Subject: What's up with toothpaste? [Poll] rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
¡dn ʇǝƃ ʇ,uɐɔ ı puɐ uǝllɐɟ ǝʌ,ı
Canada
Chestermere
Alberta
flag msg tools
Life lesson: Hamsters are NOT diswasher safe.
badge
There are 10 types of people-- those who understand binary, and those who don't.
mbmbmbmbmb
Toothpaste these days is over the top-- it will freshen your breath, whiten your teeth, polish your teeth, harden your enamel, prevent plaque, discourage tartar, not hurt your gums, add fluoride, improve your marriage, clean your bedroom... oh, wait. Maybe not all of that, just yet.

And there are pastes and gels now, in at least six flavors, often several within the same major brand name. Lesser known brands have ten or twelve flavors available; "peanut butter" and even "whiskey" have been put on the market, in some places.
My favorite brand discontinued my favorite flavor and no longer sells "paste" in the alternate flavor that I can handle, only gel.
I still don't like the faint taste of cinnamon in it, but the others I've tried offend me even more.

I miss the days when there was one flavor and it helped clean your teeth. Fluoride was an exotic extra.
My mother tells me that she and her sisters, growing up, only ever used a homemade paste of baking soda and hydrogen peroxide solution!

Does anyone seriously believe all of this "whiter brighter" teeth hooey? That's right, I said "hooey".
Short of having a dental clinic use a laser to whiten your teeth, I feel that all of the on-the shelf products, from toothpaste up to specialty items devoted to whitening, are a sham.
It is the abrasion of the toothbrush that removes surface stains, so coffee and/ or cigarette smoke stains should be removeable just by regular brushing.

How about an anonymous poll to get some statistical data. Has the marketing worked?

Poll
Do you care about how white your teeth are? How much do you care?
  Yes No N/A (or "other")
I would like to have whiter teeth
I use toothpaste and only toothpaste to keep my teeth clean and "white".
I have tried separate "tooth whitening systems" (strips/ pens/ etc.) at least once before
I continue to use a separate "whitening system"
I think that my teeth did look whiter after the whitening systems were used (over time)
The whitening system that I tried was a waste of time and money
I went to a dental office for professional teeth whitening
Oh, how I wish I still had teeth!
      102 answers
Poll created by MABBY
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Boaty McBoatface
England
County of Essex
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
You left out

Poll
Do you care about how white your teeth are? How much do you care?
I am a smart motorist!
I use American defense.
      15 answers
Poll created by slatersteven
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Larry Levy
United States
Manassas
Virginia
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Best hobby, with the best people in the world. Gaming is the best!
mbmbmbmbmb
I am totally befuddled by this "new" emphasis on uber-white teeth. My wife and I sometimes marvel at the flourescent teeth we see on some performers on TV--to me, it's anything but attractive! If your teeth are stained, then yes, I can see where some whitening would be nice. But for just normal teeth, who cares? If your teeth are bright enough to read by without another source of light, you may be overdoing it!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rudy
United States
No too far from Philly
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
...but this one thing I do, forgetting those things which are behind,
badge
...and reaching forth unto those things which are before,...
mbmbmbmb
I just quit drinking tea, which really stains your teeth. It was normal for me to drink 4-6 glass every day. Especially the way I drink it where I like to swish it around a little. Recently I bought some dentist tools to help remove plaque. I use the little mirror, to look at the back of my teeth, and I noticed they was some brown at the spot where I like to swish my tea. You cannot see this spot when I look into a regular mirror, so it took me by surprise. That's when I decided to give up tea.

Before all this I've been brushing religiously with baking soda and flossing every day. My teeth are slightly yellow and have never gotten whiter. But I really don't care about the color nearly as much as I do cleanliness and health. I have tried some whitening toothpaste and rinses before, but none of them seemed to work.

I bought a whitening kit off Amazon and I plan to use it to make my teeth a few shades whiter. I'm not looking for bleached white, just enough to remove what tea has been doing.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
CHAPEL
United States
Round Rock
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
"that's a smith and wesson, and you've had your six"
mbmbmbmbmb
I don't know. What's up with that!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
shumyum
United States
flag msg tools
badge
♒♒♒♒♎♒♒♒♒ sloooowly sinking
-Whiter teeth
-Cleaner car
-Nicer yard
-Home bar that lights up from below plus a retractable disco ball in the ceiling above it.

These are attainable things that I would like have but are nowhere near worth the effort to get.

That said, even though I'm a skeptical sort, I actually believe the tooth whitening "schemes" DO work, they just aren't worth the time, expense and nasty taste.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joe Gola
United States
Redding
Connecticut
flag msg tools
badge
and everything under the sun is in tune
mbmbmbmbmb
tickmanfan wrote:
I just quit drinking tea, which really stains your teeth.

Quit drinking tea?! Nuts to that! I'll just keep my mouth closed.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rudy
United States
No too far from Philly
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmb
Gola wrote:
Quit drinking tea?! Nuts to that!

Yeah, it's been about a month and the police have already found 7 of the bodies.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Doug Hook
United States
Lansing
Michigan
flag msg tools
designer
"Many that live deserve death. And some that die deserve life. Can you give it to them? Then do not be too eager to deal out death in judgement. For even the very wise cannot see all ends."
badge
"I wish it need not have happened in my time," said Frodo. "So do I," said Gandalf, "and so do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us."
mbmbmbmbmb
Gola wrote:
tickmanfan wrote:
I just quit drinking tea, which really stains your teeth.

Quit drinking tea?! Nuts to that! I'll just keep my mouth closed.

