Eldritch Horror» Forums » Rules

Subject: "Growing Madness" Mythos card resolution rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Peter B
United States
Florida
flag msg tools
My wife and I were playing EH one evening, and we had the “Growing Madness” ongoing Rumor Mythos card in play for several rounds.

The card reads, “As an encounter, an investigator on space 8 may attempt to find the uncharted isle [TEST FOR OBSERVATION]. If he passes, he may send Clues equal to half [THE NUMBER OF PLAYERS] to solve this Rumor.”

Since it was just the two of us we only needed one clue.

During an Encounter phase my wife tried to resolve this Rumor and failed the observation test. The Encounter phase was then over and we drew a new Mythos card that allowed her to gain a Clue.

Here’s the reason for me writing: my wife wanted to spend the newly acquired Clue to resolve the ongoing Rumor, but I argued that her chance had passed once the Encounter failed.

I would appreciate opinions about which one of us gets to sleep on the couch tonight.

Thanks!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jesper Gravesen
Denmark
Copenhagen N
Copenhagen N
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
I would say that you only can put clues that you acquire via the Rumor card on set Rumor card. My advice is to consider if it is worth it to be right in this case, where sleeping on the couch is involved
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jon Digman
United States
Hopkins
Minnesota
flag msg tools
Testing...1 2 3
mbmbmbmbmb
The encounter phase has passed. So your wife cannot solve the rumor this turn.

Unfortunately, you are on the couch, no matter who was right.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rich A
United Kingdom
London
NW London
flag msg tools
I thought with a rumour like this you can use any clue but you still have to pass the observation test. Surely you'd have to have a clue before you went to that space to find the uncharted isle? If you don't have a clue in possession and you pass the test you still don't resolve the rumour.

So yeah in this case you were right. The test must be passed before it can be resolved.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jesse Chapman
United States
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Jedi SheeP wrote:
I would say that you only can put clues that you acquire via the Rumor card on set Rumor card. My advice is to consider if it is worth it to be right in this case, where sleeping on the couch is involved

Just to clarify, you aren't acquiring clues via the Rumor. You test for observation and have to spend already acquired clues. If you fail the test, you have to wait for the next Encounter phase.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Peter B
United States
Florida
flag msg tools
Oops. Nice catch. I realize now that I chose the wrong word. Instead of:
"During an Encounter phase my wife tried to resolve this Rumor and failed the observation test." I should have said:
"During an Encounter phase my wife tried to resolve this Rumor and PASSED the observation test, BUT, realized too late that she tried to resolve this Rumor without having a Clue token in possession."

Regardless, you've all confirmed for me that I was right.

What I can't recall now is the agreement made with my wife: was I supposed to sleep on the couch if she was right, or was I supposed to sleep on the couch if I proved her wrong? Oh, wait....

Thanks, all. This has got to be one of the best forums I've participated in. Everyone is helpful and friendly; a really nice experience.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Bauer
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
pborsella wrote:

What I can't recall now is the agreement made with my wife: was I supposed to sleep on the couch if she was right, or was I supposed to sleep on the couch if I proved her wrong?

I think we need some good rules lawyers here!whistle
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.