Popular Tags: [View All]
Jonathan Powell
Ukraine
Berdyansk
flag msg tools
badge
I'm in my prime.
mb
Is there a post that details how to conduct an auction on BGG?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dice bags!
United States
Wurtsboro
NY
flag msg tools
admin
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Here you go

http://boardgamegeek.com/wiki/page/geeklist_auction
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joshua R
United States
Chicago
Illinois
flag msg tools
GO TO JAPAN!
badge
Artist: Shohei Otomo
mbmbmbmbmb
As someone who is in the middle of managing their first auction right now, I can say generally the auction process itself is pretty straightforward if you just do what you see other people doing.

That said, the one thing that I think really could use some more detailed documentation is the whole process surrounding creating a Marketplace listing and managing the checkout, because it's unlike any checkout process I've ever seen and it's hard to follow the steps, like know how you get your payment information to the buyer, how to communicate shipping, all that.

The wiki page linked above suggests the simpler "create one listing for the whole auction and have Octavian 'buy' it" method, but if you want to build up a trusted Marketplace rating, it's better to do individual listings so people can provide positive feedback.

The post above also doesn't mention one important thing: you cannot post about an item you have for auction in the game's forum - it's a TOS violation. I ran afoul of that purely by accident when I wanted to let people know that some unusual items I had available (but Octavian was cool about it and I'm all sorted out now).

ukraineboo, feel free to GM me if you want any specific one-newb-to-another information. I've learned a lot in the last week!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Liam
Scotland
flag msg tools
admin
badge
I am BGG's official honey trap
mbmbmbmbmb
I'd have a good look over the wiki Indigo has included (lots of essential points here) and the points made by Joshua.

100,000 feet.

An auction on BGG has two parts:

1. A geeklist where you add items and people bid.

2. A promotional thread in geekbay and an post on the metalist.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonathan Powell
Ukraine
Berdyansk
flag msg tools
badge
I'm in my prime.
mb
monkeyhandz wrote:
I'd have a good look over the wiki Indigo has included (lots of essential points here) and the points made by Joshua.

100,000 feet.

100,000 feet? What does that mean?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joshua R
United States
Chicago
Illinois
flag msg tools
GO TO JAPAN!
badge
Artist: Shohei Otomo
mbmbmbmbmb
ukraineboo wrote:
monkeyhandz wrote:

100,000 feet.

100,000 feet? What does that mean?

"Very high-level view" or the broadest possible generalization of the auction process.

I would add: 3. Settlement

...since that is the most complex part of the whole shebang.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Liam
Scotland
flag msg tools
admin
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
3. Settlement:

When the auction ends. You list the items at the winning price on the marketplace and sent the winners the link. They click on the link and 'buy the item' and you approve the sale. They send you the money, you then send the item and BGG calculates your 3% commission cost.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ron Price
United States
Columbus
Ohio
flag msg tools
It is pitch black.
badge
You are likely to be eaten by a grue.
mbmbmbmbmb
I've just started my first auction. Is there any other step I should be taking to make sure it gets seen?

The items listed are for Zombicide, (the family), specifically from or related to Zombicide Season 2: Prison Outbreak, but also additional items--is there something I should be doing to make this appear to people who have stuff showing up in their feeds, or is adding my auction to the meta-lists likely to be enough, because that wouldn't really make a difference?

I assume that listing the auction in the game forums is forbidden.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Liam
Scotland
flag msg tools
admin
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
puzzlemonkey wrote:
I assume that listing the auction in the game forums is forbidden.

That's correct.

Posting in the MetaList

Quote:
Additional advertisement happens in the MetaList - a super list collecting all the current and just-ended GeekList Auctions. Posting in this list notifies all subscribers to the MetaList that a new auction is in progress, and once an auction has been added to the MetaList, buyers may search for specific games offered using this tool.

Go to Geeklist-> http://www.boardgamegeek.com/geeklist/66420/metalist-for-gee... and
post a new item. From the header, click on "Add Item"
select "GeekList" from the 4th column.
enter the GeekListID in the box. This can be found by looking at the series of numbers in your GeekList's URL.
add a picture of your highlighted game (or some other picture of your choice). The ImageID can be found in the same manner as the GeekList ID.
refer to the header of the MetaList for additional rules and guidelines. In particular to editing the item after it has been posted.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.