1 , 2 , 3 , 4 , 5  Next »  [52] | 

BoardGameGeek» Forums » Gaming Related » PBEM » Werewolf

Subject: Raiders of the Lost Ark rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Ron
United States
flag msg tools

The year is 1936. The Great Depression is still a recent memory, but the world is recovering. One of those men who go by the name of Jones has an unusual profession - "glorified grave robber" to some, "Professor of Archaeology" to others. He has spent his life learning about history and culture, and while he is at home in a fedora and leather jacket, digging through a forgotten tomb, his income comes from Marshall College and it is both his employer and his benefactor.

Following yet another adventure in some forgotten wastelands, Jones stands in his classroom, describing his exploits to his friend Marcus Brody, the curator of the college's museum. But as excited and animated as Jones is, he is also curious about why Brody is standing there.

"People want to see you." He says, leading Jones along with a wave of his hands.

The two of them walk into an enclosed office, where two "G-Men" sit patiently. It turns out that they are in search of Abner Ravenwood, the foremost scholar on the history and legends of the Ark of the Covenant. Hitler's Germany is conducting research in that area, and it has Washington DC wondering.

After the conversation, Jones is wringing his hands in excitement and happy tension. Time to find Abner, bargain with him for an amulet, then on to Egypt!

The wonders that lay ahead of him can't be described.

------------------------------------

Not yet, anyway. This is where you come in. This game will be a non-physics game for 13 that will play out everything that happens from the moment that Indiana Jones and Marion Ravenwood make it out of the tomb.

The players:

Team Evil:
MAX EVIL:
Indiana Jones

Dr. Henry Jones, Jr.
Indiana Jones is an "Alpha Wolf" in that he does not provide a positive hit to Toht's View ability.
Jones has a starting vote value of -2. Please note that this is a vote VALUE, not a vote strength. It takes three votes on Jones to tie a single vote on any other player. Jones has the same vote strength as (most) any other player.

Marion

Marion Ravenwood, daughter of Abner
Marion grew up on the stories of history, the same as Jones. But due to relationship problems, she left America with her father instead of staying with Jones and becoming a scholar herself.
Marion has a Vote Strength of 2.
Marion is informed when she has been viewed by either Belloq or Toht

Sallah

Sallah Mohammed Faisel el-Kahir

Sallah is an Egyptian excavator. And no, he can't explain why the German Army has such a large presence in Egypt right before WWII either, so just drop it. Nine children can't stop him from being jovial and good-natured, and he has been a friend of Jones for years.
Sallah has the ability to "View for Ark". He will be given one of three results: Hot, if the player currently has the Ark. Warm, if the player does not have the Ark, but did at an earlier point during the game. Cold, if the player does not and has not ever had the Ark. Sallah will get a random Cold view on N0.

Jones, Ravenwood, and Sallah all share a chat.
They share two Night Orders:
Night Kill (Punch Out / Knock Out) or
Steal the Ark
NOTICE: They cannot do both on each night. They can only do one or the other and the moderator will use the last order input in chat.

AUX EVIL:
Marcus

Marcus Brody
So he got lost once in his own museum; it happens. He knows a lot and he is a faithful friend, and sometimes, that's enough. He will back every one of Indiana Jones's actions ... sometimes to his own detriment.
Marcus Brody is informed as to which player is Indiana Jones. The Max Evils are NOT informed to Marcus's identity.
Marcus has the ability to "View for Good Special" and he will get a positive on Belloq, Toht, or COL Dietrich.
Marcus gets a random Negative n0 view. This negative view may be any player besides Jones, Belloq, Toht, or Dietrich.

