Warhammer 40,000: Conquest» Forums » General

Subject: Core Set Speculation rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Benny And The
Canada
flag msg tools
mbmb
According to FFG's description the minimum deck size for Conquest is 50 cards. Since there are 7 factions that would be 350 cards total in the core set for single faction starter decks. The most amount of cards FFG has ever put in a core set is 252 for Netrunner.

Does this mean it will be a huge 350 card core set?
Or does this mean all of the starter decks will be 2 factions?
Are there shared neutral cards? (this seems unlikely since it would be difficult thematically)

I'm really looking forward to this game

Edit: I forgot there will also have to be space for the planet and warlord cards

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bwian, just
United States
Longmont
Colorado
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Well, you're allowed allies. So technically you can get away with 25 cards per faction.

Another solution is to just play with smaller decks when you are only playing out of the starter. The limited card pool offsets the tighter decks to a degree.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dustin
United States
Kentucky
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Warhammer 40,000: Conquest includes:

over two-hundred player cards split across seven factions
10 planet cards
40 token cards
64 tokens for tracking damage, resources, and more
two servo-skull command dials
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike
Canada
Gatineau
Quebec
flag msg tools
The real question is...

Will we need to buy 2 or 3 core sets?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Markus
Finland
Helsinki
Uusimaa
flag msg tools
You don't need any more.
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Mike1977 wrote:
The real question is...

Or 4?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gergely Kovacs
msg tools
"The day we stop exploring is the day we commit ourselves to live in a stagnant world, devoid of curiosity, empty of dreams." - Neil deGrasse Tyson
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Mike1977 wrote:
The real question is...

Two at least, yes.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Igor Treskunov
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Mike1977 wrote:
The real question is...

Hope no. I still hate FFG for such dumb thing in Netrunner core set.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Trés Lambaste
Austria
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Mike1977 wrote:
The real question is...

This is what will make or break the game for me. I'm more than willing to buy monthly battlepacks (or whatever they will be called with this game), but having to buy more than one core to have a balanced 2 player game is just ridiculous, imo.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Vladimir Lehotai
Slovakia
Piešťany
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
JET_PILOT wrote:
Mike1977 wrote:
The real question is...

Hope no. I still hate FFG for such dumb thing in Netrunner core set.

They did it in every LCG, IIRC, so there goes your hope.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Luis Wheelers
Jamaica
Milano
Italy
flag msg tools
badge
Roll Yours Dice Khorne smile to me !
mbmbmbmbmb
My speculation:
7 Warlord with realive card =63
27 Card per 7 Facition =189
Total Card 252

So for Deck Building There are 81 cards per Warlord (with start with 8 cards).
So 50-9 41 on 81 is Your pool.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bwian, just
United States
Longmont
Colorado
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Laiko wrote:
Mike1977 wrote:
The real question is...

This is what will make or break the game for me. I'm more than willing to buy monthly battlepacks (or whatever they will be called with this game), but having to buy more than one core to have a balanced 2 player game is just ridiculous, imo.

The reason they make core sets the way they do is to have a balanced two player game in one box. So if that's your worry, better to hope that there will be gnashing of teeth in collector-land: to date, the most collector-friendly core set (CoC) has also been the least fun to play out of the box. IMHO
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Geoff Thomas
United Kingdom
Enfield
London
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Jets wrote:
According to FFG's description the minimum deck size for Conquest is 50 cards. Since there are 7 factions that would be 350 cards total in the core set for single faction starter decks. The most amount of cards FFG has ever put in a core set is 252 for Netrunner.

Does this mean it will be a huge 350 card core set?
Or does this mean all of the starter decks will be 2 factions?
Are there shared neutral cards? (this seems unlikely since it would be difficult thematically)

I'm really looking forward to this game

Edit: I forgot there will also have to be space for the planet and warlord cards

The minimum deck size in LoTR LCG is 50 cards. However the starter decks are only 30 cards. I suspect they'll do something similar with the core set here.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Trés Lambaste
Austria
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Bwian wrote:
Laiko wrote:
Mike1977 wrote:
The real question is...

