Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Kenneth Sheffield
United States
Aberdeen
North Carolina
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
It certainly was easier to get the desired hands but that also lead to a higher likelihood of Cheatin' so things could get ugly in both directions.

I never heard of mass switching to sealed.

It did lead to new formats such as Bicycle (only one of each value) and Double Barrel (not more than 2 of any particular card)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Todd Rowland
United States
Mobile
Alabama
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
Never know what's next.
mbmbmbmbmb
Bicycle is even included in the rulebook this time too IIRC. It's an alternate but it's there.

Also, while yes you can build towards certain hands, that's part of the meta of the game. Can you always get them? I suppose that depends as much on what your opponent does to affect your game as it does your own play.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Sexton
United States
Silver Lake
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
As others have said, the meta for deck construction was the push and pull between loading up on certain values so that you could build nice hands for combat without exposing yourself to risk due to having weaker cards or by cheating too often (either in the events phase or in combat). If you went all in with the most powerfull cards around, the greater the odds were that you opened yourself up to the nasty penalties for cheating. If you avoided cheating, you would run the risk of having weaker hands in combat and having less power or synergy amongst the cards in your deck.

It leads to very interesting deck building dilemmas. The Bicycle variant and sealed deck were both very popular formats in my area.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric Jome
United States
Franklin
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mb
Bannoran wrote:
If I remember rightly first time round the more cards that got released didn't it just lead to everybody just getting the poker hands they wanted every time?

Cheatin! cards, sir. Cheatin! cards.

It seems a lot of people quit the old Doomtown in the early Episodes. That's understandable. I'm not sure that early game was as rigorously playtested as it should have been. Things like the Headline rule got added to limit the power of Events, for example.

If I had to guess, it seems likely that problems the old game had will be the first things fixed this time. And if you didn't play the game after Pine Box, you missed out on by far the best era of the game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Sexton
United States
Silver Lake
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
cosine wrote:
Bannoran wrote:
If I remember rightly first time round the more cards that got released didn't it just lead to everybody just getting the poker hands they wanted every time?

Cheatin! cards, sir. Cheatin! cards.

It seems a lot of people quit the old Doomtown in the early Episodes. That's understandable. I'm not sure that early game was as rigorously playtested as it should have been. Things like the Headline rule got added to limit the power of Events, for example.

If I had to guess, it seems likely that problems the old game had will be the first things fixed this time. And if you didn't play the game after Pine Box, you missed out on by far the best era of the game.

Yeah, the high water mark for me and most players I knew was the Kingdom Come storyline event and the immediate fallout fiction Rob drafted.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Boeren
United States
Marietta
Georgia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm wondering whether there will be any built-in punishment for Cheating or if it will only be through including specific Cheatin! cards.

Netrunner for instance has a default way to punish Tags, but also includes cards that allow different forms of tag punishment.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Sexton
United States
Silver Lake
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
dboeren wrote:
I'm wondering whether there will be any built-in punishment for Cheating or if it will only be through including specific Cheatin! cards.

Netrunner for instance has a default way to punish Tags, but also includes cards that allow different forms of tag punishment.

I think the way I would do it is to make "cheatin'" cards a bit more dual purposed then what they were. Most folks wouldn't run them in serious decks because a well crafted deck wouldn't cheat much. I think if the cheatin' cards had other uses (like offering a small bonus if you played it as something other than as a reaction to cheatin) you'd see them used more often.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Boeren
United States
Marietta
Georgia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Yes, that's exactly the issue I was thinking of. It's not reliable enough to:
1. Have your opponent cheat
and
2. Happen to have the card in your hand at that exact moment

Therefore, these cards are hard to justify in a deck. A second use would help with that. I actually like that better than a built-in cheating penalty because that would just reduce cheating as a whole making anti-cheating cards even MORE unusable.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Sexton
United States
Silver Lake
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
dboeren wrote:
Yes, that's exactly the issue I was thinking of. It's not reliable enough to:
1. Have your opponent cheat
and
2. Happen to have the card in your hand at that exact moment

Therefore, these cards are hard to justify in a deck. A second use would help with that. I actually like that better than a built-in cheating penalty because that would just reduce cheating as a whole making anti-cheating cards even MORE unusable.

I happened to run some cheatin' cards in my high octane Agency deck through the run of the game for a couple of reasons though:

1- There were some that worked well for building Dead Man's Hands.
2- The combat cheatin' cards were extremely powerful.
3- The ability to threaten cheatin' cards is enough to cause your opponent to be less aggressive towards you. Fighting on your own terms is vital in this game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christopher Hanson
United States
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Jackalope Stampede was the first major fix against Cheatin' hands once the game progressed to "who can get their five of a kind out first" decks.

Another format was Kansas City; you forfeit if you ever reveal a cheating hand.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dan Knight
United Kingdom
Huddersfield
West Yorkshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
StagCutlery wrote:
Jackalope Stampede was the first major fix against Cheatin' hands once the game progressed to "who can get their five of a kind out first" decks.

Another format was Kansas City; you forfeit if you ever reveal a cheating hand.

Damn you Jackalope Stampede... /waves fist
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.