Popular Tags: [View All]
Will Beckley
United States
Brooklyn
New York
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Now that I've decided that this game appeals to me, I've found myself awash in a sea of less than perfect options. How to proceed?

Near as I can tell we have:

1. Current Zoch version of Bausack; currently out of stock most places, $30 over list where I can find it. Not available used that I can find. Stained pieces instead of painted. Natural wood and red pieces. 70 pieces, fixed. Plastic diamonds, not beans.

2. Former version of Bausack: Unclear what the details are. Maybe identical.

3. Sac Noir: Painted pieces instead of stained. Black and red pieces. Random assortment of pieces and no fixed number. Beans, not diamonds.

4. Bandu: Cheapest option. All natural wood pieces. 54 fixed pieces. Reputation for easier pieces. Beans, not diamonds.

It is also unclear how many "base" pieces are in each version. There seems to be consensus that stained pieces are way better than painted, and that diamonds are better than beans. I don't know how much any of this really matters, or how many pieces is ideal for play with, say, 6.

Options I see:

New copy of Bausack 2nd edition.
Used Sac Noir.
2 copies of Bandu.

And a copy of Bandu is so cheap, it could be added to either Bausack or Sac Noir just for a bigger game.

My sense is to grab a used copy of whichever version I can find of Bausack/Sac Noir, and add a cheap, possibly incomplete, Bandu for extra pieces. But I don't know if I should steer clear of painted pieces in Sac Noir or if I'll have enough base pieces or if the game will be fun or challenging with 2 copies of Bandu.

What do those with experience with these things say? I can tell from the forums that many of you own multiple versions and are likely to know what the ins and outs are.

Thanks.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Redford
Michigan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I can tell you that Bandu comes with 6 base pieces (or at least used to, my copy is probably 20 years old).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
-=::) Dante (::=-
United States
KEW GARDENS
New York
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
You can email Thor at GameSurplus and ask him to bring in a copy for you. Runs ~50 when it's in stock.

Otherwise you can just get to copies of Bandu and stain the tougher pieces yourself.

I ordered my copy direct from Amazon.de, shipping is reasonable, and it takes 3-6 weeks for delivery usually.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.