Popular Tags: [View All]
Tripp Ritter
United States
Seattle
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Hello there, I recently found a reasonably priced 5th edition. Is it worth getting or should I hold out for the "final," or even the newer one to come? Any thoughts appreciated.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Wendell
United States
Yellow Springs
Ohio
flag msg tools
Si non potes reperire Berolini in tabula, ludens essetis non WIF.
badge
Hey, get your stinking cursor off my face! I got nukes, you know.
mbmbmbmbmb
5th edition is a very good game (a bit smaller and quicker than WIF: Final Edition too), but it isn't supported any longer and I would venture over 95% of WIF games today are Final Edition.

It's your call, though! If you want to play others, you probably should get Final.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew
United States
Richmond
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
The difference between 5th edition and 6th/"Final" is pretty significant. I don't think there are many people around who regularly play the older versions (though of course I could be wrong), at least, not of those I've seen on the various forums and lists.

I also think you will be fairly safe with the current "Final" edition. The rules have seen tweaks and changes, but those have been freely made available, and have not required buying a new copy of the game. There have been updates and new expansion packs, but those aren't necessary to play the game by any means.

Personally, while 5th edition was fun, I prefer the current version, as I feel it addressed a lot of the inconsistencies in 5th edition, and standardized the game to use a more uniform set of counters/systems between the basic game and the game plus expansions. The switch from a 1d6 based system to a 1d10 based system was also an improvement, as well, in my opinion.

Hope this helps
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tripp Ritter
United States
Seattle
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Helps a lot! Thanks for these very clear answers.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Keith Plymale
United States
Huddleston
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I played under 3rd/4th and have 5th/6th as well as several of the 5th expansions. I guess I'm in the minority because I prefer the look of 5th with the upgrades.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joseph Moore
Canada
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
FE with all the trimmings (i.e. modules) except for Factories in Flames is the biggest charge for me as a solo gamer. the 1d10 innovation was a watershed.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.