BoardGameGeek» Forums » Gaming Related » Recommendations

Subject: Looking for a new solo game rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Taylor Kowbel
Canada
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hello community, I have recently lost a good deal of my playing group and was looking for a new solo boardgame to play. Currently, I am looking at Runebound, Mage Knight and Gears of War, and am looking for people who have played any, or a combination of these, to let me know what their thoughts are.

Games I currently play are Mage Wars and Summoner wars for head to head, and Lord of the rings LCG for solo, but I am starting to get tired of all the deckbuilding for that game, looking to take a step back from it. I also have and quite enjoy Space Hulk death angel, and have played probably 50-100 games of that, but now i need something else.

Time is not too much of an issue, but replayability is, as is challenge (hence why I was a fan of death angel).

Alternatively, if you have any other suggestions I am all ears.

Thanks so much guys

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Ladson
South Carolina
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Dawn of the Zeds
Legends of Andor is not advertised as solo, but it should present no difficulty. Same with Eldritch Horror. [Edit: Actually, EH IS billed as solo play.]
Finally check out GMT's COIN series said the wargaming spider to the fly.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Shane Larsen
United States
Salt Lake City
UT
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I see that you created multiple threads in multiple game-specific forums of the same copy-and-pasted OP.

This is unnecessary.

Just create one thread in the Recommendation Forums.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Taylor Kowbel
Canada
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I apologize, I have never heard of a recommendation forum, nor have I seen it in my browsing.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin Erskine
United States
Alexandria
Kentucky
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Well in this forum you're going to get a lot of recommendations for Mage Knight. Frankly, it's still my #1 solo game. Nothing like it really. Gears of War is also fun, but definitely lower in number of brain cells burnt than Mage Knight.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Taylor Kowbel
Canada
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Which is why i posted it on both sides, I wanted to essentially know why people think their game is better. As for your statement, Ive read in reviews about the brain burning nature, and puzzle-like aspect. Can you elaborate on that a bit though, what exactly are the problems im solving?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Brewer
Australia
DUNLOP
Canberra
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
taylorcowbell wrote:
Hello community, I have recently lost a good deal of my playing group and was looking for a new solo boardgame to play. Currently, I am looking at Runebound, Mage Knight and Gears of War, and am looking for people who have played any, or a combination of these, to let me know what their thoughts are.

Thanks so much guys

Hi,

All these games are good, but I would go with Mage Knight. It's a unique take on the fantasy board game, has a great deal of replayability, and is just plain fun.

Another game I would strongly recommend is Magic Realm. It's a confusing game to learn how to play, but once you get the rules, it is a fantastic gaming experience, despite being over 30 years old.

Make sure you get copies of both the second and third editions of the rules, and the "Magic Realm in Plain English" and "The least you need to know to play Magic Realm" files here on the Geek. Read all of them before you play your first scenario.

Also, rather than pay exorbitant prices for it on eBay, as it is long out of print, you can make your own copy using the "Karim's redesign" files, found in the files section of the Magic Realm page.

DON'T spend a lot of time and effort making your first copy of the game - learn the game first, and see if it works for you. If you decide you like it, THEN make the best copy of the game that you possibly can, as you will likely want to play it many times...

Take a look and make a copy - I'm pretty sure you'll be glad you did.

Cheers,
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bruno Libonati Rocha
Brazil
Curitiba
Paraná
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Mage knight is an amazing solo game. It counts with a smart dummy player, the scenarios are really hard to beat and replayability is huge, because the terrain tiles are different in each game (except the first recon) and this brings a different way to play each game, sometimes with no monastery or mage towers, another times with good adventure sites, etc. Rarelly you will play two identical games or always realize a winner strategy.

And when you be tired of the base game, the Mage Knight Board Game: The Lost Legion Expansion expansion adds other scenarios with still more replayability, new monsters, tiles and sites.

The difficulty in any scenario is setted by you at the begin of the game and they are really challengers.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
mike m
United States
palisades park
nj
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I've played the 3 games you mentioned quite a bit. Well, GoW only about 5 times. I think it is clearly the lesser of the 3.

MK is, to me, the best solo game by far. Just tons of challenge, it will keep you involved for hours at a time. There is so much to do in each game, so much to explore. No other solo game has come close for me. I've never tried it multi-player; the competitive aspect would be great, but the solo game already takes me 3 - 4 hours by myself.

However, I actually enjoy RB more. It is more fun! Much more thematic. As a solo game, I find it ok, but I definitely prefer 2 or 3 player. It is a simpler game, and some might prefer it solo to MK when they don't want a brain burner.

Both of these games provide a good sense of getting more powerful and obtaining cool loot and allies as the game goes along, which is very rewarding. GoW is ok, but falls short on this leveling up aspect. There are a couple guns you might obtain, but that's it. As you like SH DA, maybe you'd like the theme in GoW quite a bit.

(If only there was a good way to play Summoner Wars solo! I can't imagine it would be fun though, but I do love that game!)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matthew M
United States
New Haven
Connecticut
flag msg tools
admin
8/8 FREE, PROTECTED
badge
513ers Assemble!
mbmbmbmbmb
Moved to Recommendations

Locking duplicate threads. Please respond in the open thread: http://www.boardgamegeek.com/thread/1141933/looking-for-a-ne...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.