BoardGameGeek» Forums » Gaming Related » Recommendations

Subject: looking for a new solo game rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Taylor Kowbel
Canada
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hello community, I have recently lost a good deal of my playing group and was looking for a new solo boardgame to play. Currently, I am looking at Runebound, Mage Knight and Gears of War, and am looking for people who have played any, or a combination of these, to let me know what their thoughts are.

Games I currently play are Mage Wars and Summoner wars for head to head, and Lord of the rings LCG for solo, but I am starting to get tired of all the deckbuilding for that game, looking to take a step back from it. I also have and quite enjoy Space Hulk death angel, and have played probably 50-100 games of that, but now i need something else.

Time is not too much of an issue, but replayability is, as is challenge (hence why I was a fan of death angel).

Alternatively, if you have any other suggestions I am all ears.

Thanks so much guys
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Frank Franco
Australia
flag msg tools
All are great solo options. You can't go wrong with any of the 3 really.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Grant Holzhauer
United States
Chandler
Arizona
flag msg tools
Building the perfect game collection for our growing family
badge
Who knew Euro games could be thematic?
mbmbmbmbmb
I love Mage Knight solo (my favorite), but just picked up Gears of War for solo play (I seriously doubt my wife will be interested in playing this one). I wanted a "dudes on the map" game that I could play by myself, so I'm hoping it fills the void.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andy Dunks
United States
Providence Forge
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I've played all three, and they are very different.

Mage Knight is very heavy and analytical - way too hard unless I am mentally alert and energized, and it seems much more like a puzzle to me than a game. It is 100% resource management.

Runebound is the opposite - much more if an adventure feel to it, but very light on the tactical choices I'd want in a game. it pretty much plays itself.

Gears of War is a very challenging tactical game with many significant choices and enough luck thrown in to keep the tension high, and yet with marvelously simple rules. It hits the sweet spot for me. No fluff to speak of, but to me that's not a big deal.

There are many other good solo/ co-op games just hitting the market or currently on Kickstarter: Fire Team Zero, Galaxy Defenders, Myth, MERCS Recon, Shadows of Brimstone. I'd check these out as well.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chas Bernard
United States
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
First off: +1 to everything Atvar said, above; nothing to add that would improve his summary.

Of the 3, Gears of War is my favorite. I created (ahem) a Comprehensive turn summary/rules reference which you can find in the GoW Files section. Should help you out learning/playing the game.

Try Magic Realm, steep learning curve, but worth the effort.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Erik Racer
United States
Urbandale
Iowa
flag msg tools
Specialized Extracurricular Execution Squad
badge
We are living our lives... Abound with so much information... Come on, let go of the remote,
mbmbmbmbmb
I own all three of the games you mentioned. If I had to pick I'd go with my current favorite, Zombicide.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bill Kunes
United States
Cincinnati
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I've only played GoW of the three you mentioned. It has been my goto solo game. It has "dudes on a map", a variety of scenarios with random tile layout for each thus offering replayability. The only drawback is it can be a little fiddly. But in general, it works as a solo game.

meeple Keep playing...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sylvain Hebert
Canada
Granby
Quebec
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I own the 3 games...Mage knight is too much for me...long setup,lots of management...makes my head hurt...lol.

I love Runebound...but it takes awhile to complete a game.but very fun game.

And Gears of war is my favorite..i play 2 characters and it's unpredictable.When you think it cannot get any worst...well it does.The big plus with GoW is that my friends love it too..so we play it in our group also.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
jef stuyck
Belgium
flag msg tools
I love gears of war the best out of those but if you want a good experience you should play with 2 characters.

Some more games you can check out: myth

And some current and future kickstarters:
Fireteam zero
Mercs recon
Assault on doomrock
Super dungeon explore

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matthew M
United States
New Haven
Connecticut
flag msg tools
admin
8/8 FREE, PROTECTED
badge
513ers Assemble!
mbmbmbmbmb
Moved to Recommendations

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Vermilion
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
taylorcowbell wrote:
...and Lord of the rings LCG for solo, but I am starting to get tired of all the deckbuilding for that game...
I know you didn't mention it but if you want a good card game without the dechbuilding hassle you might want to look into Sentinels of the Multiverse. This game is deceivingly awesome.

