Popular Tags: [View All]
MM
United States
Indianapolis
Indiana
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmb

Seems like Recon is on a nice little pace here just 5 days into the event. I got this from Kicktraq (https://www.kicktraq.com/projects/1700755582/mercs-recon/).

I found this interesting, if nothing else.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve Hajducko
United States
Newbury Park
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Yeah, I was looking at kicktraq earlier.

I think things will pick back up once they post the videos - one of the biggest concerns people have is gameplay and uniqueness of factions/characters and they've mentioned they should have a ton of more videos coming this/next week.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Frank Franco
Australia
flag msg tools
I havn't backed because I'm finding this kickstarter very confusing (I don't kickstart much - are they all like this?) as to what I want and don't want.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Johannes Haglund
Sweden
Göteborg
Västra Götaland
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Mr Skeletor wrote:
I don't kickstart much - are they all like this?

Yeah, more or less. Actually, I think MERCS do things a bit less confusingly than other companies.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sumit K
United States
San Francisco
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Mistermannindy wrote:

Seems like Recon is on a nice little pace here just 5 days into the event. I got this from Kicktraq (https://www.kicktraq.com/projects/1700755582/mercs-recon/).

I found this interesting, if nothing else.

It said 2 million in the first 2 days of the campaign I am currently only pledging $10, waiting to see these videos they have been talking about. Unless it blows me away, I am going to put the money towards Myth (and buy all expansions for retail...sigh)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Frank Franco
Australia
flag msg tools
I'm still planning on getting it, I just have no idea on what the heck it is I'm getting.
I don't even understand why there are 2 different base sets? Gameplay wise what is the difference between them?!?!

It seems all kickstarters are like this. Stick up a banner saying "LOOK AT THIS!" Hey, how about an actual description on things (that goes beyond a tagline) so I know if that dude is worth the extra $10 beyond his picture.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bwian, just
United States
Longmont
Colorado
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Most minis kickstarters are like this. Board games tend to be a little more restrained.

As far as I can tell, the difference between the two sets is the MegaCons (megacorps) that are represented. Since we don't have a good handle on how different the MegaCons are yet, it's hard to say how necessary getting both sets would be, unless you're just buying for tabletop game crossover potential. But they've promised more detail on that.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brady Sadler
United States
Noblesville
Indiana
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Mr Skeletor wrote:
I'm still planning on getting it, I just have no idea on what the heck it is I'm getting.
I don't even understand why there are 2 different base sets? Gameplay wise what is the difference between them?!?!

It seems all kickstarters are like this. Stick up a banner saying "LOOK AT THIS!" Hey, how about an actual description on things (that goes beyond a tagline) so I know if that dude is worth the extra $10 beyond his picture.

From a production standpoint, having 2 core sets is the most efficient way to get you more content. Each of these sets contain 2 different MERCS teams and different tiles.

Getting both sets isn't necessary, but it just adds more options and variety to the game. Flying Frog Productions did a similar approach with Shadows of Brimstone. Because of the cost involved in a massive board game, it's all around better to split up the sets into two boxes that will give the end buyer a choice in which one appeals to them more.

But the hope is always that both appeal to you
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Callahan
United States
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
the two base sets also have different Security Forces that play differently in the game,... and have different mission types and special rules.

So it is not just getting the different teams,.... though, from a retail perspective it give the casual buyer the opportunity to pick the one they like.

Counter Threat seems to have the feel of,.... take the high value hostage, or get the package,.... jack the system direction,...

Where Assassination Protocol could be a bit more bloody. Hopefully we will learn more,..... this is still way way way early days for the KS
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Callahan
United States
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
the easiest breakdown,.. is you have to be @ 120 or above if you want all the stretch goals.

$120 pledge is for the board game components

$200 pledge gives you the new rules and cards that will let you play the tabletop skirmish game as well (also the bonus stand alone dice game and novel both set in the MERCS universe)

as for add ons,.... you don';t have to decide for another month yet. We will learn a lot more over the coming weeks.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Donny Behne
United States
Fate
Texas
flag msg tools
designer
www.punchboardmedia.com/geaux-gaming/
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Bwian wrote:

As far as I can tell, the difference between the two sets is the MegaCons (megacorps) that are represented. Since we don't have a good handle on how different the MegaCons are yet, it's hard to say how necessary getting both sets would be,

Mr Skeletor wrote:

It would be a good idea to investigate MERCS. This was the first product released by MegaCon Games (when they were Mercs Minis). Its a tactical, skirmish size wargame. You face off over a 2' x 3' battlefield with five unique minis from your megacon against your opponent who has his own minis. The game is very tactical in that it can be difficult to hit your opponent if you just stand and shoot. Most target numbers (the number you need to roll or exceed to hit) are 7 or more and MERCS rolls D10s. However, if you put yourself in an advantageous position, you're more likely to blood your opponent. An elevated position adds +1 to your roll. A shot into the flank adds +1 to the roll and a shot into the rear (heh) adds +2 to the roll and +1 to the strength of the attack. Smart positioning wins far more often. Its not 40K where you can park your snipers across the battlefield and pick dudes off.

