BoardGameGeek» Forums » Everything Else » Religion, Sex, and Politics

Subject: So after watching CNN and Foxnews side by side for 2 days. rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
United States
Colorado
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I watched CNN and FOXnews side by side from morning to late afternoon for two days now. CNN ONLY talked about the airplane that was missing alllllllllllllllllllllllllll day. FOX actually talked about Crimea and Obamacare and the Airplane and some misc other things. Does CNN know there are other things going on in the world? Or are they too negative for Obama?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J
United States
Lexington
Kentucky
flag msg tools
admin
mbmbmbmbmb
It would be against the Fox ethos to blame only one thing per day on Obama.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chad Ellis
United States
Brookline
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
You watched CNN all day? Was your flight cancelled?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave G
United States
Illinois
flag msg tools
badge
El Chupacabratwurst
mbmbmbmbmb
CNN is terrible, but it's got nothing to do with Obama. They're the TV news equivalent of Buzzfeed these days. Fuck news, let's talk about the sensationalist bullshit that everyone wants to see! Seriously, they had an anchor--a guy who is ostensibly a fucking reporter--try to get a panel of guests to discuss the possibility that the disappearance was fucking "supernatural." They're an embarrassment.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
William Boykin
United States
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
For BJ.....
mb
I think its fairly well established that CNN has been crap for over 15 years now.

My advice would be to watch "The News Hour", or "Washington Week" on PBS, and compare FOX to those shows.

Darilian
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
CHAPEL
United States
Round Rock
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
"that's a smith and wesson, and you've had your six"
mbmbmbmbmb
I don't get the point of this thread.

CNN sucks? Yes.
Fox News sucks? Yes.

You really didn't need to watch it 2 days straight to tell anyone that.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ken
United States
Crystal Lake
Illinois
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Darilian wrote:
...on PBS,...

I bet can predict the response to such a recommendation...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
William Boykin
United States
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
For BJ.....
mb
MWChapel wrote:
I don't get the point of this thread.

CNN sucks? Yes.
Fox News sucks? Yes.

You really didn't need to watch it 2 days straight to tell anyone that.

The implicit point is that the OP wanted to be able to claim that since CNN sucks, anyone who says that FOX also sucks is a stupid liberal.

Darilian
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
William Boykin
United States
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
For BJ.....
mb
perfalbion wrote:
Darilian wrote:
...on PBS,...

I bet can predict the response to such a recommendation...

It would, however, be the more fair comparison.

Public Television vs. the Murdoch combine- which does a better job of getting actual news to the viewer, in a format that is compelling, clear, and thought provoking?

But hey, I love watching the graphics that FOX uses every time there is a new faux-crisis.

Darilian
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Germany
flag msg tools
mbmb
Let's not forget MSNBC here:

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ken
United States
Crystal Lake
Illinois
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Personally, I think I'd be homicidal after watching any cable news network for 2 days, let alone two of them.

Might be best to use kid gloves with Barry for a while...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Isaac Citrom
Canada
Montreal
Quebec
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb

I'm sorry, but CNN is babe-a-licious. I don't even listen, just watch. There needs to be a CNN legs calendar, or something.

CNN made its bones in crises, specifically the first Iraq-US war. People were glued to their sets every waking minute, watching for the first time a war take place in real time. CNN has been trying to recapture that ever since. They attempt to make a 24-hour-per-day crisis out of anything they can.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tim Courtney
United States
Wilmington
Delaware
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
My take is that CNN is perceived by many as biased only because people get angry and remember when CNN's gross incompetence leans against their own views and forget when CNN's gross incompetence favors their own views.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Crypt Keeper
United States
California
flag msg tools
None shall pass!
badge
'Tis but a scratch.
mbmbmbmbmb
isaacc wrote:

I'm sorry, but CNN is babe-a-licious. I don't even listen, just watch. There needs to be a CNN legs calendar, or something.

