Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Drew Duke
United States
Edmond
OK
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I really like games with cool art work. I also prefer games with higher quality components. I'd love to hear about your favorites! Or, even better, I'd really appreciate your thoughts about beautiful, well-made games. I really wish there was a measure of beauty or quality in the same way that there is for 'weight.'
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Wray
United States
Harrisonville
Missouri
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
okduke wrote:
I really like games with cool art work. I also prefer games with higher quality components. I'd love to hear about your favorites! Or, even better, I'd really appreciate your thoughts about beautiful, well-made games. I really wish there was a measure of beauty or quality in the same way that there is for 'weight.'

The two that come to mind for beauty are Fresco and Jamaica.

Jamaica is very well made, and it is (at least to me) the most beautiful board game I've seen. The gameplay is above average, but the artwork and manufacturing are excellent.

Fresco is almost as beautiful, as should be expected for a game themed after art. Even the inside of the box is stunning. The gameplay is also excellent.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel Fish
United States
Cleveland
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Yedo - Gorgeous colorful, detailed board, big gorgeous cards with stories on them

Tikal - Huge colorful board, Gorgeous tiles, excellent insert, love the wood piece colors

Eight Minute Empires - such gorgeous artwork on boards and cards, really beautiful thick boards, lovely detailed wooden castles

Kingdom Builder - beautiful thick boards, love the wood piece colors

7 Wonders - beautiful big cards, really nice thick wonder boards

Lost Cities - Big beautiful cards

Jaipur - Beautiful cartoon artwork

Escape: Curse of the Temple - big thick tiles, cool dice

Agricola All Creatures Big and Small - love all the animeeples

Carcassonne? Alhambra

Boss Monster - really cool pixel art

Dixit - obvi

Cosmic Encounter - big beautiful super oversized alien cards, really neat little plastic flying saucers, lovely colorful planets

Bears! - so many custom dice

Suburbia - so many thick cardboard pieces, art is a little minimalistic and utilitarian though

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel Fish
United States
Cleveland
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
okduke wrote:
I really wish there was a measure of beauty or quality in the same way that there is for 'weight.'

Unfortunately they both lie in the eye of the beholder.

Edit: couldn't find a picture of the Xanathar.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Executive Bear
United States
Montana
flag msg tools
Wildcard, bitches! Yee-haw!
badge
I'm gonna start dropping F-bombs. Listen to this: Fart you, fart head.
mbmbmbmbmb
Legend of Andor has some beautiful art
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
ronald fraigun
United States
Tujunga
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Master Thieves

This one.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christy
United States
Indianapolis
Indiana
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The art in Omen: A Reign of War (the 2013 Olympus Edition) is arrestingly gorgeous. It also comes with metal coins (if you can find a copy -- it's sold out now).

Not a game in and of itself, but if you like pretty, high-quality components, you may want to check out PennyGems. I have a bunch of them and they make my games so much prettier, higher-quality, and more enjoyable. (In fact, despite the metal coins in Omen, I use these because they're easier to pick up off the table.)

https://www.etsy.com/shop/ImprobableObjects?section_id=12296...

edit: Mice and Mystics has large, beautifully designed, and high-quality tiles that make up each scenario, plus minis for the mouse heroes. (Other components of the game are cardboard, but they look reasonably nice.)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric Johnson
United States
Cottage Grove
Oregon
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
xeonrf wrote:

"+1 Master Thieves and also...

Black Elephant

LudoArt Verlag makes beautiful games.

War of the Ring Collector's Edition is so beautiful, I refuse to play it... playing my regular edition instead.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Forbes
Canada
Edmonton
Alberta
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Pretty much anything designed by Antoine Bauza! The artists he uses in all his games are just phenomenal. 7 wonders, Tokaido, Takenoko, Rampage, Ghost Stories and even Hanabi. All beautiful to look at, fantastic components and solid gameplay! Can't wait for Samurai Spirit!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin Garnica
United States
West Covina
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Euphoria: Build A Better Dystopia
Archon: Glory and Machination
Francis Drake
Bruxelles 1893
Kingsburg
Vasco da Gama
Chicago Express
Takenoko
Tokaido
Village
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rowan Potter
Australia
Happy Valley
South Australia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
My favourite illustrator is Michael Menzel His games are stunning and the boards always incorporate the gameplay so well! The Pillars of the Earth is a favourite. Just played Legends of Andor two nights ago. Absolutely stunning art.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ryan Kinney
United States
Soquel
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
My most beautiful game is by far Spellbound. The board is fantastic but the true beauty is in the pieces. Game figures don't come much larger or elaborate than in that game!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jesper Hansen
Denmark
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Some of my favourite card-art (besides dixit) is Lord of the Rings LCG and Mage Knight.

