Subject: First Post, Long Time Lurker, Unhappy with DVG rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Matt Burchell
United Kingdom
Ivybridge
Devon
flag msg tools

OK, so maybe I'm wrong. I've been so keen to try a DVG game.

I'm returning to board gaming after many years away and for various reasons I'm primarily interested in solo gaming. Over the last six months I've bought eleven games. All solo playable, two solo only.

Out of all those games, three have had problems. Allow me to explain...

1. Bought 'Eldritch Horror'. Big HPL fan for many years, love the way the mythos has taken off. Game had a missing die. Mailed FFG, received die (and then some) from the U.S. within a week (I'm in the U.K. BTW)

2. Bought 'Firefly the Game'. Was supposed to include some promo cards but they were missing. Mailed GaleForce9 (in New Zealand) had a very pleasant chat with a chap who apologised and sent the cards (and then some). Received in less than a week from half way across the world.

3. Bought 'Phantom Leader'. Very excited about this, exactly the sort of game I was interested in, reviews very good and I was looking forward to getting many others in the 'leader' series.... And then it all went wrong. Box was missing ALL event cards and a big chunk of target cards, one pack had been duplicated. Obviously, someone had put two packs of the same cards in, and left the required pack out.
OK, so mistakes happen, I can understand that.

So. mailed DVG, explained the problem, took photos and sent them to show that; 1. I'd bought the game and 2. There was a problem.
Waited... No reply....
So sent again (after all email can be screwy).. waited.. no reply..
Contacted seller, had a chat. Still waiting.
In the meantime... Sent mail again (this time removed pics just incase a spam filter was kicking in) and yet still no reply.
And so after multiple resends DVG have not replied or even acknowledged any of my mail.

Thanks Dan, you've summed up lousy customer service in one singular transaction. Your games may be good, but I'm not going to buy them if they don't work AND you just ignore any plea for help. Would you?

I'm hoping now that the seller's supplier will have more luck getting me a working game.
DVG games are not cheap. I would, at very least, expect to get a working game for the price paid, and when things go wrong, I would expect half decent customer service.
Perhaps some time should be spent supporting your customers. As far as it goes you've blown it for me. I will never buy another DVG game (unless I find it in a charity shop for ten bob).

Never had these problems 30 years ago. Come back Avalon Hill (and even Games Workshop, when they had more than one game), all is forgiven!

While I'm here, just like to say thanks to BGG and to all those members who create such fantastic player aids. Thank you all!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Key
United States
Knoxville
Tennessee
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Try Dan@dvg.com. That should get you through... But...
As a long time retail manager I feel strongly that your seller should have replaced your game and then taken it up with DVG. Separate issue really, but nonetheless....
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ryan King
United States
Stockbridge
Georgia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I have read (and experienced) many problems with DVG. If you get a good copy his stuff is excellent, but if you have to ask for replacement stuff it seems to be 50/50 (again, my own experience plus reading all the threads here).

I bought one very moldy copy of a DVG game through CSI and they were happy to replace it, so maybe go that route, through the retailer. Otherwise, I have seen persistence pay off...just email once a week and I think you can have this legitimate problem corrected.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
NWS Wargaming Store
United States
Orlando
Florida
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
To Doc,

I have been playing DVG titles since the 1980s, never once had that many items missing (if any at all for that matter). I have been selling DVG titles now for several years, and never had a report of that many items missing from hundreds of sold DVG titles.

As to Dan himself, I have had many emails and phone chats with him and never once had him ignore a customer I have forwarded to him or any concern that I have raised - never. If anything he is one of the most professional individuals in this industry.

Now this is not trying to defend Dan nor is it any attempt to discredit your claim, I am just going on years of experience dealing with the man and how he handles his company.

It seems you need to seriously take the game back to the retailer you got it from (if you bought it from a retailer) as that seems very very odd. If I, as a retailer, had such a report I would definitely deal with the matter and resolve it and/or forward you to DVG directly - which I have done in the past for customers when such a resolution was required.

I will also forward this thread to Dan personally.

Good luck.

Christopher Dean
NWS
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
NWS Wargaming Store
United States
Orlando
Florida
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I just called Dan, he should be replying very soon.

Just as a possible scenario (if you bought the game from a retailer).. the game might have been a return to the retailer and resealed without checking the contents. Seen that happen before as a gamer in the past. Not trying to be out of line, but that can happen if someone at the retailer location does not double check their returns.

Thanks
Christopher Dean
NWS
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
NWS Wargaming Store
United States
Orlando
Florida
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Quote:
I bought one very moldy copy of a DVG game

That situation effected a few random boxed titles last year and was likely caused at the import dock storage location not being properly temperature controlled. Every report I forwarded to Dan was resolved and/or I, as a retailer, received spare replacement boxes as needed. Point being, Dan was very quick to respond to that situation based on my experience, and customers that reported the issue to us. Dan also reported that issue to the print companies he works with.

Thanks
Christopher Dean
NWS
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dan Verssen
United States
Glendora
California
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmbmb
Hello Doc,

I'm sorry about the missing components. I just checked our various email accounts and I don't see any emails from you. Please email me at: dan (at) dvg (dot) com with a list of the components you are missing along with your mailing address and we'll get them mailed out to you.