Each megacon (faction) has unique characteristics though the archetypes (leader, medic, monkeywrench) tend to be very similar. This is less noticeable in the wargame because not all factions have all archetypes (yet). The CCC are known for their nanite armor, making it harder to fail armor checks and they auto repair (armor failure is a HUGE deal in the wargame). KemVar have special camo armor that counts them as always being in half cover (-1 to your roll) and, if already in half cover, become full cover (-3 to your roll). I forget Sefadu's corporate ability but they are stylized as very fast but lightly armored.

What I don't know is how all of this will translate into Recon but I'm thinking its going to go well. Just a matter of waiting for those videos and additional content. They finish shipping Myth tomorrow so we should see a content explosion soon.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Roberto Ruiz
United States
Calexico
CA - California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
yamato2 wrote:
the easiest breakdown,.. is you have to be @ 120 or above if you want all the stretch goals.

$200 pledge gives you the new rules and cards that will let you play the tabletop skirmish game as well (also the bonus stand alone dice game and novel both set in the MERCS universe)

as for add ons,.... you don';t have to decide for another month yet. We will learn a lot more over the coming weeks.

I'm @ the $120 pledge but most likely will change my pledge to the $200 but the only thing that is holding me is the dice game. Yeah I know that when you compare it if you add the stuff apart it is almost free but I really would like to change it to mission pack or something else. If they made a pledge with the rulebook and the decks I will get better. Not that I'm being ungrateful but that's how I feel. Am I being to selfish?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joel Carr
United States
Ruckersville
Virginia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmb
I think once it breaks the 300k mark the MYTH level backers with have the agent and be less likely to drop out last minute( even less likely at the 400k mark)

As with most of these, the more "bang for the buck" the more people tend to pledge. However, I do see better game-play videos and faction uniqueness, well any information actually, aiding the kickstarter
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Cristian van Loenen
Netherlands
Hilversum
flag msg tools
Being defeated is often a temporary condition. Giving up is what makes it permanent.
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Bliciant wrote:
yamato2 wrote:

I'm @ the $120 pledge but most likely will change my pledge to the $200 but the only thing that is holding me is the dice game. Yeah I know that when you compare it if you add the stuff apart it is almost free but I really would like to change it to mission pack or something else. If they made a pledge with the rulebook and the decks I will get better. Not that I'm being ungrateful but that's how I feel. Am I being to selfish?

That's what holding me back a well. I like Recon, love the ability to extend it to the Mercs miniature game, don't mind the novel, but have no desire for the dice game at all. Switching the dice game for something Recon or miniature game related and it would be a no-brainer to upgrade my pledge.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brady Sadler
United States
Noblesville
Indiana
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
kaosmagix wrote:
Bliciant wrote:
yamato2 wrote:

That's what holding me back a well. I like Recon, love the ability to extend it to the Mercs miniature game, don't mind the novel, but have no desire for the dice game at all. Switching the dice game for something Recon or miniature game related and it would be a no-brainer to upgrade my pledge.

I can understand the hesitation, which is a shame, because the Conflict is quite fun and just further expands the MERCS world.

On the up side, even if you didn't like the dice game, it'd be good selling/trading fodder, right?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
MM
United States
Indianapolis
Indiana
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmb
Bliciant wrote:
I'm @ the $120 pledge but most likely will change my pledge to the $200 but the only thing that is holding me is the dice game.

Maybe pledge $200 and pickup some of the add-ons instead?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Smith
United Kingdom
Solihull
West Midlands
flag msg tools
http://www.youtube.com/user/SmoothCJS
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Mistermannindy wrote:
Bliciant wrote:
I'm @ the $120 pledge but most likely will change my pledge to the $200 but the only thing that is holding me is the dice game.

Maybe pledge $200 and pickup some of the add-ons instead?

I presume if he wants the $200 pledge it's for MERCS Tabletop play, there's no add-on to get the tabletop cards so you're shunted at it. Some people don't want to receive a game they're aren't interested in (I don't blame them). It's a waste of money to produce and ship it to someone only to be trashed or to be re-sold.

I realize that it's only happened this way because the tabletop cards were added after plans had already been made, but it still leaves an awkward situation.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Justin Colm
msg tools
mbmb
Guys, forget the dice game. The value alone on what you are getting to be able to play the tabletop game and Recon is fantastic. To get a similar amount of content for Mercs tabletop from their website would cost you about $300. That is in metal of course, not plastic, but just in terms of being able to play the game it's a steal. I started a thread about it because I don't think a lot of people are realizing what the value actually is.