Also Merchants and Marauders deserves to be mentioned, the beautiful board, the plastic ship and all the nice colors.

I also love all the stuff in Dungeon Petz, the board, components, hell even the crap looks good in this game
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Musta Ninja
Finland
flag msg tools
mb
From my collection Sekigahara: The Unification of Japan and Go are the most beautiful ones. I love the way of simplicity and elegance of those games.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Netherlands
flag msg tools
       This space              intentionally              left blank.
badge
Giants

Just the map alone makes me want to go back to Easter Island straight away:

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David B
United States
Chesapeake
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
okduke wrote:

I think everyone enjoys good art and nice components. But remember no amount of good artwork and high quality components can make up for a bad game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
The One
United Kingdom
Bristol
flag msg tools
mb
Forbidden Island blew me away when I got it, it's even more impressive when you consider how much little it costs.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris
United Kingdom
Birmingham
England
flag msg tools
badge
Shoot for the moon. Even if you miss, you'll land among the stars, where you will be forced to drift aimlessly farther into the vast, empty abyss of space until a lack of food, water and oxygen causes you to succumb to Death's cold embrace.
mbmbmbmbmb
chriswray84 wrote:
Fresco is almost as beautiful, as should be expected for a game themed after art. Even the inside of the box is stunning. The gameplay is also excellent.
Whilst it's technically very good, it's probably mostly the artwork that puts me off of it. It's so technically perfect and stagnant, makes me feel a little like I'm playing with my nan.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Russ Williams
Poland
Wrocław
Dolny Śląsk
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmb
okduke wrote:
I really wish there was a measure of beauty or quality in the same way that there is for 'weight.'

It would have to be version-specific instead of for the game as a whole. E.g. some Chess sets are beautiful, and some Chess sets are garish ugly plastic crap.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nevin Longardner
United States
Westerville
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Test
3 games in my collection stand out.

Navegador is a gorgeous euro. I love the muted palette and the board has this ancient map look to it.

Tammany Hall (Pandasaurus version) has the highest quality components in my collection. The board is thick and the role tiles are too. Great artwork on the role tiles too.

Railways of the World just looks fabulous with of the empty city markers, trains and track tiles.

Upcoming games that will make this list:

The Lost Valley
Xia: Legends of a Drift System
Tokaido Collector's Edition

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Grankin
Ukraine
Mariupol
flag msg tools
Napoleon's Triumph

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian Boyle
Australia
Sydney
NSW
flag msg tools
badge
Proud Balmain Board Gamer
mbmbmbmbmb
I agree. I really do wish there was an elegance rating here on the geek.

Apart form the obvious high-quality traditional games for which you can purchase exquisite sets (e.g.Go, Chess, Carrom and Crokinole) the games that I own that bring out the "Wow" factor in those not normally into orcs, wizard, dwarfs or little soldiers (about 99.999% of the population) include:

Firenze
Takenoko
Indigo
Giants
Railways of the World
Kings of Air and Steam
Paris Connection
Ta Yü (the original version)
Medina
Tumblin-Dice

Some of these recommendations may seem a little strange at first sight, but I have gone for overall componentry (board+bits) as sometimes a great board design is let down by the other components.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Heffernan
Canada
Perth
ON
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Beautiful games:

Camelot Legends
Mythic Battles
Raiding Parties: Brethren Of The Coast

and my absolute favourite game: Revolver

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Boss Beau Blasterfire
United States
Berrien Springs
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
http://www.boardgamegeek.com/geeklist/170530/games-that-look...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Warren Zdan
United States
Council Bluffs
Iowa
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Serpent's Tongue is one that recently blew me away with component & art quality. It's also pretty niche, though.

+1 Dixit & Lord of the Rings LCG
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2 , 3  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.