7 Wonders: Wonder Pack» Forums » Strategy

Subject: Abu Simbel or Stonehenge strategy rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Jason Meltzer
United States
California
flag msg tools
Has anyone come up with decent strategies for Abu Simbel or Stonehenge? These both seem like terrible boards. I had a decent idea for AS: choose high-cost leaders that are useful during play but not for endgame points and bury them late. Unfortunately I scored my absolute lowest score ever!

Ideas welcome.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eagle-Eyed Superhawk
United States
Ann Arbor
Michigan
flag msg tools
Oh, America, what have you done.
mbmbmb
Which leaders would you give as examples?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Henry Chang
Hong Kong
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
For stonehedge Side B, make sure you recognize what your neighbours are aiming for (green? red?) and try not to fight against them. e.g. if your neighbours are doing Science, don't go deep in Science (1 set is fine); if your neighbour are going miliary, don't go for arms race either (A Age II 2shield is fine). You should hope that both your neighbout go DEEP into green or red so you can get 10+ points for the second wonder stage!
My wife gets 13pts for using a green card for that stage!

As for those stone-resource bonus... i guess it's okay value if you can get both a stone card and a stone/misc card in age I, but otherwise it's crap. I tried to get the 2 stones card in Age II just to jack up the points, but it's not worth it, unless by adding the card you can monopolize the stone resource.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Meltzer
United States
California
flag msg tools
Ramses, Caesar, Bilkis, Archimedes. These help during the game but you could bury them near the end with minimal adverse effect and a good number of points.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Meltzer
United States
California
flag msg tools
hinghenry wrote:
For stonehedge Side B, make sure you recognize what your neighbours are aiming for (green? red?) and try not to fight against them. e.g. if your neighbours are doing Science, don't go deep in Science (1 set is fine); if your neighbour are going miliary, don't go for arms race either (A Age II 2shield is fine). You should hope that both your neighbout go DEEP into green or red so you can get 10+ points for the second wonder stage!

As for those stone-resource bonus... i guess it's okay value if you can get both a stone card and a stone/misc card in age I, but otherwise it's crap. I tried to get the 2 stones card in Age II just to jack up the points, but it's not worth it, unless by adding the card you can monopolize the stone resource.

Right, so the Stonehenge board gets some points for each of those cards the neighbor has, but meanwhile the neighbor racks up a high multiple of those points with those cards (unless they're resource cards). Seems like a losing battle.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kārlis Jēriņš
Latvia
Riga
flag msg tools
I'm a sheep.
badge
A lovely, fluffy sheep.
mbmbmbmbmb
bromion wrote:
hinghenry wrote:

Right, so the Stonehenge board gets some points for each of those cards the neighbor has, but meanwhile the neighbor racks up a high multiple of those points with those cards (unless they're resource cards). Seems like a losing battle.

Well, yes. But they're using, let's say, 6 cards each to get to those huge points. You're only using one. That's five cards for you to even out the odds (and that one card is likely to score more than any other one card in the whole game, because, if both of your neighbors are going for green, there's no way they'll let you get the green guild, whereas they can hardly stop you from using the wonder).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Fernando Robert Yu
Philippines
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
bromion wrote:
Has anyone come up with decent strategies for Abu Simbel or Stonehenge? These both seem like terrible boards. I had a decent idea for AS: choose high-cost leaders that are useful during play but not for endgame points and bury them late. Unfortunately I scored my absolute lowest score ever!

Ideas welcome.

I did this in my last game and I won the game...the leader was the one that let you build purple cards for free..built a lot of VP scoring guild cards, then buried the leader for 5 points in my last play of the game..

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Günter Immeyer
Germany
Essen
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
freddieyu wrote:
... then buried the leader for 5 points in my last play of the game..

You meant 10 points, right?! "Ramses" costs 5 gold, so you should score a decent 10 VP when burying him.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Meltzer
United States
California
flag msg tools
freddieyu wrote:
bromion wrote:

Ideas welcome.

I did this in my last game and I won the game...the leader was the one that let you build purple cards for free..built a lot of VP scoring guild cards, then buried the leader for 5 points in my last play of the game..

With how many points in the end?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Fernando Robert Yu
Philippines
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Miraculix wrote:
freddieyu wrote:
... then buried the leader for 5 points in my last play of the game..

You meant 10 points, right?! "Ramses" costs 5 gold, so you should score a decent 10 VP when burying him.

That's what I get for not reading the rules!!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Fernando Robert Yu
Philippines
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
bromion wrote:
freddieyu wrote:
bromion wrote:

Ideas welcome.

With how many points in the end?

I ended up with 67 (it turns out it should have been 72!) points.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
acv. critter
msg tools
Abu Simbel: yes, high cost leaders that are useful during play but not for endgame points. Absolutely brilliant.

Played a first age Archimedes with Abu Simbel (B). Got his worth simply playing opportunistic science cards. Then consigned him to the dustbin.
Second age Caesar, sat around and got my 6 points for second age conflict, then consigned him to the dustbin.
Third age leader should be one that will actually give you points at the end.
74 point game

Stonehenge: Seriously collect stone, and money! Yellow cards are your friend.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian Croxall
United States
Provo
Utah
flag msg tools
www.profhacker.com
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
acv_critter wrote:
Stonehenge: Seriously collect stone, and money! Yellow cards are your friend.

I'm pretty sure Yellow cards don't trigger this end-game scoring.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.