The reason they make core sets the way they do is to have a balanced two player game in one box. So if that's your worry, better to hope that there will be gnashing of teeth in collector-land: to date, the most collector-friendly core set (CoC) has also been the least fun to play out of the box. IMHO

But they really don't, most people consider the wh invasion core box unbalanced, for example. My main problem with it is that they included a bunch of single neutral cards. Give me at least 2 so i can split them evenly between players! It's even worse if you try to play with 4 players, I would agree to buy 2 core sets for that, but you need 4 core set so that everyone has the same cards! Crazy!

EDIT: You would need 12 core sets in case everyone wants 3 copies of those neutral cards.....

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rayne Smith
United States
Beaverton
Oregon
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Laiko wrote:
Bwian wrote:
Laiko wrote:
Mike1977 wrote:
The real question is...

But they really don't, most people consider the wh invasion core box unbalanced, for example. My main problem with it is that they included a bunch of single neutral cards. Give me at least 2 so i can split them evenly between players! It's even worse if you try to play with 4 players, I would agree to buy 2 core sets for that, but you need 4 core set so that everyone has the same cards! Crazy!

EDIT: You would need 12 core sets in case everyone wants 3 copies of those neutral cards.....

There is a difference between trying to make competitive decks and being able to play balanced decks with 2 players. One Core is enough for two players to play the game and have fun with balanced starter decks. In fact, you don't even need to buy a second core, it's only really important when the game first launches. I have friends who have won tournaments with only 1 core and all of the datapacks/deluxe expansions. So, if you only want to buy one, then only buy one.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
MechaBri Zilla
United States
Michigan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Laiko wrote:
Bwian wrote:
Laiko wrote:
Mike1977 wrote:
The real question is...

You have to also remember what LCG's compete with. The idea is that everyone brings their own deck to the table. If you were playing Magic or another CCG it would be no suprise that everyone should bring their own deck.

Anyway, I've played a number of these LCG's now, and I'm perfectly happy with what they usually put in the box. Even when playing with friends who don't have the game, I can usually put together a deck that works and is well balanced for them.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Trés Lambaste
Austria
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Kaic wrote:
Laiko wrote:
Bwian wrote:
Laiko wrote:
Mike1977 wrote:
The real question is...

There is a difference between trying to make competitive decks and being able to play balanced decks with 2 players. One Core is enough for two players to play the game and have fun with balanced starter decks. In fact, you don't even need to buy a second core, it's only really important when the game first launches. I have friends who have won tournaments with only 1 core and all of the datapacks/deluxe expansions. So, if you only want to buy one, then only buy one.

I think that in whi's case, the starter decks aren't balanced, I think that the dwarves are out of whack. One could argue that it is fun, but that is more of a subjective view.
And I didn't say anything about competitive.
Again, what irks me about whi is that they have single neutral cards which you have to shuffle in a deck and then draw 10 each. This adds another superfluous randomness factor in an already kinda skewed game.
But one shouldn't forget that these are LCG games, with deck building being the most important aspect, and you can't really do that evenly with just one core set for 2 players. If i was partaking in tournaments, maybe I wouldn't find that as much of an issue since I would have to worry only about my decks, but I don't, and I don't think the majority of whi players do either. I have to provide cards both for me and any of my friends that wants to play it with me. So, if I want a (perhaps only by me perceived) balanced game there is no other option but to buy 2 core sets.

To get back to the topic at hand: that could be even worse with wh conquest, since the cards overlapping won't be just neutral cards (if there is such a thing in conquest) but also normal faction cards.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Raf Cordero
United States
Bolingbrook
Illinois
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Laiko wrote:

To get back to the topic at hand: that could be even worse with wh conquest, since the cards overlapping won't be just neutral cards (if there is such a thing in conquest) but also normal faction cards.

So long as the two players pick factions on the opposite side of the wheel, there will actually be 0 overlap on factions. It sucks if 1 guy wants to play Orks and the other Imperial Guard but even then, you can ally with the faction on the other side and not have any overlap again.

Neutral cards will be interesting though.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Trés Lambaste
Austria
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
captainraffi wrote:
Laiko wrote:

So long as the two players pick factions on the opposite side of the wheel, there will actually be 0 overlap on factions. It sucks if 1 guy wants to play Orks and the other Imperial Guard but even then, you can ally with the faction on the other side and not have any overlap again.