Team Good:
Good Specials:
Belloq:

Rene Belloq
A French Archaeologist, he is not hostile to the idea of skirting the "standard" means of acquiring lost relics, and more than once, he has forced Jones to hand over his hard-won goods. This is not because he doesn't know how to get any treasure; he just looks at his way as being "the smart way".
Belloq has the ability to "View for Ark" and will get a positive if the targeted player has the Ark at Dawn.
Belloq will be allowed ("encouraged") to make a priority list of players. This list may be updated throughout the game.
If the Ark Holder dies, then it will transfer to the highest player on Belloq's list (whether or not Belloq is alive). If the list is not all-inclusive and everyone on it is dead, then the Ark will be transferred to another player at random upon the Ark holder's death.

Belloq does NOT get an n0 action.

Toht

Arnold Toht
A Gestapo agent, he is a patriot to his country and willing to do what it takes to achieve his goals.
Toht is an Alignment Seer. He will get a positive if he views Marion, Sallah, or Marcus.
Toht does NOT get an n0 action.

Dietrich

Oberst Herman Dietrich (Oberst is equivalent to Colonel)
Dietrich has a serious distaste for such relics, but it is the duty of any good officer to complete the missions that he has been given. In this case, that mission is to retrieve this "Ark" and return it to Berlin.
Dietrich has a OPG ability to "Seize the Ark". This is a targeted action. Whether successful or not, Dietrich can only send his Soldiers once. If they were right, Dietrich gains the Ark. If not, then it was a wild goose chase.

The Nazis

6 Nazis - your standard vanilla Villager
(No, they're not all 6'5" mechanics.
And yes, it feels weird to call Nazis "Good". Work with me here.)
One random Nazi will start with the "Ark of the Covenant."

Items:
The Ark

The Ark of the Covenant
The Ark of Testimony
The "Lost Ark"
Quote:
For three thousand years, man has been searching for the lost ark. It's not something to be taken lightly. No one knows its secrets. It's like nothing you've ever gone after before.

The Ark is an indestructible item. If a player has possession of the Ark, they will gain the Game Order: "Transfer Ark to". A player will not be informed as to why they received the Ark or who had it last.
If a player has the Ark when Dusk is called, then maintains control through Dawn, they lose all voting strength at the next Dusk. If the same player has the Ark for three Dawns in a row, they will be mod-confirmed in-thread (in the Dawn post) that they have the Ark. Once the Ark is transferred away, the player will have Vote Strength again. (Note that the player can still vote while holding the Ark, it just won't mean anything.) If the Ark holder is killed, then the Ark will automatically transfer to the highest living player on Belloq's list. If no one on Belloq's list is alive, then the Ark will be transferred to another player at random.

Order of Night Actions:
NK
Seize Ark
Steal Ark
Transfer Ark
Toht View
Belloq View
Marcus View
Sallah View

Note that if a player was going to transfer the Ark, but instead had it seized or stolen, the player will not be informed. If they were not going to transfer it, then they will obviously notice its absence.

Voting:
After Dusk, the moderator will force a single vote tally. They will take into consideration Jones's starting vote value, Marion's vote strength, and the potential vote negation of the Ark. They will then identify the player that was lynched.

Night Kill:
If Team Evil decides to "Punch someone out", then that player will be identified in the dawn post. If there was no NK order issued (for whatever reason), then "No Kill" will be stated in the Dawn post.

Victory Conditions:
The game will end for one of two reasons:
1. Jones, Marion, and Sallah are all dead.
2. Parity is met between whoever remains of the Max Evils and all non-Max Evils (to include Marcus).
If the game ends for reason number 2, then the winner of the game will be the team that has possession of the Ark immediately when parity is met. (There will be NO delay in determining the winner.)
If parity is met by the death of the Ark holder and it has to be distributed randomly, then the winner will be determined via one of the two options (I will not let a RNG determine the outcome).
A. If the Ark holder died due to a lynch, Team Evil wins.
B. If the Ark holder died due to a night kill, Team Good wins.
Note, this will ONLY happen if the Ark has to be distributed at the time that parity is met.

---
There will be as much flavor as I can comfortably provide.
---

Standard small print:
Lynch Rules:

Each day players vote for one player to be lynched. The player receiving the most votes is killed. If there is a tie between two or more players, the tied player with the longest held last vote is killed.

