Recommend
3 
 Thumb up
 Hide
22 Posts

Through the Ages: A Story of Civilization» Forums » General

Subject: Breaking 400 rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Tristan Hall
England
Manchester
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
LIFEFORM - LATE PLEDGE NOW!!!
badge
LIFEFORM - LATE PLEDGE NOW!!!
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Game 7116922 on BGO. Just won a 4 player by over 100 points with 404. This is my highest ever score and I wasn't sure it was even possible. I'm assuming you wouldn't be able to get away with this in RL because it's easier to miss things on BGO when you have multiple games going at once?
Anyway, after over 150 games now, TtA still surprise me and I don't seem to be getting tired of it yet!
What are your high scores?
4 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
NELSON SANTIAGO
United States
independence
KY
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
I mostly play 2 players,but my max has been about 260.
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonathan Harrison
United States
Fisher
Illinois
flag msg tools
So long ...
badge
... and thanks for all the fish.
Avatar
mb
My best is 283 (I essentially only play 2-player).
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Game Junkie
Spain
Madrid
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mb
My best is 344, but such scores are only possible if players are not aggressive enough or focus on generating culture only.

5 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Bradshaw
United Kingdom
Newcastle Upon Tyne
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
I think my best score in competitive play, is around 335, although it's possible to score much higher. On BGO, occupying all 4 seats, my best score for a single player is 2593, and others have managed higher than this. It really depends on what order the cards come out. One of these days it would be interesting to sit down and work out the theoretical maximum.

1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tristan Hall
England
Manchester
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
LIFEFORM - LATE PLEDGE NOW!!!
badge
LIFEFORM - LATE PLEDGE NOW!!!
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
FWIW we were playing competitively, but I was leading in strength the whole game, and managed to swing a James Cook + 7 Colonies combo. I find it's a gamble when someone else has Cook because I tend to bid more for colonies to try to block them, but don't want to stretch too far and leave myself open to attack at the same time. Left to colonise away, Cook can be as big of a game changer as Napoleon in my experience.
Do we think it's easier to score generally higher with more players?
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tristan Hall
England
Manchester
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
LIFEFORM - LATE PLEDGE NOW!!!
badge
LIFEFORM - LATE PLEDGE NOW!!!
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Seghillian wrote:
I think my best score in competitive play, is around 335, although it's possible to score much higher. On BGO, occupying all 4 seats, my best score for a single player is 2593, and others have managed higher than this. It really depends on what order the cards come out. One of these days it would be interesting to sit down and work out the theoretical maximum.



surprise

That's staggering - even controlling 4 players I don't think I could get anywhere in the region of that score! I'd still be trying to balance mining and surviving...
3 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric Phillips
United States
Greensboro
North Carolina
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
You can definitely score higher with more players because more Impacts get played. Also it's more likely that a fat military target will present itself.
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Bradshaw
United Kingdom
Newcastle Upon Tyne
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
ninjadorg wrote:
That's staggering - even controlling 4 players I don't think I could get anywhere in the region of that score! I'd still be trying to balance mining and surviving...


It's a fun exercise. Basically you need to make the game last as long as possible, so only take the first card for each player every turn. Only one player builds up any strength, then in Age III there are wars almost every turn, because all the Impacts are seeded and the military deck cycles quickly, the weaker players waging war against your chosen high scorer, in order to sacrifice whatever culture they make.

You can tell I had too much time on my hands...
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tristan Hall
England
Manchester
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
LIFEFORM - LATE PLEDGE NOW!!!
badge
LIFEFORM - LATE PLEDGE NOW!!!
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Seghillian wrote:
ninjadorg wrote:
That's staggering - even controlling 4 players I don't think I could get anywhere in the region of that score! I'd still be trying to balance mining and surviving...


It's a fun exercise. Basically you need to make the game last as long as possible, so only take the first card for each player every turn. Only one player builds up any strength, then in Age III there are wars almost every turn, because all the Impacts are seeded and the military deck cycles quickly, the weaker players waging war against your chosen high scorer, in order to sacrifice whatever culture they make.

