Disco wrote:
also, this guy can't be serious... I actually think there might be something wrong with him though.

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1692602279/fratopoly?re...

I know, I love how the picture is just the Monopoly board will all the text removed. Which honestly is only one thing missing from every other "opoly" game out there!

Also I was wrong about "Game Quest". He doesn't use the word Innovative but he does say it's a "Breakthrough" and is "unlike anything before". Asking backers to "Help me bring the fun back to game night". I never knew it left! ...EVER!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gary Heidenreich
United States
Milwaukee
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
designer
MilwaukeeTEG
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
maXReno wrote:
Funky Disco wrote:

laugh This is the exact project that prompted me to ask! I thought the same thing! Who would invest when there is little to no information given as to what this "Game" is!

If I remember correctly, he uses the word "Innovative" multiple times in the video.

Did you see the strech goals? WTF?????

This guy said the same thing, over and over, for five minutes. Investor beware...this could take up to five years.

Eeesch.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Aaron Speckhart
United States
Quincy
Illinois
flag msg tools
badge
Goodbye Mr. Burton
mbmbmbmbmb
bop517 wrote:
maXReno wrote:
Funky Disco wrote:

Did you see the strech goals? WTF?????

This guy said the same thing, over and over, for five minutes. Investor beware...this could take up to five years.

Eeesch.

5 years?!! surprise I must have missed that part!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Aaron Speckhart
United States
Quincy
Illinois
flag msg tools
badge
Goodbye Mr. Burton
mbmbmbmbmb
https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/875456102/nottapizza-a-...

This is one of my favorites BTW!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Grant Stewart
Canada
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
maXReno wrote:

Looking at the boards up on his walls it might be. Of course those games are old and his innovative ideas might be decades too late to be called that.

To the original subject I also love watching the train wreaks that some kickstarters can be.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
George Grimes
United States
Simi Valley
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/57634444/fields-of-turm...

after seeing that one I came to the conclusion that KS sometimes approves kickstarters just so the staff could laugh at them.
I mean the amazing art work done in MSpaint, the wondrous quotes like "Imagine this map drawn properly and with many more locations", and the risks and challenges blurb of "I can use a printer but only if i pay money so your pledges allow me to print off the campaign booklets and create the magnets that will mark the progress in the campaign of your chosen system"

i mean seriously who wouldnt pay money to have this?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Aaron Speckhart
United States
Quincy
Illinois
flag msg tools
badge
Goodbye Mr. Burton
mbmbmbmbmb
Sebulik wrote:

after seeing that one I came to the conclusion that KS sometimes approves kickstarters just so the staff could laugh at them.
I mean the amazing art work done in MSpaint, the wondrous quotes like "Imagine this map drawn properly and with many more locations", and the risks and challenges blurb of "I can use a printer but only if i pay money so your pledges allow me to print off the campaign booklets and create the magnets that will mark the progress in the campaign of your chosen system"

Well it does look like 4 people gave a $1 at least!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Aaron Speckhart
United States
Quincy
Illinois
flag msg tools
badge
Goodbye Mr. Burton
mbmbmbmbmb
Most times after a quick look at the project, I'm not surprised to see First Created and 0 Backed on the side of the page.

I know that doesn't necessarily hinder the project but it's just funny how that this is often the case.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Franka
United States
San Antonio
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmb
Sebulik wrote:

I love the £1000 pledge: "also you get two magnets"
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Aaron Speckhart
United States
Quincy
Illinois
flag msg tools
badge
Goodbye Mr. Burton
mbmbmbmbmb
bigtex01 wrote:

I love the £1000 pledge: "also you get two magnets"

laugh

Well ICP seemed pretty captivated by them!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Farris
United States
Citrus Heights
California
flag msg tools
badge
There is a duck in every game. You may not see it, but it's there.
mbmbmbmbmb
I gotta say the "Jump to Conclusions" game is starting to seem actually good compared to kickstarter games.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nick Hayes
United States
Los Angeles
California
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
You're not alone, this is a hobby of mine too.

You can generally sort failed Kickstarter projects into two main categories:
1) They don't know what they're doing.
2) They're legitimately crazy.

The first category can sometimes make you feel bad because these are honest people who just don't know any better. The Not a Pizza game falls into this category.

The second category is what I search for. It's my bread and butter. These campaigns are like a glimpse into a twisted mirror realm that threatens to drain your sanity if you stare too long. Here are a couple of my all-time favorites:

Treasure Chess and Treasure Andromi
--This guy is some sort of extra-dimensional wizard. Read the campaign, then watch the video. The video is freaking amazing. I can't tell if it's pure insanity or art. Bonus mode: check out this guy's personal website: immortalstarmasters.com

Innovative And Educational Card Game
--The title has nothing to do with the actual game. A bit of a warning though: know that the further you scroll down through this campaign, the more your sanity will be tested. The images progressively get more and more bizarre until finally, at the end of it all, your mind has cracked and become a vessel for the dark and ancient demon gods.
(Note: If you watch the video this guy seems like a pretty normal guy, so this particular campaign is probably in the first category. I just think the art is crazy.)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian A
United States
San Francisco
California
flag msg tools
May I take your trident, sir?
mbmbmbmbmb
Someone should make a book... or a website... archiving all the terrible kickstarter projects out there. There should also be a page/chapter devoted to those projects that raise $0.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
bort
Australia
Brisbane
Qld
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Black Canyon wrote:

Video seems to be narrated by Darth Vader
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
bort
Australia
Brisbane
Qld
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
bigthos wrote:
Someone should make a book

I see a kickstarter in this...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian A
United States
San Francisco
California
flag msg tools
May I take your trident, sir?
mbmbmbmbmb
bortmonkey wrote:
bigthos wrote:
Someone should make a book

I see a kickstarter in this...

Do it! And make sure to create the worst-looking project description page ever!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Canada
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
bigthos wrote:
Someone should make a book... or a website... archiving all the terrible kickstarter projects out there. There should also be a page/chapter devoted to those projects that raise $0.

There's this: http://yourkickstartersucks.tumblr.com

Not necessarily only failed projects and sometimes not very PC, but often entertaining.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Sessoms
United States
Butler
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
I'm a Super Genius, but not in the style of Mark Madden, Local sports idiot.
mbmbmbmbmb
Casus Belli wrote:
bigthos wrote:

There's this: http://yourkickstartersucks.tumblr.com

Not necessarily only failed projects and sometimes not very PC, but often entertaining.

Am I the only one who would watch chainsaw maidens?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Everts
United States
Foothill Ranch
California
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
"Nobody gets me. I'm the wind, baby!" - Tom Servo
badge
"Push the button, Frank!"
mbmbmbmbmb
Yeah, I feel bad for many of them that are clueless. But some not only don't know what they are doing but aren't prepared either. And a few seem to be someone's idea to make lots of money doing almost nothing. Of course, those never make it.

Don't remember the name, but there was one that had a video of a camera pointed at a paper map blowing in the wind. You just heard the wind and heavy breathing for a minute or so. Then at the end the wind blew the map away. It was surreal!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2 , 3 , 4 , 5  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.