Also I can speak for GoW. It's fantastic. A great solo game with a ton of replay ability.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael F
United States
Albany
OR
flag msg tools
My job is not the day shift or the night shift, it's the always shift!
badge
I will chop your head off!
mbmbmbmbmb
Of the three you mentioned, I'd go with Gears of War. Mage Knight obsoleted Runebound for me, but it's a beast of a game to wrap your head around. Not to mention the rule books aren't written in the best way. If you want a really heavy, in-depth game, Mage Knight offers arguably the best solo experience available. If you want something easier to get to the table that has the same tension as a Space Hulk: Death Angel, Gears of War is an excellent choice. You should try and get both eventually, but Gears of War always saw more table time than Mage Knight did after the honeymoon period was over with.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Fox
United States
Yukon
Oklahoma
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'll put it this way, Gears of War is my favorite solo game of all time. I like the way that it makes you concentrate really hard and think through a lot of possibilities to make an optimal move every round. One bad move might be impossible to recover from at times. It feels really good to win this game because you know it means you made some great decisions along the way.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Shane Larsen
United States
Salt Lake City
UT
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
My favorite solo games in order:

1. Ghost Stories
2. Gears of War: The Board Game
3. Snowdonia

Ghost Stories is just amazing solo. It's a living, breathing, challenging puzzle that changes every turn. When I win, I want to jump up down like a little school girl.

Gears of War has a great AI system, and I like the way the whole experience feel so alive. I only play with one character when I play solo. I think the rules do a good job of scaling the difficulty, but if anything, it's a little harder with one player (and I like that).

Snowdonia is a Euro. But I really like the Euro-feely choices found in collecting and using the resources in a way that slows the competition down (there's a built-in competition element found in the resources-drawing phase between each turn that's really smart).

I own Runebound, but I've yet to get a chance to play a full session.
I also own Mage Knight, but I'll probably sell it soon. It's just too taxing in so many ways: time, energy, tiny-niggly rules with a hard-to-use set of rulebooks, etc.

--

I generally dislike co-operative games. I am mostly a Euro gamer. Ameritrash games have to have some kind of Euro decisions going on, otherwise I'm usually not interested.

I hope this helps. Good luck and have fun!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Moe45673
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
I own more solitaire games than I have played.

Mage Knight - I have bought this, sold it, and bought it again. One of the first games I bought, it was way too much for me so I sold it. I bought it again this past December after playing a whole bunch of other solitaire games and I saw that, compared to some of the best, the playtime/setup/components/rules are really not all that big of a deal. ESPECIALLY with a good player aid (I use the 6 page one, printed in color, on 3 sheets doublesided).

Heck, whatever game you get, always always always look for player aids.

Why I love Mage Knight is that the hand management and feelings of getting more powerful are just awesome. It's as good as any multiplayer game, no question.

There's another game out there called Asgard's Chosen which I've only begun to research. I've seen it described as Mage Knight-lite

Gears of War: Boardgame - I don't think you would go wrong with this considering your experience level right now. If you like Space Hulk: DA then you'll probably like this. It might even kill it for you. Also, have a look at Level 7 [Omega Protocol] which covers similar ground and from what I've seen, folks like it.

I highly recommend watching Ricky Royal's playthroughs of all these games.

Finally, take a closer look at Ghost Stories. It's got a reputation for being brutally difficult, which you seem to like.

If you want something a bit different, look at Dawn of the Zeds (Second edition). It's about a small town trying to hold out against the zombie apocalypse until the military comes to rescue them. In addition to zeds, the town has to deal with supplies/ammo, infected living (that eventually turn), raiders, and losses of civilians/heroes. Another brutally difficult game that is incredibly thematic and well designed, every game tells a story.

*edit* Ignore my rec for Level 7. It's not a solitaire game. However, do look at Dungeons & Dragons: The Legend of Drizzt Board Game, which does cover similar ground
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kasper Lauest
Denmark
Helsinge
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Mage Knight is INCREDIBLE. Sure, the learning curve is steep as hell, but it is well worth the effort. Despite some negative remarks in this particular thread I think it is fairly safe to say that Mage Knight is generally the most highly regarded solo game on BGG. And it is so for a very good reason. However, Mage Knight is a bit of a brain burner. If you want a lighter gaming experience, look elsewhere.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Skaak
United States
Seattle
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Atvar wrote:
There are many other good solo/ co-op games just hitting the market or currently on Kickstarter: Fire Team Zero, Galaxy Defenders, Myth, MERCS Recon, Shadows of Brimstone. I'd check these out as well.

Galaxy Defenders in particular just hit retail stores this week. I haven't played Gears of War myself, but based on other player's comments Galaxy Defenders offers a very similar enemy AI system. The differences seem to be that GoW is a little less predictable (you don't necessarily know which enemy will activate, nor what they will do), while in GD you know what the alien will do, but you do not know who will activate in any given turn.

The main draw to GD for me (also primarily a solo player) is that it has a campaign system out of the box, so you can play multiple missions with the same slowly improving agents. Lots of fun! (I backed it on Kickstarter, and have been playing it for a couple weeks now.)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Taylor Kowbel
Canada
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Yeah I looked at Galaxy Defenders as well, my issue is that as it had kickstarter exclusives I am worried that I will always have that gnawing feeling that Im "missing" something if you know what mean.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Moe45673
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Let me tell you a story. A story of myself that just happened yesterday.

