Summoner Wars: Master Set» Forums » Rules

Subject: Kaeseeall vs. Luka - Which one triggers first? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Alex W8er
Austria
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
In our last SW match we had a strange situation coming up.
I played the Mountain Vargath and had Luka on the battlefield. My opponent playing Phoenix Elves started his turn with Kaeseeall next to Luka.
So, which ability would have triggered first?

We declared that Lukas ability triggers first, so since Kaeseeall started her turn within 3 spaces of Luka, she couldn't use her ability.

However, we are not quite sure about it, because the rule book states something like this:
If two Special Abilities or Event Cards ever trigger at the exact same time, the player whose turn it is determines in which order to resolve these abilities/effects.

So would it have been possible for Kaeseeall to use her ability first, take over Luka, and then cancel the abilities of my units?

I still think it's:
MV turn ends and PE turn begins (Lukas trigger) -> Now it's PEs 'At the beginning' phase (Kaeseealls trigger)

Well, I don't know. HELP!!!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dezza
Australia
South Australia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Follow the active player choosing.
Kaeseeall's ability to activate first would not mean the Mountain Vargath player would lose their abilities because Luka would return to the MV player's control before the beginning of their turn.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joseph Arthur Ellis
United States
Ashland
Ohio
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm not 100% sure about this, but I think the phrases "units that begin a turn" and "at the beginning of your turn" are simultaneous.

In that case, the PE player would choose to have K's ability activate first, taking over Luka. Then Luka's ability would trigger and all the MV units nearby would lose their abilities for the PE player's turn (ie anything defensive such as Wardens).

Then the turn ends and Luka returns to MV's control... that turn proceeds as normal.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dezza
Australia
South Australia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
joepinion wrote:
Then Luka's ability would trigger and all the MV units nearby would lose their abilities for the PE player's turn (ie anything defensive such as Wardens).
Luka's ability is always active, but it would not have an effect on the Mountain Vargath.

"All enemy Units that begin a turn within 3 spaces of Luka have no Ability and cannot gain an Ability during that turn." (bolded for emphasis)

Phoenix Elves would not control Luka at the start of the Mountain Vargaths' turn for the Ability to have an effect.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joseph Arthur Ellis
United States
Ashland
Ohio
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
dezza wrote:
joepinion wrote:
Then Luka's ability would trigger and all the MV units nearby would lose their abilities for the PE player's turn (ie anything defensive such as Wardens).
Luka's ability is always active, but it would not have an effect on the Mountain Vargath.

"All enemy Units that begin a turn within 3 spaces of Luka have no Ability and cannot gain an Ability during that turn." (bolded for emphasis)

Phoenix Elves would not control Luka at the start of the Mountain Vargaths' turn for the Ability to have an effect.

But I'm referring to during the PE turn. So once again the Warden's ability for example gets negated.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dok Indigo
Germany
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
joepinion wrote:
dezza wrote:
joepinion wrote:

But I'm referring to during the PE turn. So once again the Warden's ability for example gets negated.

No, cause at the beginning of that turn the Wardens have not been enemies to Luka.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dezza
Australia
South Australia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The PE player takes control of Luka (thus negating her Ability against the PE).
The ability effects enemy units on the beginning of their turn.
PE player loses control of Luka at the end of their turn as per Kaeseeall's Ability (before the MV player's turn).
At the beginning of the MV turn, MV player controls Luka.
MV (wardens) are not enemies of Luka (or the MV player) at the start of their turn.

Luka's ability has no effect during the PE turn.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Seth Trammell
United States
Benton
Kentucky
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Luka's ability does not say that units in question have to begin THEIR OWN turn within 3 spaces of Luka.
So technically, if kaeseall triggers simultaneously w/ luka at the start of the PE turn, PE can take luka, and then (still at the beginning of the turn), luka's ability triggers on all enemy units in range.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joseph Arthur Ellis
United States
Ashland
Ohio
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Sethy295 wrote:
Luka's ability does not say that units in question have to begin THEIR OWN turn within 3 spaces of Luka.
So technically, if kaeseall triggers simultaneously w/ luka at the start of the PE turn, PE can take luka, and then (still at the beginning of the turn), luka's ability triggers on all enemy units in range.

Bingo.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dezza
Australia
South Australia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Sethy295 wrote:
I see the light.

Took some searching through the official forums, but 'begin a turn' generally means any turn.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alex W8er
Austria
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thank all you guys for all the input and analyzing/clarifying of Luka's Ability, but that wasn't really my question.

It looks like you guys all agreed that the effects would trigger both at the same time and the active player chooses what to do.
So Luka's card could also be read like this:
At the beginning of a turn, all enemy units within 3 spaces of Luka have no Ability and cannot gain an Ability during that turn.

I have to make sure to step away with Luka next time ...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.