1 , 2  Next »   | 

MERCS: Recon – Counter Threat» Forums » General

Subject: Crazy gameplay value on the $200 OPFOR level rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Justin Colm
msg tools
mbmb
Currently the $200 level is crazy value, if you have any kind of interest at all in the tabletop game, or if you have always wanted to try tabletop war games but were put off by cost and and complexity (like me).

Look at this for $200 (£140 including shipping for the UK!):

Recon: both base sets, plus no doubt MANY stretch goals, including at least one full expansion revealed so far.

Intro to the Mercs tabletop game: if current stretch goals are met (a dead cert) you will have 5 complete Mercs teams, even if you choose no additional add-ons, all with their relevant cards, and the Mercs rulebook, which is everything you need to play the game (plus a couple of D10s). Buying a faction starter set from the Mercs wesite is about $60 for a single team. They are metal, not plastic, of course, but to get into the tabletop game with the same amount of gaming material as you will have here would cost you about $300!!! Sure, shopping around would no doubt be cheaper than buying from their website but it gives you some idea of just how much you're saving, if you're not fussed about getting plastic instead of metal. Did I say intro to the TT game? Currently you'd be getting close to half the available content for it (in plastic)!! And there's still 4 weeks to go to unlock more and add to that...

Think tabletop games are too complex or expensive to get into? It will never be cheaper and easier than this. Mercs is fought one team of five against another. That's all you need. There's no better intro IMO. And it's a real fun game too. I suggest people check out the Beasts of War gameplay videos on Youtube. I did and it got me pretty excited. Believe me, the factions are a lot more unique and interesting than some people seem to think too. I was labouring under the same misconceptions until I actually checked out the game. In fact, a few days ago I was close to posting in agreement in the topic about how disappointing Recon looked

Conflict dice game: "I don't like dice games" / "don't know enough about it". Honestly, this is just a nice bonus anyway. The above is already awesome gaming value.

On top of all this.. if you are a Myth player, or are thinking of getting it

More Myth stuff! Currently, there is one revealed Agent character, and one new hero class. They are free stretches, not yet unlocked but, again, it's a dead cert. Something will have gone drastically wrong with the campaign if they don't. There will be more to add here too.

If you have any thoughts about ever getting any of these games and you let yourself miss this you are a fool. Seriously. If you don't have a Kickstarter account then MAKE ONE. If you've ever wanted to get into tabletop war gaming then you won't find any better opportunity value-wise.

I'm not talking here about components value(although there is a LOT here), I'm talking about sheer gameplay value. Seriously, there's a ridiculous amount.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Callahan
United States
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
High Flying Bird wrote:
Currently the $200 level is crazy value, if you have any kind of interest at all in the tabletop game, or if you have always wanted to try tabletop war games but were put off by cost and and complexity (like me).

Look at this for $200 (£140 including shipping for the UK!):

Recon: both base sets, plus no doubt MANY stretch goals, including at least one full expansion revealed so far.

Intro to the Mercs tabletop game: if current stretch goals are met (a dead cert) you will have 5 complete Mercs teams, even if you choose no additional add-ons, all with their relevant cards, and the Mercs rulebook, which is everything you need to play the game (plus a couple of D10s). Buying a faction starter set from the Mercs wesite is about $60 for a single team. They are metal, not plastic, of course, but to get into the tabletop game with the same amount of gaming material as you will have here would cost you about $300!!! Sure, shopping around would no doubt be cheaper than buying from their website but it gives you some idea of just how much you're saving, if you're not fussed about getting plastic instead of metal. Did I say intro to the TT game? Currently you'd be getting close to half the available content for it (in plastic)!! And there's still 4 weeks to go to unlock more and add to that...

Think tabletop games are too complex or expensive to get into? It will never be cheaper and easier than this. Mercs is fought one team of five against another. That's all you need. There's no better intro IMO.

Conflict dice game: "I don't like dice games" / "don't know enough about it". Honestly, this is just a nice bonus anyway. The above is already awesome gaming value.

On top of all this.. if you are a Myth player, or are thinking of getting it

More Myth stuff! Currently, there is one revealed Agent character, and one new hero class. They are free stretches, not yet unlocked but, again, it's a dead cert. Something will have gone drastically wrong with the campaign if they don't. There will be more to add here too.

