Hide
9 Posts

Star Wars: X-Wing Miniatures Game» Forums » Strategy

Subject: Bounty Hunters rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Serge Libert
msg tools
I have a tournament in 2 weeks and I'm planning to play 3 bounty hunters.

I have played 3-7 games with them so far.
I have a few questions:

1)How do I put them on the table?
one next to another, one in the middle, the others far left and right?

2)Can I flank maneuver with the bounty hunters or is it a straight line toward the ennemies ships then a k-turn and go again straight at them?

3) I red here that there is a strategy with 2 bounty hunters and howlrunner.
Is it better than 3 bounty?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris G
Canada
Kitchener
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Where you put them depends on what you are flying against and the asteroid layout. There is no point in putting them all right in the middle if the first thing you'll have to do is start dodging asteroids. I'd probably split them across the board, maybe grouping 2 together. I'd approach on an angle from the edges and maybe 1 straight up the middle. Try and force your opponent to either split his squad up or if he focuses on one of your ships you should be able to get the other 2 in range quickly and from a flanking position.

The k-turn pass works but you'll be constantly stressed and everyone expects it. I'd actually try and approach on an angle and do some S style curves. Try and hit them on the approach, do a curve away hit them on that rear angle. Then you will possible be out of position for 1 pass but if you can also make it so they don't have an angle on you then it doesn't matter. The goal being to not always be stressed out so you can use your actions and save a red maneuver if you need to get out of trouble or capitalize on your opponent.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Reckless Fable
United States
New Jersey
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
This guy went rather far at GenCon with 2 BH and Howlrunner
http://boardgamegeek.com/thread/1024536/my-unlikely-trip-to-...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Will Sanchez
United States
Clermont
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I ran a 2 BH Shuttle list but the same should apply. It starts in asteroid setup. preferably you don't have initiative. Wherever the opponent places an asteroid, place another one about range 1.5 from it in a line parallel to the board edge. Closer to a start area if possible. This usually creates a couple "straight lanes" that the big bases shouldn't have any problem if they fly straight through, and plenty of room to turn if need be.

Take the start area away from the asteroids if possible. Then setup two BHs in nearby "lanes", and have the third placed perpendicular about one template width and pointing toward one of them. The one it's pointing to can do a 3 straight, and it can do a 2 turn and they fall into a nice line.

At that points it's generally just up the board and back unless you really need one to do a hard turn between some asteroids to cover the others. Worked really well for me.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rudolfo Laspari
Germany
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Quote:
Take the start area away from the asteroids if possible. Then setup two BHs in nearby "lanes", and have the third placed perpendicular about one template width and pointing toward one of them. The one it's pointing to can do a 3 straight, and it can do a 2 turn and they fall into a nice line.

Shouldn't that be a 4 straight for them not to bump into each other?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Serge Libert
msg tools
Thanks for the answers

Delta, when you say:
"I ran a 2 BH Shuttle list but the same should apply"

What kind of list are you talking about?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Allen T
United States
Grand Rapids
Michigan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Seconded: I wanted to try a 2 BH and Shuttle squad tomorrow after reading the FFG article about the shuttle, my plan was to run
Jendon+ST-321+FCS+Weapon Engineer
BH
BH

TL and Focus for everyone on the first attack. Problem will be that my opponent can ignore Jendon, because he's never going to line up a shot once he passes the opponent.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Serge Libert
msg tools
Ok, like that.
That's interresting.

I was going with a suicide lambda and 2 BH.
If I ever try one.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ed Raz
United States
Pittsburgh
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Maahjin wrote:
I have a tournament in 2 weeks and I'm planning to play 3 bounty hunters.

I have played 3-7 games with them so far.
I have a few questions:

1)How do I put them on the table?
one next to another, one in the middle, the others far left and right?

2)Can I flank maneuver with the bounty hunters or is it a straight line toward the ennemies ships then a k-turn and go again straight at them?

3) I red here that there is a strategy with 2 bounty hunters and howlrunner.
Is it better than 3 bounty?

1. Might change depending on what your facing. I'm a fan of concentrated fire in tournaments so I'd be lining at least 2 of them up together.

2. You don't always have to k-turn with the firespray. Its got a rear arc.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.