Sorry again about the hassles.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
NWS Wargaming Store
United States
Orlando
Florida
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
To anyone else reading this thread,

If you have any issue with a DVG title and cannot reach Dan for whatever reason feel free to contact me anytime and I will be more then happy to forward any inquiries to him directly or call him for you.

Thanks
Christopher Dean
NWS
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Burchell
United Kingdom
Ivybridge
Devon
flag msg tools
Hi, thanks for the replies (everyone!)
I have been in contact with the seller, but they were adamant that they wanted to get their supplier to get replacement parts from DVG. To be honest I got so fed up in the end I just left them to it.
I was surprised that they didn't just replace it, I used a very popular online game retailer with a good reputation. I know that I could have demanded to return it, but it's very difficult for me to get to a post office (long story..) so in the end I just decided to wait, but just had to vent my spleen here. Sorry 'bout that
Apologies for any dodgy spelling having to reply on my crummy phone.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Burchell
United Kingdom
Ivybridge
Devon
flag msg tools
Hi, the mail was sent to customerserviceATdvgDOTcom on 10th March. Will resend ASAP.
Sorry if I come across as a di*k, it's just frustration.

UPDATE; Just to say have now forwarded the original mail to the new address... Fingers crossed.
BTW I included a photo of the problem, could it be a spam filter thats blocking the mail because there's an attachment??
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Sundborg
United States
Carthage
North Carolina
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I never had a problem with DVG games. Twice they replaced a single item ( a misprinted PL card and a missing counter from the FC:N

ALWAYS had prompt service by contacting Dan V

Mike
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Martin Gallo
United States
O'Fallon
Missouri
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I understand the OPs frustration with DVG, but for a slightly different reason.

I recently played several games of PLD and I kept LOSING, so I quit. I realized that the problem I was having was that Dan ships his games with Player Hating Dice™.

whistle
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dan Verssen
United States
Glendora
California
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmbmb
Doc,

I received your email and replied. I've found the deck you are missing, and we will mail it in the morning.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dan Verssen
United States
Glendora
California
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmbmb
Thank you Christopher for letting me know about this thread!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Burchell
United Kingdom
Ivybridge
Devon
flag msg tools
Hi,
Thanks Dan (and thanks to Christopher as well).

It seems that the mails I sent were lost in the ether and it was not, in any way, DVG's fault. Now that Dan knows about the problem he has been quick to rectify it and I am very much looking forward to playing the game.

So, again, I apologise for my raging. It was more frustration with the seller and of course thinking that I was being ignored by DVG. There was also the fact that actually finding DVG games in the UK is something of an impossible quest so I was really excited to actually have found a copy! The mistake with the game itself didn't worry me so much, as I can appreciate that mistakes happen especially with the numbers of components in this (and other) games these days.

Anyway, all's well that ends well. I hope that in future if anyone ever runs into problems they'll be able to find this thread and the advice herein.

Cheers to all!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Burchell
United Kingdom
Ivybridge
Devon
flag msg tools
Hi Dan,

Cards received (on Wednesday) sorry for the late reply (family problems).

Again, apologies for throwing my toys out of my pram. Hopefully someone will find this thread and learn something blush
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Leo Zappa
United States
Aliquippa
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm glad this story had a happy ending. I have a number of Dan's games, favorite of which is Modern Naval Battles: Global Warfare. When I bought the first expansion, it had some incorrect ship cards included. I let Dan know and he sent me a complete new deck in a hurry. Dan is first rate!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jim P.
United States
Champaign
Illinois
flag msg tools
badge
"Oh, uh, there won't be any money, but when you die, on your deathbed, you will receive total consciousness." So I got that goin' for me, which is nice.
mbmbmbmbmb
I called DV Games once with a question about whether I had paid for an order yet or not. I didn't expect Dan the Man himself to answer the phone. He insisted, according to his paypal receivables, that I was paid up. He is not only a Superhero, but an honest one at that! cool
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Don
Canada
Ontario
flag msg tools
Would you like steak with that?
badge
Have another Keith's
mbmbmbmbmb
Count me as one of the people with good experiences with Dan and DVG. I was missing a card and my board was very warped. Dan replaced this within a week.
I was very impressed and look forward to my next DVG purchase.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Frank Kiss
Australia
Kingsley
Western Australia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
desertfox2004 wrote:
I'm glad this story had a happy ending. I have a number of Dan's games, favorite of which is Modern Naval Battles: Global Warfare. When I bought the first expansion, it had some incorrect ship cards included. I let Dan know and he sent me a complete new deck in a hurry. Dan is first rate!

Hi Leo, I had the exact same experience as you with the MWNBGW Expansion 1 back in May 2012 (with one set of cards, depicting naval units from China, Argentina, France, Norway, Japan and Taiwan, duplicating the cards in my original MNBGW box set ... so did not receive the Canadian, German and Italian naval units as indicated on the back of the card deck box) and had the same positive follow up from Dan in resolving it!

That said, I recall having similar trouble to Doc Banzai in finding the correct email contact ... I tried the then published customer service email address a number of times without response before contacting Dan directly.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.