Troels Rohde Hansen
Denmark
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
i have seen some guides here and other places. They give sound advice, but some uses terms and techniques that I would not know, if I wasn't so into painting. I am and other enthusiast will cringe at my advice below, but this is:

The super fast, easy and cheap way to get colored playing pieces. I made several grades, but they are not additive. Pick a level and do that, as they are not necessarily made so you can level up later:

You must clean the model from the "flakes" that protude from the models, where they are not supposed to. This is called flash, and happens because a plastic escapes the mold just slightly. Then clean the figures in water with a little dish washing soap.

You need any kind of solvent free black spray paint. All the steps below assume that the figure is sprayed all black first.

Grade D (The Pawn)

this will make all of the model in one uniform color, regardless of skin and gear, with some depth in the color.

You need:
1 brush
1 pot of normal model paint
1 pot of Citadel Wash from Games Workshop. Ask in store
(Buy the wash first, as they are more limited in colors)

You pick a color for your team. Like blue. Then you buy a blue that is slightly lighter than you like. Wash is bought in the store,in the same color.

Apply paint to your brush, and wipe it of a bit. The brush should have some color, and be soaked, but not have a coat or blob of paint. Never cover more than half of the brush. You might apply a blob on a saucer or plastic lid and add a little bit water to the paint. Cover the miniature.

Let it dry, for at least half an hour.

Take the pot of wash. Apply 1 drop of dish washer soap in the pot and mix gently. Then apply the was all over your figure - be more generous in resses.

One color figures, with some depth. done!

Grade C - (The fancy pawn)

This will produce a look similar to grade D, but with more depth and eye candy.

This uses the same as above, with the following exceptions:

Buy a middle color, that is, not dark, nor light.

And when you are done, do the following:

Take your paint again, not the wash. Apply paint to the bruh. Now wipe most of it off again on a paper towel. Go on, i know it seems stupid, but trust me on this one. Then swipe it lightly on your finger, or a piece of print paper. You want only a slight shade or patchy pattern of the color, coming of the brush. Now go over all the heightened areas of the model, with this technique. Redo the paint procedure when no more color comes of the brush.

This is called adding a highlight and make the model stand out even more.

More advanced methods coming soon,if people are interesting in doing a bit more(like skin color, yet the technique is the same, you just need different paints.)

Use a felt pen to apply number on the back plates.

...Troels
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Troels Rohde Hansen
Denmark
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I will just reserve this post in case, I need to extend it over more post or have a reference post.

more to come

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adrian George
United States
Austin
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I hope you continue.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alex
Germany
Hamburg
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
I need to ask this because I am a real newbie when it comes to painting: Is it possible to add details to the model like skin color after you've used the wash on it? Or will it look odd, if you apply a completely different color (skin color on a model washed in blue) after washing?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael B
United States
Mississippi
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Gronlokk wrote:
I need to ask this because I am a real newbie when it comes to painting: Is it possible to add details to the model like skin color after you've used the wash on it? Or will it look odd, if you apply a completely different color (skin color on a model washed in blue) after washing?

With the GW washes it's completely possible to just paint over them with a skin color, but the better thing to do would be to invest in the mini painter's best friend "Black Paint". Just go over the area back to black and then paint the color you want on there.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Troels Rohde Hansen
Denmark
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
No Alex, that shoudl be fine.

All blue, then blue wash, then skin color - it is a nice addition.

The point of my post, was to get really basic, really simple fast... and cheap.

So I try to reduce the amount of things you have to buy to get started. Get a medium skin tone and apply it. This will already take the mini to the next level. One step further you could carefully apply a wash to the skin parts, in a brown tone. Go over it again after with the skin tone.

Good looking skin is only achieved by making a layer of dark, medium and light skin, and so, but that will be another post.

...Troels

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Troels Rohde Hansen
Denmark
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
That is a good idea too, but Michaell... buying black and white paint is the advanced classes

...Troels

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael B
United States
Mississippi
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Oh come on now. A pot of Black Paint is essential at any level.

Also yes you're right you should be able to just go right over it with another color with no problem.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Beyer
Denmark
Copenhagen
flag msg tools
more.
badge
I did a step by step picture tutorial on how to paint forge fathers, Orx and Veermyn on Mantic's forums: http://forum.manticblog.com/showthread.php?3011-Rattus-Rattu...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Villa
United States
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Why dish-washer soap in the wash, whats does that do?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Hill
United Kingdom
Cambridge
Cambridgeshire
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
dajebriza wrote:
Why dish-washer soap in the wash, whats does that do?

This is to break the surface tension of the wash, which helps it sink into the recesses.

If you don't want add the dish soap directly to the wash then use a pallette with wells or dimples, put dish soap on one, some of the wash in another, then transfere a small spot of dish soap into the well with the wash in it with the tip of a brush and mix it around.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Villa
United States
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Do you have to put the drop of dish soap into the bottle of wash every time you use it or just one drop in the bottle and that bottle is good until it runs out over many uses?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Hill
United Kingdom
Cambridge
Cambridgeshire
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
dajebriza wrote:
Do you have to put the drop of dish soap into the bottle of wash every time you use it or just one drop in the bottle and that bottle is good until it runs out over many uses?

I personally wouldn't add the dish soap to the wash in the pot itself, but would do what I suggested and use a palette.

However, one drop of dish soap in a pot should be plenty to last until you've used all the wash up.

(I actually use Vallejo Glaze Medium, which does the same thing)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.