I'm going with Fox on this battle.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Colorado
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
isaacc wrote:

CNN made its bones in crises, specifically the first Iraq-US war. People were glued to their sets every waking minute, watching for the first time a war take place in real time. CNN has been trying to recapture that ever since. They attempt to make a 24-hour-per-day crisis out of anything they can.

Riiiiiggghhhttttttttttt
Fox will win that one......easily.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ian Radford
United Kingdom
Lydney
Gloucestershire
flag msg tools
Sixes again!
badge
A mighty fish-god am I.
mbmbmbmbmb
The only thing that baffles me is that anybody should even bother to affect surprise at the supposed revelation that TV news is dominated by unreliable yellow journalism.

If you want to know the news, read a newspaper of record that separates reporting from commentary and at least pays lip-service to upholding journalistic standards.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chief Slovenly
United States
Burlington
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
So what happened after this two days?

Balloon go up?
You bought a whole lot of insurance, MedAlerts, oatmeal and StairAssist devices?
GOLD GOLD GOLD?
You realized that TV news of whatever stripe is just pissing directly into your mouth and you're calling it champagne?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Born To Lose, Live To Win
United States
South Euclid
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
Metal Undivided, Chaos For All
mbmbmbmbmb
If you guys want to objectify women out of a sexual context shouldn't you be watching Telemundo or something?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Webb Space Telescope in 2018!
United States
Utah
flag msg tools
mb
Darilian wrote:
I think its fairly well established that CNN has been crap for over 15 years now.

My advice would be to watch "The News Hour", or "Washington Week" on PBS, and compare FOX to those shows.

Darilian

I confess to my shame that I rarely can make it through The News Hour. Too boring for me, even though I think it's a great news source. I guess the problem is that most of the daily topics I'm not interested in enough to spend 20 minutes listening about them.

I've heard several places that The Daily Show has the most informed viewers. I can't make it through that because all the swearing, etc turns me off.

For just plain news, without ads or sensational stories about moms murdering their kids, etc., I like
http://news.myway.com/index/id/top%7Cap.html

News in general can be a drag. Infinite new angles on "man's inhumanity to man." Humans are myopic idiots, is the conclusion I usually reach after reading the day's news.

Of course what doesn't make the news are the billions of acts of decency, kindness and daily heroism that happen everywhere. So it's easy to get a very skewed worldview from the news.

"Bill woke up and commuted 45 minutes through ridiculous traffic to work, again today without road rage. He worked hard all day without complaint or incident at his fairly meaningless job in a fairly screwed up organization. He made it back home without road rage. He ate dinner, watched his favorite TV show to relax a little, and went to bed. He did it all today because he loves his spouse and kids. A common hero."
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Germany
flag msg tools
mbmb
Drew1365 wrote:
tesuji wrote:
I've heard several places that The Daily Show has the most informed viewers.

That has got to be the most unbelievable "fact" I've ever heard.

I read that too, somewhere.

I don't think it's due to the (lack of) informative value of the show, but rather the general makeup of its audience.

There's also the effect of "motivated reasoning", i.e. people who are presented with factual information tend to double down on opposing opinions more readily than those not presented with the same facts.

So it could be that the more informative/investigative the tone of a news show is, the more it actually convinces people to hold twisted facts.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ken
United States
Crystal Lake
Illinois
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Simon Mueller wrote:
I read that too, somewhere.

http://www.people-press.org/2007/04/15/public-knowledge-of-c...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J
United States
Lexington
Kentucky
flag msg tools
admin
mbmbmbmbmb
djgutierrez77 wrote:
Seriously, they had an anchor--a guy who is ostensibly a fucking reporter--try to get a panel of guests to discuss the possibility that the disappearance was fucking "supernatural." They're an embarrassment.

They also had a psychic on to see if she could help. Next they will just call Dionne Warick.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ken
United States
Crystal Lake
Illinois
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
My favorite thus far is the CNN anchor asking if it might have been a black hole.

Never. Watching. Cable. News. Again.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J
United States
Lexington
Kentucky
flag msg tools
admin
mbmbmbmbmb
Lol. I missed that one.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ken
United States
Crystal Lake
Illinois
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I wish I were joking.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.