19 Posts

BoardGameGeek» Forums » Gaming Related » Recommendations

Subject: Gears of War or Zombicide? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
John Austin
msg tools
mb
Hoping you guys can throw out some pro's and cons here.

First, a bit about me. I primarily like fantasy themed games (but I'm giving something else a shot here of course) and they must be either solo or co-op. I definitely lean more towards the Ameritrash style of game, I just love rolling dice and getting an unexpected result. I also don't have a lot of table space - I guess around 4ft by 3ft. I'll be getting Runebound at some point when I can.

Anyway, I've decided on my new game and its going to be either Zombicide or Gears of War but I just can't decide between the two. I'm really on the fence here so I'm hoping you all can weigh in a bit (or suggest something else that's better?). Thanks!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
cory swafford
United States
Waterbury
Vermont
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I would say to go with Defenders of the Realm. Solo or co-op are both great ways to play that game. Fantasy themed, dice rolling, adjustable difficulty. Takes a large amount of space as well.
Also, a great solo game is Mage Knight. Not much dice rolling in that one but a great fantasy themed game and plays, in my opinion, best as a solo but can be co-op or competitive as well.

Out of the two you were looking at I have played neither. Gears of war is on my want list though. Zombiecide...not so much.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thomas
United States
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
"Music That Glows In The Dark"
mbmbmbmbmb
Defenders of the realm is a bloated version of pandemic. It also takes a lot of table space and depending on the scenario, so will zombicide. Gears is a good game but it's about touch choices and very tactical. The pathfinder card game might be a better choice if you can't get a bigger table.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
포크
Germany
Freiburg
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Your table space should be sufficient for either one of them. Close, but enough.
I personally find Gears of War to be the better game. Components-wise, both are very good, but the rules, tactical choices and overall atmosphere while playing are just that much better in GoW imo. Zombicide can also be fun, but I think it needs a great group to really shine. For solo play, get GoW.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
cliff hutton
United States
Plymouth
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Have both and from my experience would recommend Zombicide, but Gears of War may be a better solo experience.

Gears of War is a little harder and more complex. Also seems to have a little more push your luck with dice rolling.

Zombicide does have that walking dead, feel. Better for more causal players. Has been a big hit with my groups ( at least the AT co-op crowd.)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Magic Pink
United States
Minneapolis
Minnesota
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Definitely not Zombicide. The game is rife with AWFUL rules, errors and misprints, no playtesting and CMON is swiftly becoming one of the worst companies in the business.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Warren Zdan
United States
Council Bluffs
Iowa
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Gears of War. There are a couple really asinine rules that ruin Zombicide for me and others I've talked to. You can probably find some complaint threads on the zombicide forums about the ranged attack rule, and zombies splitting if you want more info. Plus it can take up a lot more table space (to be fair, I haven't gotten to the end game scenarios in gears of war yet, but the GoW tiles are a lot smaller than zombicide's). The mechanics in GoW are a lot more robust, and it requires more thinking, but still plenty of dice chucking. A lot of the love for zombicide is related to the miniatures, but I'd actually give the edge in mini quality to GoW as well. I think the only advantages Zombicide has would be ease of play and expandability.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert R
United States
Smithfield
Utah
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I haven't actually tried Gears, but I have played the heck out of the video game series. I've heard good things about the board game. It's supposed to be kinda like horde mode and it's very tactical. The monsters are naturally supposed to be smarter than in Zombicide.

That said, I do own season 1 and 2 of Zombicide. I have played several different scenarios and had fun every time with a lot of different groups and gamer types. It's a big game that takes up a lot of space, but there is not a lot of busy work to deal with. No hit point tracking. Very little action point tracking. And the zombies are easy to learn to control. You always start out desperate for gear and the only way to get it is to enter a building which spawns in a bunch of zombies to fight before you are really ready. The combat is intuitive and the scenarios are a lot of fun. They also have a scenario editor online and a ton of fan made missions to download for free. There is so much content it will take a while to get through it all. To top it off, this is a game that just begs for customization and house rules. You can easily tweak the difficulty of any mission. My recommendation is Zombicide. Just don't be a completionist on this one because CMON is notorious for lots of Kickstarter exclusives. My opinion is, buy it retail at a better price and don't worry about the promo crap. It's not worth the hassle.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Shane Larsen
United States
Salt Lake City
UT
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Gears of War: The Board Game for sure. It is one of my favorite solo games, second only to Ghost Stories.

