Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Lincoln Fraga
United States
Lakewood
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I really like Lords of Waterdeep and recently picked up Yedo after watching Radho's runthrough.
Now Im reading all kinds of posts and saw a Tom Vasel review on how mean it can be. Im not into "take that" games at all. I know I can play without the harsh random events "Geisha style". Are there other cards I should take out or things that I can do to get rid of the "Take that" in the game?
Thanks in advance for your help. Linc
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Beazer
United States
Orem
Utah
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Re: How to" nicen up " Yedo
There are lots of event cards that cause the Watch to move in an unexpected manner. These can be used for "Take That" play. But they can also be used to open up an area you need to get into this turn!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
A.J. Sansom
United States
Saint Charles
Missouri
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
lincolnfraga wrote:
I really like Lords of Waterdeep and recently picked up Yedo after watching Radho's runthrough.
Now Im reading all kinds of posts and saw a Tom Vasel review on how mean it can be. Im not into "take that" games at all. I know I can play without the harsh random events "Geisha style". Are there other cards I should take out or things that I can do to get rid of the "Take that" in the game?

I'm sure many people will tell you it's not worth doing, but I took out some of the event cards and action cards that were "mean" and we changed the rule to make getting "caught" by the guard less of a HORRIBLE thing.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lincoln Fraga
United States
Lakewood
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
ajax013 wrote:
lincolnfraga wrote:

I'm sure many people will tell you it's not worth doing, but I took out some of the event cards and action cards that were "mean" and we changed the rule to make getting "caught" by the guard less of a HORRIBLE thing.

What did you change the guard effect to?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brent Wilson
United States
Montgomery
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Re: How to" nicen up " Yedo
lincolnfraga wrote:
I really like Lords of Waterdeep and recently picked up Yedo after watching Radho's runthrough. Now Im reading all kinds of posts and saw and Tom Vasels review on how mean it can be. Im not into take that games at all. I know I can play without the harsh random events "Geisha style". Are there other cards I should take out or things that I can do to get rid of the "Take that" in the game.
Thanks in advance for your help. LInc

If that kind of meanness is really off-putting, you could remove a few select orange cards. One that comes to mind is "backstab". That one is specifically targeted at one player without much benefit to the player using it.

A lot of the other "unfortunate" things that players do to eachother are typically related to manipulating the watch patrol (generally primarily for the benefit of the person playing the card). I guess they could be omitted too, but they really are a lot of the fun and might leave the game a little flat while making it actually harder to complete missions. I'd recommend leaving them in and instead warning people that if someone does something fishy-- like putting their disciple in a district where it looks like he's going to be arrested-- expect there to be some shenanigans in that district and/or an adjacent district.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Berger
United States
Round Lake
Illinois
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
lincolnfraga wrote:
ajax013 wrote:

What did you change the guard effect to?

You didn't ask ME, but after the last time we played, we considered maybe changing it to: getting caught causes your agent to go back to your hand. That is, you lose that guy's action, but you don't have to rebuy him (if you had more than 2).

We are wary of it, because it makes buying additional workers more of a no-brainer, but there is an auction for them, so you could always just bid higher if you want to keep it from someone else.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jacob Bazar
United States
Visalia
CA
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmb
Whenever you play a gotcha card you have to immediately high five your victim, get him or her a beer, and hug it out.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Harold Coleman
United States
Austin
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I personally think the Geisha or "non-Samurai" version of the game is "nice enough." You are somewhat protected from the unexpected Guard moves by having an action card you can turn in to prevent capture. Of course, it gives up 2 points you could have gained at the end of the game, but at least it doesn't wreck your plans or cause you to lose a worker that turn. And if you're that paranoid about getting burned by guard movement, buy more action cards that might prevent capture. I think Yedo is fine as the rules are written; you just have to expect the unexpected sometimes. And LoW just isn't deep enough for me, so I prefer Yedo.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thomas Vande Ginste
Belgium
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Hey,

There are different options to change the game the way you like it.

Events:

- just take them all out... Game will still work. No prob. But you loose some flavour.
- another posibility is that you share all the events to the players. You read all the cards you get. Than you put back one card each and than again untill you have 15 events. You shuffle them up and play with those 15. ( 11 turns ). You have a little info on the cards you have put in. And if you hit a nasrt card, one of you co players chose to put it in the game.

Actioncards:

- take out the ones you don t like and play woth the others.
- use the same system as with the events. Deal all the card to the players. Decide on how much cards every player can take out. Put the remaining cards in a stack, shuffle and play.

I hope these things help you to enjoy the game!

Greets,

Thomas
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Curt Carpenter
United States
Kirkland
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
First of all I would just suggest trying it first. I'm not much of a "take that" fan myself, but the cards are all ok to me. Manipulation of the guard is kinda important to the game. Otherwise it becomes a straight-up efficiency game. I don't like targeted "take that" (i.e. "choose a player to ..."), but in this game it's mostly about guard manipulation, which is more "incidental": "Oops, the guard caught you? Sorry!" Of course you may manipulate the guard specifically to hose someone, but you don't simply choose the player as a target. Thus they have to be setup to be vulnerable, and you have to be setup to take advantage. There are also plenty of mitigations for all the bad stuff that can happen. But it's really not a game about rainbows and unicorns. But I guess everyone is free to try to mold each game however they like.

I recommend playing Samurai mode, but without choosing your action cards (drag on getting game started, and likely to lead to more take-that). That is, the game doesn't really have to be strictly samurai or geisha. For each of the rules that vary, you can make a choice independently of the others.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Nicosia
United States
Portland
Oregon
flag msg tools
badge
SMASH!!!
mbmbmbmbmb
I second what Curt is saying. Before you change anything at least try it as is once or twice. I don't find there is that much 'take that' or meanness in the game, at all, and, what little there is, even that I find enjoyable. Give it a shot... make up your own mind.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thomas Vande Ginste
Belgium
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Of course , what both gentlemen above say is true.
First give it a try. Than decide what to do.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.