If you have any thoughts about ever getting any of these games and you let yourself miss this you are a fool. Seriously. If you don't have a Kickstarter account then MAKE ONE. If you've ever wanted to get into tabletop war gaming then you won't find any better opportunity value-wise.

I'm not talking here about components value(although there is a LOT here), I'm talking about sheer gameplay value. Seriously, there's a ridiculous amount.

yeah,.... if you have ANY interest in the tabletop skirmish game,... this is a steal! That game is fun, fast, and very tactical.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J Ry
United States
Florida
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Is the TT more squad based level?

More like warmachine than Warhammer?

If so it may sway my interest.

I already have massive figure count war games in WH40K, Uncharted Seas, and a couple others.
I'm good in that area, and I know the money trap that is massive figure count war games.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bwian, just
United States
Longmont
Colorado
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
High Flying Bird wrote:

That's nice, but I don't see why starter sets are going to remain at $60. Having invested in the plastic molds, they can now produce the starter sets in plastic. Or see sales of this game cannibalize all their starter set sales, I guess.

On the other hand, a selling point of the game is that I can play it with the purchase of one $60 starter set. Why would I want to invest $200 and wait almost a year, if I can try the game out for much cheaper today?

High Flying Bird wrote:

Well, with such a ringing endorsement, I can see why I should pledge at $200 rather than $120 and add the tabletop book for $50. [/s]

Seriously, is anything known about this game? Can we get a rules .pdf posted? A review on the BGG page? Even a thread on the BGG page?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bwian, just
United States
Longmont
Colorado
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
ropya wrote:

Even lower figure count than Warmachine. They aren't kidding when they say five figures is all you need.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
MM
United States
Indianapolis
Indiana
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmb
There's some nice information here

(http://www.beastsofwar.com/mercs/mercs-week/)

on what's being discussed.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve Davit
United States
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
Bwian wrote:
Seriously, is anything known about this game? Can we get a rules .pdf posted? A review on the BGG page? Even a thread on the BGG page?

I agree that I want to know more about the game before I commit, but they did post the beta rules: https://www.dropbox.com/s/m020kdmxyf2lbcc/KS%20Rules%20initi...

It's towards the bottom of the Kickstarter page below the stretch goals. They also have a few videos, though I didn't find them super helpful. A review of the components and actual gameplay would be nice.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J Ry
United States
Florida
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Bwian wrote:
ropya wrote:

Even lower figure count than Warmachine. They aren't kidding when they say five figures is all you need.

Thanks for the info.
I'll have to read up more on it.

Sounds like a perfect fit do Deadzone and Battle systems terrain

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
W McG
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
High Flying Bird wrote:
if current stretch goals are met (a dead cert) you will have 5 complete Mercs teams

It does appear to be a good value after a quick glance at Kickstarter. I see two merc teams are unlocked per Recon game. Where's the 5th team unlock you are referring to coming from?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Johannes Haglund
Sweden
Göteborg
Västra Götaland
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
New_Sheriff wrote:
Where's the 5th team unlock you are referring to coming from?

It will be unlocked as a stretch goal if/when the KS reaches 400k.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
MM
United States
Indianapolis
Indiana
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmb
Bwian wrote:
ropya wrote:

Here's a how-to video -

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t7sxF49VySM&feature=youtu.be
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Simone C.
Italy
Roma
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Yep, it's the best pledge for TT backers. I'd like the same love even for Recon only backers, something like opfor pledge but without the extra stuff, just 100$ of add ons for 200$ pledge, that could be a nice touch, but i know that this KS is just a big advertice to Mercs world and the TT so the poor Recon only player have to look and hope for some more love

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Donny Behne
United States
Fate
Texas
flag msg tools
designer
www.punchboardmedia.com/geaux-gaming/
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
ropya wrote:
Bwian wrote:
ropya wrote:

Thanks for the info.

I specifically backed Deadzone to use the terrain in MERCS. Its a great, very tactical system. I'm hoping Recon brings us more MERCS players.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Hansen
United States
Sun Valley
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
ropya wrote:
Thanks for the info.

Yeah, that stuff will work great with MERCS, and the more constrained the better. I can see why they went with the office building interior for their initial offering.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J Ry
United States
Florida
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
kelann08 wrote:
ropya wrote:
Bwian wrote:
ropya wrote:

Thanks for the info.