Since you like rolling dice, GoW is the way to go. When I'm in a dice-chucking mood, it's the first game in my collection I think of. I even bought an extra pack of dice because on some turns I needed more than the supplied number in the base game, and I wanted to be able to chuck'em all at once! This is definitely an Ameritrashy, dice-chuckin' game. But the decisions are so hard and interesting that the game still has appeal to Euro lovers, like me.

In terms of table space, I'd call Gears a medium-size game. It's not small, but it's not big either. Some scenarios are bigger than others. I think the big scenarios will be tight on your table. The small scenarios, no problem. FWIW, Defenders of the Realm is a GIGANTIC game. I'm not sure what someone was thinking after you said you had only a small table to work with (not to mention you had already said you are choosing between two different games).

Get Gears. I'm certain you won't regret it.

Have fun!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Austin
msg tools
mb
Looks like its Gears for me then! Thanks all for your advice and time.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
reaching out from the in-between spaces...
United States
Baldwin
New York
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I bought GoW based on what everyone was calling a robust AI system. Certain enemies are triggered by the card you pull that time that makes the AI react in an unpredictable yet still logical fashion.

I think you made a solid choice.

I feel Zombicide works better with a group of players.

Jorune

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Shane Larsen
United States
Salt Lake City
UT
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Jorune wrote:
I bought GoW based on what everyone was calling a robust AI system. Certain enemies are triggered by the card you pull that time that makes the AI react in an unpredictable yet still logical fashion.

Jorune speaks the truth about something I failed to mention. The AI system in GoW is really smart. At first, it might feel a little clunky when you first have to flip several cards before you trigger one. But once you get used to how the cards work, and become familiar with their names and effects, you realize there is a really smart system in there; challenging, smart, and very alive for a deck of cards.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve McCormick
England
Carlisle
Cumbria
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Yup, Gears of War. Zombicide is fun but much more flawed and less thematic.

I'd also say Eldritch Horror (as I do in every post)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
JS
Germany
North Germany
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Gears of War rocks. Get it!
Alternatives: Level 7 Omega Protocol, Galaxy Defenders
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Austin
msg tools
mb
Well, an update.

The courier guy dropped Gears of War off at 10.30am. It is now 7.40pm. I've been playing it off and on all day. It's pretty hard but very satisfying. It does take up a little bit of table space, but I'm sure when I get things organised it will be easier (I must get some clear plastic bags and such for all the odds and ends and cards - maybe one of those fishing tackle boxes). My box got a bit of a dent in the corner, no big deal, but all of the miniatures have warped bases. Most of them aren't too bad but some aren't so great. When I place them, they tend to wobble for a bit. Boomers that think they're Weebles, heh. Bases aside, the quality of the figures is fantastic. I've never painted one before, but after looking at a few examples on this site I'm thinking I might give it a go.

Anyway, I'm blown away by this game. I've died a number of times but the deaths were glorious. So that's ok by me.

Thanks all
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
reaching out from the in-between spaces...
United States
Baldwin
New York
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Great to here. Thanks for the update.

You should contact FFG and get replacements. They are top notch in customer service.

Jorune
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
josh willhite
United States
La Junta
Colorado
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Soak them in really, really hot water. Then very carefully try to bend them back into shape.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve McCormick
England
Carlisle
Cumbria
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
jawmonkey wrote:
Soak them in really, really hot water. Then very carefully try to bend them back into shape.

Dip them in icy water when reshaped. FFG will tell you to do this, rather than replace them (my Descent 2.0 was like this).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Austin
msg tools
mb
imalrightjack wrote:
jawmonkey wrote:

Dip them in icy water when reshaped. FFG will tell you to do this, rather than replace them (my Descent 2.0 was like this).

Interesting. I'll give it a whirl, thanks guys.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.