You can tell I had too much time on my hands...


Time wasted on TtA is never wasted time.
4 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Shawn Fox
United States
Richardson
Texas
flag msg tools
Question everything
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Fortuna wrote:
You can definitely score higher with more players because more Impacts get played. Also it's more likely that a fat military target will present itself.


You also usually get 1 or 2 extra rounds in a 4 player vs 3 player game.
5 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Johan Sporre
Sweden
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
In a game of wars and aggressions my max score has been 370 (http://www.boardgaming-online.com/index.php?cnt=202&pl=71209...). Probably my finest civ ever. 150 points scored on the final 6 impacts

In a peaceful game I almost broke 500 points in this one: http://www.boardgaming-online.com/index.php?cnt=202&pl=16879...
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert Johnson
United States
Florida
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
ninjadorg wrote:
Game 7116922 on BGO. Just won a 4 player by over 100 points with 404. This is my highest ever score and I wasn't sure it was even possible. I'm assuming you wouldn't be able to get away with this in RL because it's easier to miss things on BGO when you have multiple games going at once?
Anyway, after over 150 games now, TtA still surprise me and I don't seem to be getting tired of it yet!
What are your high scores?


I would have hated to be the other player on that game!

cry
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bret Hawkeye
Germany
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
We had sth similar in our latest boardgame at some friends house.

Winner also was ahead with military the whole game and also flung the Cook + several colonies combo and made early in Age 2 like 12 to 14 Culture per round when we struggled with 3 to 5.

The three others finished around 160 +/- 5, so pretty close, but he had 306 culture points... he was actually close behind us on his second lap around the board! :-|
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tristan Hall
England
Manchester
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
LIFEFORM - LATE PLEDGE NOW!!!
badge
LIFEFORM - LATE PLEDGE NOW!!!
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Steinman wrote:
In a game of wars and aggressions my max score has been 370 (http://www.boardgaming-online.com/index.php?cnt=202&pl=71209...). Probably my finest civ ever. 150 points scored on the final 6 impacts

In a peaceful game I almost broke 500 points in this one: http://www.boardgaming-online.com/index.php?cnt=202&pl=16879...


Wowsers!
That's the next challenge then, a peaceful mega victory. It's a completely different game I suppose as you only use military for early events and colonising. Looking at your end game was funny, with almost everyone on +30 Culture a turn...
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ivo Pescia
Switzerland
Zurich
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
i get a 404, game not found error.
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tristan Hall
England
Manchester
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
LIFEFORM - LATE PLEDGE NOW!!!
badge
LIFEFORM - LATE PLEDGE NOW!!!
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Experiens wrote:
i get a 404, game not found error.


Try again?
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Derbyshire
United Kingdom
Norton Mandeville
Essex
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
draft13 wrote:


I would have hated to be the other player on that game!

cry


soblue
3 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tristan Hall
England
Manchester
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
LIFEFORM - LATE PLEDGE NOW!!!
badge
LIFEFORM - LATE PLEDGE NOW!!!
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Norbert666 wrote:
draft13 wrote:


I would have hated to be the other player on that game!

cry


soblue


devil
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert Johnson
United States
Florida
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
ninjadorg wrote:
Norbert666 wrote:
draft13 wrote:


I would have hated to be the other player on that game!

cry


soblue


devil


2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert Johnson
United States
Florida
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
ninjadorg wrote:
Experiens wrote:
i get a 404, game not found error.


Try again?


That is a web server joke. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/HTTP_404
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tristan Hall
England
Manchester
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
LIFEFORM - LATE PLEDGE NOW!!!
badge
LIFEFORM - LATE PLEDGE NOW!!!
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
draft13 wrote:
ninjadorg wrote:
Experiens wrote:
i get a 404, game not found error.


Try again?


That is a web server joke. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/HTTP_404


blush
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.