John Thornby
United Kingdom
University of Warwick
West Midlands
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi everyone,

I'm fairly new to the game and gearing up for my first OP event tomorrow. I'm playing Klingons and don't have all the expansions yet, but I did pick up a couple of bits and pieces on the recommendation of people from the BGG forums. This is my proposed list, please critique:

Klingon Starship (Negh'var class)
+ Flagship + Martok
Drex
Alexander
Advanced Weapon System

IKS Maht-H'a
+ Worf
N'Garen
Advanced Weapon System

Admiral's Order: Strike Force

Should be 100 points. The intention is that I should have two actions per ship, which means I can stay cloaked the whole game and still take other actions. Does this seem reasonable?
Which flagship would you take? I was thinking probably Klingon. Would it be better to have Worf on the Negh'var in order to maximise damage from the high attack value, or would it be too much of a disadvantage acting after the elite captains?

I have 2 x Core; Negh'var and Koraga so far. I have ordered Somraw, but it may not arrive in time for tomorrow. Advice appreciated, thanks!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jon NyD

Denver
Colorado
msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Drex + Alexander are kind of unnecessary, but alexander could work okay for defense rolling. Also keep in mind when you play that the strike force action extra die is only for an uncloaked ship, but that doesn't mean it is any less useful! You could just as easily lose the advanced weapon system on your flagship and use the strike force action to re-cloak if need. At some point you may be uncloaked, and Strike force is still good.

With those two ships, I wouldn't go immediately for the joust (especially if facing a Klingon fleet). Make sure that you make good use of sensor echoes if the opponent has small firing arcs! Range 1-2 for the Klingon flagship is actually pretty far. Don't be afraid to split them up if that will be advantageous!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave Benhart
United States
Minneapolis
Minnesota
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
jonnyd76 wrote:
Drex + Alexander are kind of unnecessary, but alexander could work okay for defense rolling. Also keep in mind when you play that the strike force action is only for an uncloaked ship, but that doesn't mean it is any less useful! You could just as easily lose the advanced weapon system on your flagship and use the strike force action to re-cloak if need.

With those two ships, I wouldn't go immediately for the joust (especially if facing a Klingon fleet). Make sure that you make good use of sensor echoes if the opponent has small firing arcs! Range 1-2 for the Klingon flagship is actually pretty far. Don't be afraid to split them up if that will be advantageous!

Strike Force Action isn't only for an uncloaked ship, just the additional attack or defense die.
Strike Force:
1) Once during each Activation phase, one of your ships may perform one Action on it's Action Bar as a free Action.

I agree that Drex+Alexander is probably overkill. I'm of a mixed mind about Alexander. He sounds good on paper, free anything is always nice, but when I've seen him used his effect has been minimal. I don't know.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Thornby
United Kingdom
University of Warwick
West Midlands
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I thought the free action from Admiral's orders was for any ship. It only says the extra att/def die is for an uncloaked ship - unless there has been an errata I'm unaware of?

I figured that Drex would give me offensive capability (since the Klingons cannot use the battlestation action) while Alexander will allow me to accrue some defensive capability to survive even longer with the flagship. His ability is also passive, so it doesn't cost me an action to put a counter down.

Point taken about the advanced weapon system(s) - I could just use the extra actions to re-cloak rather than re-enable the upgrade. But that would mean that enemies would be capable of getting target locks on me though, and if they act before I get to re-cloak they may have capability to interact with me in some some way - I know some factions can steal crew and such like, but I've not played enough to know what everyone can do.

If I were to drop the AWS, what would you take instead (given the expansions I have)?
Thanks!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave Benhart
United States
Minneapolis
Minnesota
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Keep the AWS. Not getting Target Locked is a Big. Deal. Now, eventually you'll want to drop the cloak and raise shields, but those 2-3 attacks where they can't Lock you is important. It stops all Torpedoes and all those rerolls for other attacks. You don't want to get hit with 8-dice Quantum Torps from an Excelsior.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Thornby
United Kingdom
University of Warwick
West Midlands
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Why will I want to drop the cloak eventually?
Do you mean because the shields will be needed to absorb impact eventually, or will I need the extra action to spend tactically rather than keeping the cloak up?

Thanks

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Thornby
United Kingdom
University of Warwick
West Midlands
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Also, does extra actions mean I can sensor echo multiple times? Or do the actions have to be different?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave Benhart
United States
Minneapolis
Minnesota
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
You'll want the shields to take a few more hits rather than stay cloaked until you die. Yes, defense dice go down, but 4 defense dice is only an average of 1.5 evades per roll.

No, you can't Sensor Echo multiple times in a turn. You an only do any Action once per turn.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alton Todd
United States
Ramona
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Try the basic Klingon Gunslinger build and add your favorite upgrades or resource for 5-15 SP; depending on if you use the AO: United Force.

Just a note: I never plan the AO in my builds but will use them if they are allowed at the event.

The Klingon Gunslinger:

Vor'Cha Class/Negh'Var Class (in your case) 26/28 SP
Gowron 4 SP

Vor'Cha Class 26 SP
Worf 3 SP
Drex 4 SP

Vor'Cha 26SP
Klingon Captain 0 SP
N'Gren 4 SP

Total 93/95 SP

Add upgrades or a resource to give it your own personal twist.

Good Hunting at your OP.thumbsup

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Thornby
United Kingdom
University of Warwick
West Midlands
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
davedujour wrote:

No, you can't Sensor Echo multiple times in a turn. You an only do any Action once per turn.

With Martok and Strike Force I get extra actions, so can I use them to make additional sensor echo moves?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave Benhart
United States
Minneapolis
Minnesota
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
xenakis wrote:
davedujour wrote:

With Martok and Strike Force I get extra actions, so can I use them to make additional sensor echo moves?

No. You can't take the same Action twice in a single turn, no matter how many Actions you get. But you can Cloak and Sensor Echo on the same turn. Or Sensor Echo and Target Lock. You cannot Sensor Echo and Sensor Echo though.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jon NyD

Denver
Colorado
msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Couldn't remember off the top of my head about Strike Force, edited my original post.

AWS is pretty solid though!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.