Recon itself could almost be considered a free bonus game, let alone the dice game
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rob Davis
United States
Nebraska
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
mlinhardt wrote:
One of the reasons I skipped Myth is because I felt like it was convoluted and confusing. I couldn't figure out what to get. Trying to navigate it was like Labyrinth, just without David Bowie or bubbles.

They gave us a nice big picture to show us what was in each pledge level. And they put it right near the top of the KS so it was easy to find. http://keithloweart.com/pledge_level_tally_04.12.jpg

I would expect something similar about half-way through Recon's KS.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Smith
United Kingdom
Solihull
West Midlands
flag msg tools
http://www.youtube.com/user/SmoothCJS
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
davro33 wrote:
mlinhardt wrote:
One of the reasons I skipped Myth is because I felt like it was convoluted and confusing. I couldn't figure out what to get. Trying to navigate it was like Labyrinth, just without David Bowie or bubbles.

They gave us a nice big picture to show us what was in each pledge level. And they put it right near the top of the KS so it was easy to find. http://keithloweart.com/pledge_level_tally_04.12.jpg

I would expect something similar about half-way through Recon's KS.

I imagine the confusion is more alluding to add-ons. Sure I could see that I'm getting x, y & z in the pledge, but to make it feel 'complete' (For me) I also had sleeves for the other 2 heroes, skald, elemental boss, quest deck, treasure deck and a couple more things beside. That's fine by me, but I totally appreciate that being too much for someone looking in on the project.

High Flying Bird wrote:
Guys, forget the dice game. The value alone on what you are getting to be able to play the tabletop game and Recon is fantastic. To get a similar amount of content for Mercs tabletop from their website would cost you about $300. That is in metal of course, not plastic, but just in terms of being able to play the game it's a steal. I started a thread about it because I don't think a lot of people are realizing what the value actually is.

I've seen that argument a few times now. I couldn't care less if it was $20,000 and made of platinum, that doesn't make it worth more to be able to get it cheaper in plastic now! I absolutely think the $200 is worth my money, just don't try to claim value by comparison to an essentially different (And imo overpriced) product.

Also, it's not about whether the dice game adds value or not, it's about it being wasteful to give people something they don't want. If I bought a car and got a lifesize statue of the pope dropped on my doorstep I'd find it hilarious, but would be pissed off about having to get rid of it...

That all aside, we're going to get lots of awesome for our money, so pledge more and roll on the stretch goals! =-)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Roberto Ruiz
United States
Calexico
CA - California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Smoothsmith wrote:

I've seen that argument a few times now. I couldn't care less if it was $20,000 and made of platinum, that doesn't make it worth more to be able to get it cheaper in plastic now! I absolutely think the $200 is worth my money, just don't try to claim value by comparison to an essentially different (And imo overpriced) product.

Also, it's not about whether the dice game adds value or not, it's about it being wasteful to give people something they don't want. If I bought a car and got a lifesize statue of the pope dropped on my doorstep I'd find it hilarious, but would be pissed off about having to get rid of it...

That all aside, we're going to get lots of awesome for our money, so pledge more and roll on the stretch goals! =-)

That is exactly my point. It is not that I don't like the dice game but I would be more please to exchange it for something I want or have different option.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adam Canning
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
Stand By, Ready
badge
Wolkenritter
mbmbmbmbmb
Bliciant wrote:

That is exactly my point. It is not that I don't like the dice game but I would be more please to exchange it for something I want or have different option.

Megacon are supposedly considering letting people swap it for a mission pack in the pledge manager.

Apparently the were unhappy with the one they used for Myth and are not sure if they will be able to get their new one to have the flexibility.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joseph
United States
Washington
Dist of Columbia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm of the mind that the free cards they are giving us for the TT makes up for the Conflict game (If you don't want it) at 8usd a pop retail. Not to mention that I plan to use it for pub nights with friends to suck them into the mercs world.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ondrej Kocnar
Czech Republic
Prague
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Ruavin wrote:
dahak wrote:
Bliciant wrote:

Megacon are supposedly considering letting people swap it for a mission pack in the pledge manager.

Apparently the were unhappy with the one they used for Myth and are not sure if they will be able to get their new one to have the flexibility.

I hadn't seen that yet, but that's great. I have zero interest in the dice game.

So why Megacon simply doesnt make pledge level without Conflict but with some free credit or simply bit cheaper? Or why not to make TT cards only add-on?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
MM
United States
Indianapolis
Indiana
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmb
okocnar wrote:
So why Megacon simply doesnt make pledge level without Conflict but with some free credit or simply bit cheaper? Or why not to make TT cards only add-on?

Completely agree. I'd up my pledge to the OPFOR level in a heartbeat if that pledge level had anything of interest to me. I recognize that they are trying to manufacture brand awareness through cross-overs at this level, but just looking at my wallet, there's little chance of additional funding at this time (except for add-ons).

They can't change this Pledge level now. If they added another level that was MERCS Recon Only, that might generate some additional funds.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.