Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
eli goldman
Israel
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
Hi,

We are almost finishing our first board game (for kids/teens).

My dilemma is about the Box type:
We can do a box like the one of catan / monopoly or a box like "pizza box".
(Our game is about pizza delivery but i am asking generally...)
The production price of the 2 options is with a big difference.

Also we are thinking about adding Card board inner / PS tray or none of them.

How important this 2 things to you ?

Thanks in advance modest
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nathan
United Kingdom
London
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I reckon a pizza box style box will probably appeal more to teenagers and children. If it was the same size as other boxes that would be cool as well so it fits well on the shelf. TtR size would be good, like the map packs. It also happens to look the same size as a pizza box
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Moose Much?
United States
Soldotna
Alaska
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmb
A pizza box with a card board liner to hold pieces, sounds rad!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Biggs
United States
Columbia
Maryland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
A box that looked like and opens like a pizza box I think would have a great appeal for a pizza delivery game. Sadly my first impressions with any game are based on the box and meterial qualities. My favorite so far in initial quality has been Takenoko. I would think there are dozens of companies out there which do pizza boxes.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lloyd
United Kingdom
Camden
London
flag msg tools
badge
This game is bullshit.
mbmbmbmbmb
Pizza Box Football does exactly this!

To be honest, it will limit your appeal somewhat - because the game looks slightly less serious. But it clearly has worked in the past...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Doug Hook
United States
Lansing
Michigan
flag msg tools
designer
"Many that live deserve death. And some that die deserve life. Can you give it to them? Then do not be too eager to deal out death in judgement. For even the very wise cannot see all ends."
badge
"I wish it need not have happened in my time," said Frodo. "So do I," said Gandalf, "and so do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us."
mbmbmbmbmb
For your target group the pizza box sounds like a great idea! Although I prefer my games to some standard size I remember how my kids enjoyed the The Godfather Game that came in a box shaped like a violin case. Played that a lot back then.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Biggs
United States
Columbia
Maryland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I wish all my games were the same size too, but really, thats not going to happen.

Heck, a box that looks like a violin case is going to get much more attention on a store shelf than a box that is the exact same size as 50 other boxes.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christian Gienger
Germany
Germany
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
If you make a game about pizza delivery and the game box is a pizza box, that's great. But be sure that the prize is not getting over the edge. As someone pointed out in another thread: If the final price will rise from 34 to 39 $ it's probably ok, but there are thresholds in games.

IIRC Kremlin in the old German edition had a kind of pizza box-box.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jim Hansen
United States
Seattle
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Pizza Theory also did the pizza box:

IMO, it looked kind of tacky and prone to wear and tear. But there is a certain charm to it. As a gamer I would prefer a standard size box, but I could see the appeal for other people.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
eli goldman
Israel
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
thanks to all -
and what about the need of Card board inner / PS tray or none of them?!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christian Gienger
Germany
Germany
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I don't care for box inserts. I often remove them, if they are not very functional.
Dominion has a great insert and I would not want to miss it, but I can't think of another game right now that I think about this way.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeremy Fridy
United States
Kent
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I don't care about the box. Actually making boxes for my favorite Print and Play or Zip lock bag games are quite enjoyable.

Also if you EVER think of making expansions, remember to make room in the original box for it. It's a pain to carry multiple boxes for one game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Nicosia
United States
Portland
Oregon
flag msg tools
badge
SMASH!!!
mbmbmbmbmb
Must be a pizza box. Must have little plastic circle with 3 legs that holds up center of pizza box.

/thread

On a side note- I'm actually surprised pizza boxes are more expensive than, well, any other size box, since, you know, pizzas are probably more common/sell more daily than board games. Getting them from a pizza box supplier in bulk should be dirt cheap, no?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Philip Becker
United States
Kentucky
flag msg tools
mbmb
I hate when games have space for expansions. It makes me feel gouged. Was good content removed so I would buy the rest later? Or are they just assuming that they are so awesome I'll want more?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Jackson
United States
Greensboro
North Carolina
flag msg tools
badge
What is the sound of one card shuffling?
mbmbmbmbmb
zenpunk wrote:
Must be a pizza box. Must have little plastic circle with 3 legs that holds up center of pizza box.

/thread

On a side note- I'm actually surprised pizza boxes are more expensive than, well, any other size box, since, you know, pizzas are probably more common/sell more daily than board games. Getting them from a pizza box supplier in bulk should be dirt cheap, no?

i would assume that you would need a sturdier box for a board game than an actual cardboard pizza box.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Nicosia
United States
Portland
Oregon
flag msg tools
badge
SMASH!!!
mbmbmbmbmb
Ah_Pook wrote:
i would assume that you would need a sturdier box for a board game than an actual cardboard pizza box.

Sturdier than the large boxes, of course, but was more thinking of the smaller ones, which are usually thicker and sturdier, with tabs that fold in to hold it closed even. Kinda ike the ones you get a personal pie to go in from a place like Chicago Uno.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stijn Hommes
Netherlands
Dordrecht
Zuid Holland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I would go with the innovative box or the box that fit the theme every time. However, you didn't say how much the price difference is. Is it prohibitive for your intended audience?

Also, will a different box cause trouble in shelving for retailers? You have to weigh the pro's and the con's and make the decision.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.