1 , 2 , 3 , 4 , 5  Next »  [6] | 

Wargames» Forums » General

Subject: Anyone wargamming Crimea/Ukraine? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Brynn Coza
msg tools
mb
Surprisingly, I don't think I've seen this topic yet. Maybe I missed it. I'm curious if anyone out there is going through any Crimea/Ukraine wargames, past or present. If so, what are they?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
K G
United States
Delafield
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
Movember
mb
I've been wondering the same, but the present situation seems more like politics, doesn't it?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Albert
United States
St. Paul
Minnesota
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
TheDevax wrote:
Surprisingly, I don't think I've seen this topic yet. Maybe I missed it. I'm curious if anyone out there is going through any Crimea/Ukraine wargames, past or present. If so, what are they?

Brian Train has a new PnP that's really present -- as in, this week: http://brtrain.wordpress.com/2014/03/16/a-new-pnp-game-ukrai...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Greg S
United States
Pipersville
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm currently playing Soviet Dawn, and I was thinking it would be a perfect system for the current unpleasantness.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eddy Sterckx
Belgium
Vilvoorde
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Roll a D6

On a result of 1 to 5 nothing happens. On a 6 : re-roll

Pretty boring simulation up to now I'd say
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mitchell Land
United States
Ballwin
Missouri
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
I'll be the obligatory Case Blue poster this time.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brynn Coza
msg tools
mb
It's mostly political now, yes. Hopefully it will stay that way, but hypthetical scenarios could be interesting. Thanks for the link Jason.

I've just been trying to better understand the history of the region, myself, and I've learned a lot.

I started with Assault on Sevastopol by Victory Point games, a very interesting little scenario if you dig into the history books while playing. I'm reading Sevastopol 1942: Von Manstein's Triumph by Robert Forczyk. Anyone know other good ones?

I just got GMT's Barbarossa: Crimea, 1941-1942 to the table and am working through the rules. It looks fun and has several small map tutorial scenarios.

I think I may look into GMT's Barbarossa: Road to Kiev next. If it's good, GMT has a nice little Barbarossa series.

I also did some reading on 19th century Crimean War. Anyone know of a good representation of it?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Johnson
United States
Santa Clarita
California
flag msg tools
designer
That's a Palm Pilot on the left, and a pink iPod mini on the right. Yes, I've been doing BGTG that long!
badge
http://www.WargamesToGo.com
mbmbmb
I picked up Millennium Wars: Ukraine recently, but haven't played it yet.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bill Eldard
United States
Burke
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
TheDevax wrote:
It's mostly political now, yes. Hopefully it will stay that way, but hypthetical scenarios could be interesting.

It looks a lot like Ethiopia 1936, or Sudetenland/Czechoslovakia 1938.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gordon J
United States
Eagan
Minnesota
flag msg tools
Print and Play Gamer
mbmbmbmbmb
AlbertaClipper wrote:
TheDevax wrote:

Brian Train has a new PnP that's really present -- as in, this week: http://brtrain.wordpress.com/2014/03/16/a-new-pnp-game-ukrai...

Thanks Jason for the link.

This crisis hits close to home as my wife is from Poland and the people we have talked to back there are just a little bit worried to say the least--the Poles have seen this crap before, and have heard those same promises of "we are with you and we'll back you up." Not that I think it will get to that.

Thanks to Brian for posting this free game. I downloaded it already.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Cpl. Fields
South Africa
Hopelessly Surrounded
Isandlwana, Zululand
flag msg tools
<insert something pithy here>
badge
<insert something clever here>
mbmbmbmbmb
TheDevax wrote:
I'm curious if anyone out there is going through any Crimea/Ukraine wargames

I'm pretty sure this guy is:

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Carl Fung
United States
Old Greenwich
Connecticut
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
zuludawn wrote:
TheDevax wrote:
I'm curious if anyone out there is going through any Crimea/Ukraine wargames

I'm pretty sure this guy is:

I don't know if I want to play against him. One because I figure he'd pull my arms out of its sockets like a Wookie if I lose, and two him clipping counters across from me with his bare chest would be distracting.

There was this discussion about Next Wars I: Orange Crush – Civil War in the Ukraine:

http://boardgamegeek.com/thread/1134392/orange-crush-nato-ba...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gilles Daquin
Japan
Tokyo
Tokyo
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
eddy_sterckx wrote:
Roll a D6

On a result of 1 to 5 nothing happens. On a 6 : re-roll

Pretty boring simulation up to now I'd say

I hope it remains boring. In the end, it really doesn't matter. One sort of ok corrupt government for another sort of ok corrupt government is much ado about nothing.