I understand coffee stains teeth also. Someone suggested that if sipped through a straw neither would stain. No way, hefting tea cups and coffee mugs for me!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rudy
United States
No too far from Philly
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmb
chadnorth wrote:
Someone suggested that if sipped through a straw neither would stain.

That's how I drank iced tea. I could see how that would work if the straw went down your throat.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Edwards
United States
Everett
Washington
flag msg tools
YA R'LYAH
badge
Phnglui mglw nafh Cthulhu R'lyeh wgah nagl fhtagn! With cheeze!
mbmbmbmbmb
While I am well aware that corporations and advertisers exaggerate (a.k.a., lie), I am still a fan of scientific advancement. I welcome the modern toothpaste formulations.

However, if I ever have the spare money where whitening my teeth makes it to the top of my spending list, I would go to the dentist to have it done, as that seems to be the most successful method (as well as the one with the most immediate gratification). Also, I went to high school with my dentist (he's the son of my childhood dentist), so as long as I'm going to give $$ to someone, it might as well be someone who can make me flash back to how ostracized I felt in high school!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bat Profile
United States
Sandworms USA
Plateau of Leng
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Listerine is already bourbon flavored
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul DeStefano
United States
Long Island
New York
flag msg tools
designer
badge
It's a Zendrum. www.zendrum.com
mbmbmbmbmb
After my accident, my teeth are pretty much all factory new.

I could get whatever smile I wanted.

They have tons of charts on what shade and coloration you can get.

I stayed away from actual white. They are bizarrely unnatural. I know a guy who has hyper white teeth in his bridge and he looks like a freak.

I selected shade B3 on this chart. When not next to other teeth in a chart, they look very white anyway.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Todd Warnken
United States
Harrison
Ohio
flag msg tools
I'm not crazy. My mother had me tested.
badge
Happy grandfather!!!
mbmbmbmbmb
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J Graning
United States
Chicago
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Altair IV wrote:
Listerine is already bourbon flavored

No that's just bourbon you keep in your bathroom.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
☆ ✧ ☆ ✧ ☆
United States
Minneapolis
Minnesota
flag msg tools
Looking at these stars suddenly dwarfed my own troubles and all the gravities of terrestrial life. I thought of their unfathomable distance, and the slow inevitable drift of their movements out of the unknown past into the unknown future. H.G. Wells
badge
Humankind has not woven the web of life. We are but one thread within it. Whatever we do to the web, we do to ourselves. All things are bound together. All things connect. Chief Seattle
mbmbmbmbmb
The major brand toothpastes are still obsessed with mint.

I recently heard that Crest was introducing two new flavors Lime and Vanilla. And I thought great, we are finally moving beyond mint.

Until I saw an advertisement for them.

Lime Mint and Vanilla Mint.

shake
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Will Moller
United States
Lincoln
Nebraska
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Tooth PASTE?! hA! Try tooth powder, it's the bomb, or just try baking soda, that's basically what toothpaste is, but's it's not bloated with gel and good and make you buy tubes more frequently than milk. I get a single, tiny, tooth powder mix, maybe 6 bucks, lasts me and my wife MONTHS.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Canada
Chestermere
Alberta
flag msg tools
badge
There are 10 types of people-- those who understand binary, and those who don't.
mbmbmbmbmb
I went to visit my dental hygenist one time, and sat in the waiting room for fifteen minutes after my appointment time was due to begin.
When I finally was admitted, I commented to her, "You must be busy today?"
She told me that the guy in the chair before me had his first cleaning in twenty years. He was a smoker and drank coffee. She says that there was brown goo all over his mouth and teeth, and it was all that she could do to not spew her cookies. "The smell!" was another comment. gulp
She told the guy that he'd have to come back for another appointment because she didn't have time to finish (despite going 15 minutes over time).
I was her favorite person in the world for the next hour.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kelley E.
United States
Sacramento
California
flag msg tools
He went that way
badge
I used to have AP. Now I'm not sure.
mbmbmbmbmb
MABBY wrote:
"The smell!" was another comment. gulp

Sounds like the guy probably wasn't a good brusher either. I didn't see a dentist throughout my college years and even a few after I finally got health insurance so it was about 10 years for me but I was always good about brushing. I had a couple of cavities and impacted teeth but at least they were relatively clean.

And now I always brush and rinse even though I'm about to go for a cleaning. I've had conversations with people who needed a mint and I can only imagine what it would be like to get in close and clean their teeth. If it only takes two minutes to make my hygienist's day better then why not? Plus the more I remove the less invasive scraping she does. As a result I think that I'm one of her favorite patients. She always seems genuinely happy to see me.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Canada
Chestermere
Alberta
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Canada
Chestermere
Alberta
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Lewis
United States
Thornton
Colorado
flag msg tools
NFHS Football & Basketball
badge
Dread Our Coming, Suffer Our Presence, Embrace Our Glory (Solonavi War Cry)
mbmbmbmbmb
frumpish wrote:
The major brand toothpastes are still obsessed with mint.

I recently heard that Crest was introducing two new flavors Lime and Vanilla. And I thought great, we are finally moving beyond mint.

Until I saw an advertisement for them.

Lime Mint and Vanilla Mint.

shake

I've always wondered the same thing about furniture polish and cleaners and the obsession with either lemon or pine scents
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Montana
flag msg tools
I did a round of bleach tooth whitening after I had my braces taken out around 5 years ago. My teeth have been crazy-white ever since. 'Course, I floss a couple times a week and brush twice a day. I'm kinda OCD about my teeth and general oral hygiene. One of my few redeeming physical features is my straight, white teeth, and I intend to keep 'em that way.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.