Hide
12 Posts

War of the Ring (Second Edition)» Forums » General

Subject: Winning by mere luck rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Incas Pinkas
msg tools
I have played four games now with my girlfriend, two as SP and two as FP. Every game was won by the SP player or more accurately lost by the FP player, since the ringbearer always took too much corruption in Mordor. In my games as FP player i went to Mordor with 0 corruption, blue cards in the bag and 1-3 anti-corruption cards on hand. Still i lost, by shear chance.
It's frustrating, since you play 4 hours strategically and just lose or win by chance. Are we doing something wrong or is this typical? After four games i kinda loathe this anti-climatic ending of every game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ian Madsen
United States
Kearns
Utah
flag msg tools
Trains!
badge
Houseplant?
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm curious if you are following the rules on allocating Eyes correctly? Are more Eyes being allocated to the Hunt (before rolling) then there are members of the Fellowship?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Karan R
India
Mumbai
flag msg tools
It's Karan, not Karen!
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
You don't want to enter mordor with more than 1-2 companions and try to move every turn
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Ladson
South Carolina
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
What the others said. Also, even though it's not canonical, you should be using companions as a meat shield rather than taking corruption (Except for Strider).

P.S. Actually, it is canonical in the sense that even though none of the Fellowship swore an oath on their life to protect the Ringbearer, I think any one of them would have voluntarily given their lives if it came to that.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jamie Y
England
Manchester
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
It is fairly unlikely to take 12 corruption in the number of moves it takes to dunk without some shadow special tiles featuring heavily or some very lucky eye rolls by SP, especially if you have FP special tiles in the mix. Remember if Gollum is the guide, standard hunt tiles do not reveal the Fellowship.

I'd check the rule book and ensure that you are following all the Mordor track rules correctly.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Boeren
United States
Marietta
Georgia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Something doesn't sound right. I don't know what you might be doing wrong but your experience seems to be off.

So yeah, start with re-reading the rules and see if you notice anything awry.

If you can't spot anything, try to post as detailed a description as you can about what happened on the turns when you were on the Mordor track and perhaps we can spot something that looks wrong.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Itamar Parann
Israel
Ramat Gan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
First of all, it is indeed possible to lose the game by unlucky results on Mount Doom: a Shelob Lair tile that gives 6 corruption can easily tip the scales, as does an Eye tile that appears with 5 dice in the Hunt Box.

So remember that the above is EXACTLY the sort of danger to expect on Mount Doom. The power of Sauron is strongest there, after all.
This means you need to come prepared: not only with reasonably low corruption and a corruption-scrubbing card or two, but, preferably, with a Fellowship hunt tile or two ready to enter the pot, and with enough distance from a possible SP military victory as to allow the Ring Bearers to remain stationary for a turn [even though this causes an automatic 1 corruption point] if the Hunt Box, due to a fluke, ends up loaded and you would rather not risk drawing an Eye hunt tile.
As mentioned, it can be very dangerous to arrive at the mountain with several companions, as those allow extra dice to be placed in the Hunt Box - I would rather arrive with only one companion at the most, and often prefer to arrive only with Gollum.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Abton Kuzur
msg tools
Edit: Whoops, forgot i already had another account here. I'm the OP.

I'm positive we followed the rules corrctly in the two games i was the FP player. The third game was after a long hiatus and we forgot some (perhaps crucial) rules.

So yeah, i got into Mordor with only Gollum and 2-3 blue tiles in the hunt bag. The last game i rolled literally dozens of muster dies and enrolled every one in Rohan and Gondor, after wich i started mustering in the north, which was totally out of nothing better to do. A military win was out of the question with no more recrutiment in the south and heavy SP pressure. The few move actions i rolled, SP player drawed eyes a 2, 3s and a red tile.
I had two cards which healed some corruption but eventually had 10 corruption on the last move. My last card let me redraw the hunt tile and i totally expected to win but the SP draw killed me both times.
3 things not to my advantage in this game: SP player killed Strider by luck (I killed the Witchking later). All 3 Ent cards were at the very bottom of the deck and i rolled more muster dies than anything else. The game also ended with both my decks empty.
Nevertheless i played very strategically, defended the south and elves and eventually lost by shear chance. My gf needs a really long time playing this game, reading cards, decision paralysis, etc. The game took around 5 hours. So at the end after 5 hours of gameplay a few lucky dies decide over who's the winner or looser. I like this game, but i don't see any merit in winning and loosing here.
Any idea how to make the endgame less unpredictable with houserules?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew Poulter
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Jaegar wrote:
Remember if Gollum is the guide, standard hunt tiles do not reveal the Fellowship.

Also, if the tile has not revealed you then Gollum can to reduce the corruption damage by 1.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Itamar Parann
Israel
Ramat Gan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Other than the tactical elements I mentioned above, there is an important strategic element that, from my experience, has a crucial effect on the Mount Doom results: military pressure.
Since the game is isometric, the connection is not always clear, but when the FP does not keep up enough pressure in the military front, this allows the SP to divert resources against the Ring Bearer - using Event Dice to take and play more Character Event Cards, foregoing the combat effects of Character Event Cards in order to utilize their Action Die events, and choosing to have the Ringwraith aspect of the Witchking in play [when using LoME].

It is hard to get the Ring to Mount Doom and destroy it, and that is just as it should be. But when you combine good strategy with reasonable tactics, this can be easily felt in-game. My main playing-partner and I are evenly matched, and almost all our games end with one side winning just as the other side is breathing down his neck; but I have yet to lose when playing with substantially less experienced gamers, which means that strategy and tactics are crucial, and luck is just part of the equation that said strategy and tactics should take into account.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Incas Pinkas
msg tools
Thanks for the answers. I'll play a few more games and see if my impression changes.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Raf B
United States
Oakland
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
lechium wrote:
The game also ended with both my decks empty.

This suggests you are taking too long to destroy the Ring and running the game past 15 turns. Of course, if you are rolling too many Musters, you may be having a hard time moving the FSP often enough. But if you are using Character dice to play cards or move armies, then you are giving the Shadow too much time to stomp you.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.