Lynch time is 4:00 PM BGG Time. Votes cast with the lynch time time-stamp are counted. Votes cast after this time are invalid. Votes made during the night phase are invalid.

All votes must conform to the Cassandra Vote Tally System rules. (Will be posted once the game starts). If all living players vote night fall it will speed up the dusk. If there is a tie in the lynch votes, it will be broken by longest held last vote.

Night Orders:

All players with night actions must submit their orders by Dawn. Dawn will be at 5:00 PM BGG time. Players can do this by using the Cassandra Game Order system in the Cassandra Chat System. Because orders are valid through :00, dawn itself will not be posted until after :01. Please remember that patience is a virtue. Notice that if you want flavor, dawn will not be posted AT :01 either. There's a reason I used the word "after".

If all living players (including those with out night actions) click on the 'Lock Game Actions' button it will speed up Dawn.

Role Reveal:

All roles will be revealed on death (regardless of method)(Full Role Reveal).

Replacement / Posting Rules:

This is not a "Post For Your Life" game, but this is not an introductory, "newbie" game either. Do not sign up if you are not going to be an active participant. The moderator has final discretion on whether or not he feels you are actively playing (but will ask for opinions before making that determination).

Please don't post after the Dusk/Dawn deadline, even if the mod has not told you to stop posting.

Important Information:
Tiebreaker: longest held last vote

Lynch time: 4:05 PM BGG Time
Night Action Deadline: 5:05 PM BGG Time

Weekend Policy: This game will not run over the weekend.

Please let me know if you have any questions!

This game will not start until full.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ron
United States
flag msg tools
I would like to thank those folks that helped me sand out the rough edges, as it were. Avin, Belash, dbmurph22, Phelanpt, and Riot are the first that come to mind.

And, of course, thanks to the moderators and players who have helped me learn and improve my skills in the past.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ron
United States
flag msg tools
linguistfromhell wrote:
Saved.

What he said.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Cassandra Project
msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Player List According to Cassandra:
Avin
dbmurph22
gdapkus
greek2me
kendahlj
Kingsajz86
Laladien
Phelanpt
redshark92
riot
SaiSaysPlayGo
Snaak
twomillionbucks

13 players are signed up.

To sign up for this game go to
http://www.thecassandraproject.org/jeremy/werewolf/game/1141...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Phelan
Portugal
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I just rolled up on Cassandra in my tank.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Phelan
Portugal
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
linguistfromhell wrote:
[snip]
This game will not start until full.[/size]
I will eventually make a game that will start before it's full. whistle
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ron
United States
flag msg tools
Phelanpt wrote:
linguistfromhell wrote:
[snip]
This game will not start until full.[/size]
I will eventually make a game that will start before it's full. whistle

It's happened.
And if not, it will. ... Riot, maybe? Murph? I was talking with one of the more seasoned mods who was going to do a staggered start.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
F5
United States
Shoreline
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
What happens if the game ends due to parity (condition 2), the last person killed to cause parity was carrying the Ark (so it gets assigned to someone), and Belloq is dead (so he doesn't automatically get it)? Does that basically mean the winning team would be determined randomly by whoever the Ark gets awarded to?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ron
United States
flag msg tools
Nykkel wrote:
What happens if the game ends due to parity (condition 2), the last person killed to cause parity was carrying the Ark (so it gets assigned to someone), and Belloq is dead (so he doesn't automatically get it)? Does that basically mean the winning team would be determined randomly by whoever the Ark gets awarded to?

Hrm. Good point. I know that winning because of RNG is about as sad as it can get.
What would you suggest as an answer?
I am not keen on giving Indy the "acquire Ark if the holder dies and Belloq is dead" power, but even if I did, then the question could just be rephrased to say "what if Belloq and Indy are dead?"

Game continues through next lynch?
The team that was holding it wins? Loses?