Neutral cards will be interesting though.

Yeah, I'm aware of that
Would be neat if they could balance the game in such a way that the best counter to a certain faction is one of the 2 factions on the opposite side of the wheel.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrey Velkov
Bulgaria
Doganovo
Elin Pelin
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I think there will be around 30 cards per faction. and then you build a deck using two factions as per the allies rules.
A second core set will have a great deal of redundant cards as each faction have a unique commander and his 8 cards, which I assume will be limited as well.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike
Canada
Gatineau
Quebec
flag msg tools
Me personally its the waste that bugs me when buying multiple cores.

Like LOTR LCG, there is just so much waste if you buy more then 1 core.

Netrunner LCG, is a bit the same, because you end up 2+2=4 of some cards. You pretty much have to buy a 3rd for multiples of 3.

Star Wars LCG, did the best job of cutting out the crap. I mean you only need 2 core sets to have max customization, and there is practically no junk left over.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bwian, just
United States
Longmont
Colorado
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Emerych wrote:
My speculation:
7 Warlord with realive card =63
27 Card per 7 Facition =189
Total Card 252

So for Deck Building There are 81 cards per Warlord (with start with 8 cards).
So 50-9 41 on 81 is Your pool.

I think 252 is probably a little high for total card count, though. Or it might be the total card count, but we've got 50 cards already spoken for in the planet and token cards.

There were a few neutral cards in the older 40K CCG, but not a ton. I'm not sure if it's a vital enough mechanic to add to the core set on its own merits.

But if we guess 203 factioned cards, that leaves only 29 per faction. 9 of those are the Warlord and his retinue, which leaves 20 for deck building. Even with full allies, that's only 49 cards total in any deck. That's probably fine for a core set, and still gives plenty of variations by trading out allies and warlords. Might go this route.

If we allow for 14 neutral cards, and 27 for each faction, then we can build 50 card decks with a little variation in the neutral cards. I don't know how popular that was with Warhammer: Invasion. I liked it in general, but it was a little annoying when one player got all three Contested Grounds (? whichever one lets you heal damage ?).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Neil Kimball
United States
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
My bet is this will be a Core Set you need to buy 3 of for an absolutely complete set because all the other "free" deckbuilding games have playsets of 3 (AGOT, CoC, Netrunner). My hope though is that they do a "lumpy" distribution like in Netrunner where 2 Core sets will leave you missing only 1 copy of a few cards (as opposed to something like CoC where it's just one of each card). This also makes sense you most people don't end up with tons and tons of copies of the unique warlords and squads.

I bet faction distribution could be 21 cards per faction, so that for a starter deck you choose a warlord and 2 factions (8 + 21 + 21 = 50 card deck). It would certainly make basic deckbuilding more straightforward, though it would mean no "loyal" cards outside the warlord's group.

I also wouldn't be entirely surprised if they don't have neutral cards. With seemingly no penalty to mixing the factions and no neutral cards pictured, they might be moving to things being entirely factioned.

Regardless, I'm super excited and will probably buy a complete set of Core sets when this drops.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tobias Maier
msg tools
Maybe they will cut some factions from the core and move them to the first big expansion. If I remember correctly something like this happened in "Game of Thrones", "Warhammer Invasions" and "Call of Cthullu".
Or at least some of the factions weren´t as fleshed out as the others.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Austin Norris

Austin
Texas
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Laiko wrote:
Mike1977 wrote:
The real question is...

The coresets are balanced two player games. Generally when you move from a two player game in one box to competitively playing against others you will need more cores to fill out holes. Personally I hope they just put only one of each card in the core. That way people can stop complaining about the Netrunner model despite it is by far the best 1v1 experience in one box lcgs have had so far.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alec Robertson
United States
Jacksonville
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
how many core sets you have to buy depends mostly on whats in the core set, how competitive you want to be, and what decks you plan to play. Like with netrunner core, traditionally you buy 2 and thats just enough to play mos of the factions the way you want. however if you wanted to play stuff like NBN or Virus Anarch you might be forced to buy 3 cores just so you could get the San Sans for NBN and Grimoire for Anarch. Same thing could happen to 40k but i find it unlikely youll need to buy any more than 2 to make a mostly in faction deck.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.