For ages I've been interested in buying the game Rallyman. It has an expansion that everyone says is a must-add but the expansion is hard to find (heck, so's the base game), so I mostly ignored it. Then I was recommended the game and said "But expansion want!". I was then told by this person they own both, have only played the Rallyman base game (so far), and think there is plenty of content to explore in there. Purchase bought.

Now, let's think about Galaxy Defenders.

Quote:
Rulebook (40 Pages)
Storybook (56 Pages, 12 Missions)
5 Quick Reference Guides
5 Agent High-Detailed Plastic Miniatures
2 Drone High-Detailed Plastic Miniatures
21 Alien High-Detailed Plastic Miniatures
6 Double Sided Map tiles (12 different maps)
5 Custom D10 Attack/Defence Blue Dice
5 Custom D10 Improved Attack Red Dice
5 Agent Profile Sheets
22 Event Cards
32 Close-Encounter Cards
22 Alien Cards
10 Improved Weapons
10 Alien Weapons
20 Tactics
23 Devices
15 Skills
40 Wounds
32 Ammo
20 Shields
4 Alien Tech Fragments
6 Human Signals
9 Alien Signals
2 Guard
5 Paralyzed/Immobilized
4 Land Mines/Flames
4 Waypoints
10 Locked/Blocked
12 Jam
1 Improved/Alien Armory
4 Teleport Points
1 Alien NPC
3 Door Teleport Hexes Overlays
2 Area Map Overlays
20 2xHexes Map Overlays
1 2xHexes Sally/Sunny
3 Galaxy Balls

It has Galaxy Balls! How can you pass that up?

Seriously, the kickstarter stuff just adds some more things. The base game comes with 23 Devices and 15 skills and if you think you're going to use all of them in one playthrough, you're off your rocker. The kickstarter exclusive adds 5 devices.... and one skill. Really? The base game isn't enough? 21 different aliens aren't enough?

Not only this, but those exclusives came at a higher kickstarter pledge.

Just buy it unless you absolutely feel that this is the kinda game you can seriously exhaust what's within because you'll devote so much time to it. Let me tell you, I adore Mage Knight and I've only played it 3 times this year.... all those times being in January.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Grant Holzhauer
United States
Chandler
Arizona
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks for the Ricky Royal walkthrough recommendation. Been watching his Gears of War walkthrough, which is helping me learn it before my copy arrives on Saturday.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Skaak
United States
Seattle
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
taylorcowbell wrote:
Yeah I looked at Galaxy Defenders as well, my issue is that as it had kickstarter exclusives I am worried that I will always have that gnawing feeling that Im "missing" something if you know what mean.

I don't understand why this sentiment is so persistent. Here's a whole thread of people who don't think the Kickstarter extras are particularly important if you would like some convincing:

Anybody else turned off by all of the KS exclusives?

I was a Kickstarter backer, and despite having played the game as often as I find time the last couple weeks have still not used a single one of the Kickstarter exclusives (nor missed them). I'm sure I'll enjoy them when I get around to trying them out, but there's a ridiculous amount of stuff to do in the base game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve McCormick
England
Carlisle
Cumbria
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Eldritch Horror is fantastic. Gears of War is a very good suggestion though.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
DoM Lauzon
Canada
Saint-Lazare
Quebec
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Here is my lineup for favorite solo games.

Obviously, order is affected by what I have, what I know and the moment Hotness, so it should not be looked at really :

- Ghost Stories (long setup, I end up playing on iOs more often)
- LOTR LCG (looks like you are done with this one!)
- Onirim (just try 10x per versions and extensions in this tiny package!)
- Urbion (better than Onirim I find ! same idea)
- Friday (just fun... and funny!)
- Rallyman
- Dungeon Roll (this is actually a solo, even in multiplayer...)
- D-Day Dice (ssoooo difficult...!)
- Marvel Legendary (so much better than Ascension)
- Race for the Galaxy (works surprisingly well once robot play is figured out)
- Labyrinth War on Terror - Amazing with the lwotai.py companion script
- Dawn of the Zeads (only heard of by reliable sources)
- Space Empires (multiple scenarios if you have that patience)

I am sure a few are escaping me here... found this thread since I was looking for some ideas myself, thanks for the pointers !
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Shane Larsen
United States
Salt Lake City
UT
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Domostie wrote:
- Ghost Stories (long setup, I end up playing on iOs more often)

My first few times the set up was a bit long. But after a couple plays, I got pretty fast at it. It takes me about 5 minutes now.

It is my favorite solo game too.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Grant Holzhauer
United States
Chandler
Arizona
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Well, I got Gears on Saturday afternoon, and I've already played it 4 times solo. I think it's safe to say its a new solo favorite. I don't know if I like it better than MK, but it's a vastly different game, and I'm glD to have it as an option.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.