Oh! How about:
If parity is reached by the death of the Ark holder and Belloq is no longer alive, then the following rule will break the RNG / tie:
If the Ark holder died due to a lynch, then Team Evil wins.
If the Ark holder died due to a Night Kill, then Team Good wins.

Thoughts?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pete Sellers
United States
Franklin
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
badge
Try again later!
mbmbmbmbmb
I could not ignore you.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ron
United States
flag msg tools
Snaak wrote:
How about this: you give Belloq a sticky action that enables him to order all other living players in the game from most trusted to least trusted. Belloq can change this order anytime he wants until he dies. Once he dies the last order becomes permanent and anytime the Ark is lost due to the holder dying it gets transferred to the most trusted still living person on the list.

That would also remove any RNG factor. I like it!
Great idea, Snaak!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ron
United States
flag msg tools
Laladien wrote:
I could not ignore you.

The other thread was to be ignored, chuckles.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ron
United States
flag msg tools
Snaak wrote:
I like the experiment here, Team evil gets an Alpha wolf in a more or less basic 13-er while their VC gets harder. That's interesting. Seems like a balanced pay-off.

I hope so. Especially with the game of "keep away", as Belash put it, in the middle of the WW game.

The voting mechanic twists may or may not even come up during the game, but I thought they were more thematic than a lot of the standard WW abilities, like the brutal.

Of course, if you see a hole somewhere, please be sure to say something. (Standing offer, good to anyone.)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ron
United States
flag msg tools
Snaak wrote:
The voting stuff might be pretty strong. If Indy and Marion vote on another player on D1 getting LHLV then it takes 5 out of 8 Goods to lynch Indy.

Assume D1+N1 are villager deads and The Ark remains on the good side then on D2 it takes all but one Good to lynch Indy.

Unless I'm missing something.

Assuming no one else votes, yes, this is true. But thematically, Indiana is near-impossible to take out, right? Basically, it forces Team Good to remove other evils before trying to take out Jones.

I don't think it's too lopsided, because unlike most 13ers, Team Evil is not racing for parity. They can't just NK at random. Or, at least, I don't think I would if I were evil in this game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ron
United States
flag msg tools
Snaak wrote:
Yes, you have a point.

So, funny: final 3. Indy can't be lynched by the other 2. If Indy has the ark he can't lynch someone or he loses and thus needs to wait for the nightkill. If he doesn't have the ark he needs to steal it which means there will be another final 3.

Basically, if Indy always guesses wrong on which of the two the ark has the game will loop forever.

It's unlikely though, so Indy will have a practical guaranteed win in a final 3.

I think you meant if Indy doesn't have the Ark, he can't lynch anyone? Because if he has it and he gets parity, he wins.

But yeah, if he doesn't have it, then I definitely see your point. :/

I could amend the rule? Or I could not stress it and just remember that thematically, he's the hero of the story ..?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ron
United States
flag msg tools
Snaak wrote:
Yeah, that's what I meant yeah.

Not sure if you should change it. I kinda like to see a game with a final 3 that takes 3 weeks to resolve. Especially if I'm Indy and Dake and Gdapkus are the nazis.

You are certainly welcome to invite them.

It may be worth including a rule that says that if it gets to that potential final three and Indy guesses wrong on his first steal attempt, then it's a draw ..? Well, worth considering, at least.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ron
United States
flag msg tools
Snaak wrote:
linguistfromhell wrote:
I think you meant if Indy doesn't have the Ark, he can't lynch anyone? Because if he has it and he gets parity, he wins.

Actually he can't lynch regardless. If he doesn't have the ark, he would lose and if he does have the ark his vote doesn't count.

That would only take place if Indy had the Ark for two dusks in a row.

I had been considering giving Belloq and Indy immunity to that Vote Negation rule, but I hadn't put it into writing yet. They're the only two actual archaeologists, after all. They would be accustomed to having ancient relics and still doing whatever else needed to be doing.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
West Linn
Oregon
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I wasn't huge on the Indy voting thing but the other voting powers made it all turn out nicely in general. Things will be ambiguous when non lynch leader is killed. And it integrated nicely with the ark passing impetus.

