Popular Tags: [View All]
Nathan Jensen
United States
Arizona
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
Back in January I posted this about my Oregon Trail inspired card game, Pioneers, I am making. Well this is my first game and I plan to launch it on kickstarter here in a few days. I have worked hard and done my homework but I am very anxious. The arts progress has gone much slower than I would have hoped and is a little behind, but I do not want to push back the launch date if I do not have to.

Any last second tips?

Here is a link to the kickstarter preview, but please note the following:
If you view this before launch, there will be more changes and additions to the page.
-an intro video will be added
-banners (images) will be added for each section of text
-the first image will have the Pioneers title added to it
-the how to play video is a low quality stand in until we get a better one
-a review by a gaming blogger will be added
-the rules are done but are being proofread a final time
http://tinyurl.com/k6o2qjr

Any semi-easy fixes or last minuet things I should add? Feel free to post on here or on the KS. How do the prices feel? I feel like I may have to many pledge levels but I dont know which to cut if any.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gregg Jewell
United States
Florida
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
KS link is broken, you may need to use tinyurl to shorten the link.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nathan Jensen
United States
Arizona
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
JewellGames wrote:
KS link is broken, you may need to use tinyurl to shorten the link.

Thanks. Fixed
http://tinyurl.com/k6o2qjr

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Koen Hendrix
United Kingdom
Liverpool
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mb
In general, for a project seeking $9000, I think the lack of final art is worrying. I realize the goal has to be high because you're printing so many cards per game, but it's a hard sell, especially given the (visual) quality of other $20 projects out there.

Best of luck!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rob Harper
United Kingdom
Wantage
Oxfordshire
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I don't have a problem with a lack of final art. After all, art is a big expense which would probably be what a lot of the funding would need to be for. However, if you want to be taken seriously, I think there should be at least some samples of the final artwork. Just one or two pieces to give people an idea of what they will be getting. If some of the pictures on the page are intended to be used as final artwork, label them as such (and be even clearer about the bits that are just concept art).

Good luck.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John James
United States
Waterbury
Connecticut
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Pledge $100 or more

"0 backers Limited (5 left of 5)

Become a pioneer -- Receive everything in the limited edition package PLUS send us picture of you and we will draw a party leader of your choice in your likeness and send you the original artwork."

...send us a picture...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nat Levan
United States
Glenside
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Hast ye seen the White Whale?
mbmbmbmbmb
The only recommendation I have, from experience watching other Kickstarters is to provide a PNP for free. It can be just the rough art and text, but let players try it out. It adds interest and investment, It also means extra free playtesting, and helps work out all of the final bugs with the rules or makes the rulebook wording clear.
Jamey Stegmaier just posted two great articles that seem particularly relevant:
http://stonemaiergames.com/fate-wont-decide-the-success-of-y...
http://stonemaiergames.com/kickstarter-lesson-86-preventing-...

Also, you may want to push off the start a week. Dice Hate Me Games is starting a campaign tomorrow for six 54-card games. Pioneers would be a direct competitor, but it doesn't look as polished, which could really hurt sales.

I hope this didn't seem like criticism, I'd really like you to have the most successful project you can. Best of luck!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nathan Jensen
United States
Arizona
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
thanks for all the feedback. We updated the page/art a bit more too

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kylara Jensen
United States
Mesa
Arizona
flag msg tools
mb
I really liked Oregon Trail
Ill probably back this
Make sure to get a intro video though
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Washburn
msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
I think the game looks neat and I bet it plays well. That said I will do my best to point out things that I see could hamper you and many things that you are not showing me that you have considered or even thought about. I am not being mean or rude. I want you fund your project but I think you have some big issues you need to address.

Are you going to link the rules? it says you are but they are not there. a large percentage of folks will not even give you the time of day without rules. I am going to tell you that without art on your demo cards you are going to have a tough time of it, that does not mean you can not get funded that just means your production value of your KSer is very low and the attention you will most likely match your production value.

Your demo copy of the game which you will showcase in your video and take to gaming stores to build interest should have a professional look to it. This instills confidence and helps to show that you can get things accomplished. KSer can be a tough sell. You are competing against companies that not only have a team of 4 or 5 folks maybe more working on the production they also are showing their game in a completed state.

I have run a campaign and we fell short. I will tell you the single reason production value. The game is great and the plays great everyone that played it last year at GenCon loved it. However that did not translate into dollars for us. The production value of the KSer page needed to be much higher.

Unless you have a way to get your game in front of thousands of folks where sheer numbers will get you done, your production value will have to be better as you have about 20 seconds or so to capture the viewer and hold on to them to have them scroll and stay on your site long enough to want to spend money.

Just think about what you are giving them to look at and really try to look at it from the buyers point of view. Currently you are showing me 5 cards which I think are characters and 3 bullet cards. no video yet. And your demo is not printed and is not professional looking.

Now does any of this mean you will not make your goal? No, not at all, but currently your production value is lacking. You live in Mesa, that is a large city and a suburb of Phoenix, there are 2 art schools less than 20 miles from you. Surely you can find someone to help you design some prototype cards for a far wage and get them printed so you are not showing your buyers a game hand written with black Xs on the cards. if that means you wait another 6 months for you to afford to get it done, WAIT! and take the time to get that completed along with other art as you can afford it.

a large part of the appeal of your game is the theme. You are selling the theme as much as you are selling the play of the game. You also might want to consider telling me who is printing the game. As a KSer patron I know many of the companies that folks use. Are you going with Panda? or Wingo? or Quality Cards and Games? this may also help a buyer to pick up your game. What is the 9k you are asking for going towards?

How much of the 9k is going to be spent on art? if any? and you are telling me you can get all the art completed and then the game will be shipped to my door by October. you have over 200 cards in the game? and almost no art, and you think it will be done by October?

here is a link to a gem that is on KSer right now, they are not a big company and this is the second run of the game.

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/cosmicwombatgames/stone...

If you look at the first run and then this run you will see the HUGE difference in production value. it is the same game. The second time around the production value is so much higher and he is not crushing the goal, he has beat it by 3k and there is only 3 days left.

I imagine he has been going non stop for the entire run of that game to get the 441 backers he is showing currently.

your game is 20 bucks with shipping included that is a nice price point, however if backers only buy the base game that is 50 backers per 1k or your goal. you need 450 backs just to make it. Where are you going to advertise?

I spent 1500 on web banners and ads and it did not have the effect I really wanted. and 1500 is nothing as far as advertising budgets go. Many websites have weighted ads. This means they show up more if you pay more. Also at the bottom of your page you say have thought of everything and gotten help from people who know what they are doing? Is that your company? or other successful KSer folks? I have not completed a successful KSer however my good friend "Insert Name Here" has, and they are going to be with me every step of the way to ensure I have not over looked anything. Just a thought.

good luck man. I hope your game get funded.

EDIT for spelling

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nathan Jensen
United States
Arizona
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
jason2043 wrote:

Thank you for the honesty. I did add a small area that says what cards are in the game and the rules will be added before launch. Unfortunately I dont see what we can do better for a video right now. Our intro video will be a touch better anyway. I think we will just do our best for now and go for it. Worst case, its not funded and we can try again another time. We have some personal reasons for not pushing the KS back any further too.
Thx again for your thoughts and if nothing else I will remember them for next go round

edit: I am also adding a section breaking down more why we need the money.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.