I don't think any of the western governments care either besides the crowd pleasing protests.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Roger Hobden
Canada
Montreal
Quebec
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
If the UK gives back Gibraltar to Spain, they might then have the credibility to ask Russia to withdraw it's troops. Same with the USA and Hawai, etc., etc.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kent Reuber
United States
San Mateo
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
MarkEJohnson wrote:
I picked up Millennium Wars: Ukraine recently, but haven't played it yet.

I bought this from the BGG Marketplace. I haven't gotten it yet.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bill Eldard
United States
Burke
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Mallet wrote:
If the UK gives back Gibraltar to Spain, they might then have the credibility to ask Russia to withdraw it's troops. Same with the USA and Hawai, etc., etc.

How about it the UK swaps Gibraltar for the Crimea?

Washington has already determined that the Ukraine is too many hexes away, and it's used up all its Event Cards and Supply chits for this round.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
K G
United States
Delafield
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
Movember
mb
I think Washington is assuming that the Russian-speaking Ukrainians (Ukrainian-based Russians?) will regret their referendum vote once they understand how poor Russia is.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian Train
Canada
Victoria
British Columbia
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks Gordon and Jason.
I had been thinking about how to do a game on the situation, and sat down on the weekend to bang it out - that weekend was the weekend of the 97% referendum, the situation seemed to be changing every few hours, and I wanted to finish it and make it available before Putin invaded Ukraine (which at the time looked like a distinct possibility).

I made some revisions Monday and Wednesday, to develop the non-kinetic side of the game as it looks as if that will be how it will play out (it's possible to play the game without an actual invasion).
But I think I will leave it for now, as a product of a one-man "game jam" like the video game people do.
I never claimed any prescience or enduring applicability for it, it's just an effort to game the news as it appeared at the time.

Brian
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
joe mcgrath
United States
Warrington
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
Mallet wrote:

Say, now that the Rooskies are so big on self-determination, when is the referendum going to be held in Chechnya?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lance McMillan
United States
Lakebay
Washington
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
navigator37 wrote:
when is the referendum going to be held in Chechnya?

"The Kremlin is proud to announce that 110% of Chechen residents who submitted ballots in the recent plebicite were overwhelmingly in favor of their region remaining a part of the Soviet Union Russia. Voter turnout exceeded 140%! Long live the Czar President Putin!"

Nothing ever changes in Russia. whistle
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thom0909
United States
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
navigator37 wrote:
Mallet wrote:

Say, now that the Rooskies are so big on self-determination, when is the referendum going to be held in Chechnya?

In fairness, they aren't the only ones to hold inconsistent views on this issue.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
flag msg tools
Kluvon wrote:
I think Washington is assuming that the Russian-speaking Ukrainians (Ukrainian-based Russians?) will regret their referendum vote once they understand how poor Russia is.

Poor is better than dead.. Think Russian..or Ukrainian.

=================

None of this 'upsets' me or anyone else that thinks about it - or knows History - my gosh, what the hell ARE WE DOING? The real dangerous rhetoric is the American rhetoric, I think - what should we do? Should we do anything?

We can't do anything directly - so, invest in our allies and former enemies...Iran comes to mind as someone who might need to Look West again - The Former Current Soviet Union has to worry any of its neighbors.

Russian Bear is awakening from hibernation - it is what he does.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Iain K
United States
Arvada
Colorado
flag msg tools
badge
TheDevax wrote:

I just got GMT's Barbarossa: Crimea, 1941-1942 to the table and am working through the rules. It looks fun and has several small map tutorial scenarios.

I think I may look into GMT's Barbarossa: Road to Kiev next. If it's good, GMT has a nice little Barbarossa series.

That's Barbarossa: Kiev to Rostov, 1941 and I prefer it to the Crimean member of the series as it's more dynamic and has better scenarios.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bill Eldard
United States
Burke
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Kluvon wrote:

Having worked in or with the US government inside the Beltway for 20 years, I think you're giving Washington too much credit for knowing what it's doing.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lance McMillan
United States
Lakebay
Washington
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Eldard wrote:
I think you're giving Washington too much credit for knowing what it's doing.

Brilliant.

And it ain't partisan politics -- a GOP administration would be just as flummoxed as the current one. It's just DC politics as usual (more's the pity).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2 , 3 , 4 , 5  Next »  [6] | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.