Snaaks idea about belloq was good. You could also use a default side for the random result based on some numbers. Parity would fulfill that and the ark would auto to that side.

I'm worried about suicidal Nazis.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
West Linn
Oregon
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Snaak wrote:
Yes, you have a point.

So, funny: final 3. Indy can't be lynched by the other 2. If Indy has the ark he can't lynch someone or he loses and thus needs to wait for the nightkill. If he doesn't have the ark he needs to steal it which means there will be another final 3.

Basically, if Indy always guesses wrong on which of the two the ark has the game will loop forever.

It's unlikely though, so Indy will have a practical guaranteed win in a final 3.

Indy would have to play Nazi because the nonark Nazi would try to get lynched. Or either Nazi would if Belloqs list was known and Indy not get it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul Smith
United States
Long Beach
California
flag msg tools
Nuance over novelty
mbmbmbmbmb
I signed up to punch out Nazis
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Avin Fernando
United States
Pittsburgh
PA
flag msg tools
badge
mb
dbmurph22 wrote:
I'm worried about suicidal Nazis.

I wonder how many times this phrase has been uttered.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Walker
United States
Birmingham
Alabama
flag msg tools
"The significance of a person's life is determined by the story they believe themselves to be in." - Wendell Berry "If nothing lies beyond the pale of death, then nothing of value lies before it." - SMBC
badge
Thy mercy, my God, is the theme of my song, the joy of my heart and the boast of my tongue. Thy free grace alone, from the first to the last, has won my affection and bound my soul fast.
mbmbmbmbmb
linguistfromhell wrote:
Snaak wrote:
The voting stuff might be pretty strong. If Indy and Marion vote on another player on D1 getting LHLV then it takes 5 out of 8 Goods to lynch Indy.

Assume D1+N1 are villager deads and The Ark remains on the good side then on D2 it takes all but one Good to lynch Indy.

Unless I'm missing something.

Assuming no one else votes, yes, this is true. But thematically, Indiana is near-impossible to take out, right? Basically, it forces Team Good to remove other evils before trying to take out Jones.

I don't think it's too lopsided, because unlike most 13ers, Team Evil is not racing for parity. They can't just NK at random. Or, at least, I don't think I would if I were evil in this game.

One option might be to, say, have Indy lose the vote power if Marion dies, or something similar.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Greg Wilson
United Kingdom
Bristol
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
twomillionbucks wrote:
One option might be to, say, have Indy lose the vote power if Marion dies, or something similar.

That's potentially very swingy, though, with evil losing two powers for the price of one.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ron
United States
flag msg tools
Now that I'm more awake, I realize that the infinitely-long final three would never happen.

If Indy has the Ark, either Nazi has to die, which means he only has to vote on one of them. And if both nazis vote for no lynch, then Indy just has to NK one of them. So he wouldn't even need vote power.

If either Nazi has the Ark, then they just have to kill the non-ark-holding Nazi to win. And it's not like you can WIFOM that.
Q. Do I have the Ark?
If no, then why have I not nightfallen on myself already?
If yes, just claim you've got the Ark, then pretend you're on a trip/busy/whatever and come back in six hours to see who has voted for nightfall on themselves. Join in.
- And no, Indy could not nightfall for himself to fake it. If all three players vote on Indy, that is enough for him to be lynched.

It would not end up in an infinitely-long final three.

I suppose I could feel bad that we are already talking about final three scenarios in this game, but then that assumes that it's a fairly even game up to that point, so that is a reason to be optimistic ...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
West Linn
Oregon
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
If it gets to like 5-3 or something and I'm a Nazi, then I'll be slitting my own throat for a chance at the Ark. That way I can win without getting my face melted.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2 , 3 , 4 , 5  Next »  [52] | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.