United States
Baltimore
MD
flag msg tools
Homer Simpson
badge
"Trying is the first step towards failure."
mbmbmbmbmb
Am I correct in my assumption that when a building shows three symbols of goods without an ampersand (ex. "Inn") that it means you get to choose one,and only when it has an ampersand (ex. "Woodworker's Hut") does it mean all three?

Also:
In the Alchemist shop, must some of the goods you trade in be from different types, or could you trade in all one kind?

Thanks!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nick Shaw
United Kingdom
Plymouth
Devon
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
perrygf wrote:
Am I correct in my assumption that when a building shows three symbols of goods without an ampersand (ex. "Inn") that it means you get to choose one,and only when it has an ampersand (ex. "Woodworker's Hut") does it mean all three?

For GAINING resources (e.g. Sushi Shop) that's how I've played it, yes - you exchange 1 fish for just 1 of any other resource; and for the Woodworker's Hut, you exchange 1 lumber for 1 fish + 1 stone + 1 livestock. But for the Inn specifically, I'd say you have to exchange 1 of each type (stone, lumber, fish) to get your 4 livestock. I'm sure TMG will confirm though...

perrygf wrote:
Also: In the Alchemist shop, must some of the goods you trade in be from different types, or could you trade in all one kind?

Going strictly from the wording/iconography of the card, I'd say any mixture is ok to use, even if it's all one kind (that's a mixture of "1 type"). But it could be interpreted both ways I guess. Over to TMG for an official ruling...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Almes
United States
Pittsburgh
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
perrygf wrote:

Also:
In the Alchemist shop, must some of the goods you trade in be from different types, or could you trade in all one kind?

Thanks!

It looks like we weren't very consistent with the ampersands... Sorry about that. When you see a group of goods, you don't 'choose' only one, you get everything pictured. (Unless there's text telling you specifically otherwise)

For the Inn, you Exchange one of each of those three goods for 4 livestock. For the Woodworkers hut, you exchange 1 good for 3 of the other types. (Same as Sushi Shop, Masoner's Hall and The Butcher) For the Alchemist Shop, you can exchange just one type, it would just be a worse exchange rate than the other converter buildings.

We'll be fixing up that ampersand issue in the next revision. We might just get rid of them, as they may be adding more confusion.

Let me know if you have any more questions. I'd be happy to help out.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Peter Rabinowitz
United States
Columbia
New Jersey
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
As a general design principle, I find it helps to think in symbols. Every word, every punctuation mark, and of course every actual symbol, should have a specific and consistent meaning. Things like "and", "or", "if and only if" either need to be crystal clear on every card or (and I think this is preferable) every card works the same so you only need to explain it once in the rulebook.

That's not to say you need to make everything an actual symbol. That way lies the madness of Race for the Galaxy. shake But I find it helps to think of keywords and phrases as if they were symbols, so as to not fall prey to the fluidity and ambiguity of the written word.

I think Stone Age (the iOS implementation) does this well. They have a simple way of denoting a] a specific good vs a good of any type and b] the number of goods. They basically created their own symbol for "good of any type" so they only have to explain that once in the rules and it makes every building cost clear, consistent, and concise.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Almes
United States
Pittsburgh
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
kc2dpt wrote:
As a general design principle, I find it helps to think in symbols. Every word, every punctuation mark, and of course every actual symbol, should have a specific and consistent meaning. Things like "and", "or", "if and only if" either need to be crystal clear on every card or (and I think this is preferable) every card works the same so you only need to explain it once in the rulebook.

That's not to say you need to make everything an actual symbol. That way lies the madness of Race for the Galaxy. shake But I find it helps to think of keywords and phrases as if they were symbols, so as to not fall prey to the fluidity and ambiguity of the written word.

I think Stone Age (the iOS implementation) does this well. They have a simple way of denoting a] a specific good vs a good of any type and b] the number of goods. They basically created their own symbol for "good of any type" so they only have to explain that once in the rules and it makes every building cost clear, consistent, and concise.

Good comment, Peter, and I completely agree. We'll make sure we're consistent as possible. It looks like the &'s were used in just a few cases, and I can see why we created some confusion. I think we'll be able to clear it up without resorting to the madness of RftG
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.