I specifically backed Deadzone to use the terrain in MERCS. Its a great, very tactical system. I'm hoping Recon brings us more MERCS players.

Good chance you have one more right here.
I'll have to watch some demos and reviews this week.

It'd be awesome to have a full war game with several factions for a few hundred.
Instead of the thousands I've spent on 40k.
Not too mention being able to use a smaller table space.

I have some secret weapon city tiles coming as well.
So I'll be set on terrain.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J Ry
United States
Florida
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Ichirou wrote:
ropya wrote:
Thanks for the info.

Yeah, that stuff will work great with MERCS, and the more constrained the better. I can see why they went with the office building interior for their initial offering.

Do you think this is more a KS for the TT into plastic with a boardgames added in?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
MM
United States
Indianapolis
Indiana
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmb
ropya wrote:

Do you think this is more a KS for the TT into plastic with a boardgames added in?

Personally, I think this KS is all about market share and expanding the MERCS universe. Broadening themselves beyond TT into miniature board gaming, using the same IP is brilliant. Making the price point more attractive by going plastic is simply a compromise to keep prices in check. I don't know this for sure, but since the molds are already created for the TT game, they may be able to leverage a good deal of the setup for the mini's too.

Seems like a good thing for MERCS to become a more diverse company. Just my take.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Justin Colm
msg tools
mbmb
ropya wrote:
Ichirou wrote:
ropya wrote:
Thanks for the info.

I think it's both, although you still have to say Recon primarilly, because they'll have to get to a very high funding goal to make every faction in plastic. Good idea for Megacon Games and a great deal for anyone with any kind of interest in the MERCS world. Very win / win, like any good Kickstarter.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve Hajducko
United States
Newbury Park
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
yamato2 wrote:

yeah,.... if you have ANY interest in the tabletop skirmish game,... this is a steal! That game is fun, fast, and very tactical.

I do!

Unfortunately, no one in my gaming group does. cry
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Will Beckley
United States
Brooklyn
New York
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Bwian wrote:
ropya wrote:

Five isn't just all you need, five is all a single player is allowed to field. And the scenarios are all intended to be played on a 2'x2' or 2'x3' area (with plenty of terrain). And there's plenty of tactical options in that small package. The factions are all wildly different from one another, and each figure is very different from his teammates. Just the choice of which 5 of the (currently) 7 to bring into battle makes plenty of difference.

If/when it hits 400k, you're looking at all 7 figures for 4 factions (one of which is a brand new faction... Very smart MegaCon games), and 5 figures for a fifth faction, with 2 $25 expansions each with 5 figures. At $250, you'd have 7 factions, 4 of them complete (for the time being).

With a new faction and some new poses, they're really offering a lot for new players, old players, and people just interested in Recon.

Now I just have to find the $250...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
M Costa
United States
Parma
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
kelann08 wrote:
ropya wrote:
Bwian wrote:
ropya wrote:

Thanks for the info.

Well i went the opfor level i was interested in mercs and this is a nice stater set/boardgame/dicegame im very happy to invest in this i just need to learn how to paint .

Edit in yea first post ever at BBG long time lurker
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jake Rose
United States
Linden
North Carolina
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
You know, a basic paint job isn't too hard, yet there are some reasonably priced painters out there who would appreciate the work if you wanted to go that route. You could get one or two factions painted at a time as finances allowed.

Once you look at your time, materials, and space involved it may be a decent investment to have your figures done a few at a time by a painting service...

Jake (who can paint, but also does use painting services from time to time due to lack of time)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kirk Bauer
United States
Smyrna
Georgia
flag msg tools
Colored baggies for your games, www.boardgamestorage.com.
badge
Colored baggies for your games, www.boardgamestorage.com.
mbmbmbmbmb
I learned to paint 1.5 years ago and love it, but I have so many games to print I hire some of it out too.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J Ry
United States
Florida
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Just make sure to find someone trustworthy.
I hear more and more stories of panting con artist.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Martin Wakefield
United States
Shoreline
Washington
flag msg tools
One thing to know is MERCS said they wont be releasing any of the snipers for the recon KS, so you'll have to buy them separately/go without if you plan on using the models for TT MERCS.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.