BoardGameGeek» Forums » Gaming Related » General Gaming

Subject: Best Gangster Themed TableTopGame you Played? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Joey de Bock
Netherlands
flag msg tools
Hi Peoplez,

I like to know which is the best Gangster Themed Table Top Game you ever played? And if possible provide information Why you like it that much

Family Business is the only game I came across and thats a CardGame

Any others?

Greetzz

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott M.
United States
Winter Springs
Florida
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Bootlegers
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joey de Bock
Netherlands
flag msg tools
Thanks! Lets read reviews and might add to collection

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stephen Eckman
United States
Oviedo
Florida
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Nothing Personal
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joey de Bock
Netherlands
flag msg tools
Nice!

I will look into this one as well

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Geki
United States
Providence
Rhode Island
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
steckman wrote:

Nothing Personal is an extremely well designed game and a quality one as well. However, I want to be sure the OP is aware of the kind of game it is.

The game is ALL about the players. The mechanics are interesting but disappear behind the "all is allowed" nature of the trading, menacing and dealing between the players.

I, for one, enjoyed my play of it but I ended up not buying it. However, if you like laughing and getting mad (mockingly and in game, to be clear) at other players, and betray your closest ally at the right moment, look no further.

The art is great (cartoonish but still very good) and the components are stellar.

Best

Geki
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joey de Bock
Netherlands
flag msg tools
Thanks for your time to share this Geki

Im currently developing a Gangster Themed Game and looking for what people search for in those kinda games

Of course that theme will give some BackStabbing in the game thats obviously an element!

Like Dust or Twilight Imperium short alliances are setup but breached in an instant

Game I am working on aims for the mechanics are more based on building the environment and developing the characters (RPG). With some dose of politics of course because thats the fun of the game not sit and build without much interaction.

I think thats fun if one can handle the frustration sometimes comes with it laugh

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Garcia
United States
Harlingen
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Family Business is FANTASTIC. I love this game, and they use the names of former real life gangsters. It's simple, quick, and loads of fun you can't go wrong.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stephen Eckman
United States
Oviedo
Florida
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I did a quick GeekList search and found this one you might want to check out: Sleepin wit da Fishes: My Top 10 Syndicate Crime games

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joey de Bock
Netherlands
flag msg tools
Superb! Thanks Steckman

I am new to BGG so this list you found for me will be very helpful for me cool

Greetzz

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gary Heidenreich
United States
Milwaukee
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
designer
MilwaukeeTEG
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I am a HUGE fan of Mystery Rummy: Al Capone and the Chicago Underworld. My favorite of the excellent Mystery Rummy family. The game play is great but really the theme for me takes it to the next level.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Ladson
South Carolina
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Nothing Personal is they only one I've played. It's quite good, but you MUST have players into negotiating and banter.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Shawn
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The most recent game I can remember having a gangster theme is Lemming Mafia. I played it once and thought it was a nice and light filler game. It's not too heavy on theme really; more of a race to the finish with a funny mafia theme added.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Ramsey
Canada
North Delta
British Columbia
flag msg tools
badge
Screws fall out all the time. The world is an imperfect place.
mbmbmbmbmb
Nostra City

In this game, players are collectively part of a crime syndicate and are ultimately trying to bribe a jury and get the Godfather freed. If successful, the player with the highest honor/prestige points wins. Along the way you have to run your own rackets to keep the money flowing. It is so much fun and includes two of my favourite game mechanics:

- Auction (handled really well in this game. You can only do as many actions as you have wise guys, so you can't bid on every card that comes up for auction. Then it's a blind bid, where you pay up even if you lose the bid. Love it!)

- Traitor (when you draw a Vendetta card (usually due to being double-crossed) there are lot of possible effects, but you might become an FBI informant. In this case, at the end of the game if the players haven't collectively been able to bribe the jury and therefore free the Godfather, the informant reveals himself and wins the game!)

I love this game!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Curt Carpenter
United States
Kirkland
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Razzia!

Unlike games that are just funny haha, or are just people whacking each other (e.g. Family Business), Razzia is actually a good game. It's Ra minus the catastrophes.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Perry
United States
Spring Hill
Tennessee
flag msg tools
badge
Ex-Term-In-Ate
mbmbmbmbmb
Cash & Guns for a light game.

Mob Ties for the heavier game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ken Waters
United States
Aloha to
Oregon
flag msg tools
badge
The gangster game I've enjoyed the most is The Roaring 20's, especially trying to evade the police on the city map to make it safely to your hideout (which changes every turn). I also like how the role of the police rotates each turn. I've also enjoyed Blood Feud in New York though it is more wargamish.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Geki
United States
Providence
Rhode Island
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
UnderworldZZ wrote:
Thanks for your time to share this Geki

Im currently developing a Gangster Themed Game and looking for what people search for in those kinda games

Of course that theme will give some BackStabbing in the game thats obviously an element!

Like Dust or Twilight Imperium short alliances are setup but breached in an instant

Game I am working on aims for the mechanics are more based on building the environment and developing the characters (RPG). With some dose of politics of course because thats the fun of the game not sit and build without much interaction.

I think thats fun if one can handle the frustration sometimes comes with it laugh

If you're planning to integrate the families/famiglie's "honour", you should have a look at Rex: Final Days of an Empire, which while a very different game has a very interesting take on Alliances (obviously reprised from predecessor Dune.

Geki

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bill Eldard
United States
Burke
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
D-Rider wrote:
I've also enjoyed Blood Feud in New York though it is more wargamish.

I haven't played many gangster-themed games, but Blood Feud in New York is my favorite. It's sort of like Axis & Allies with a gangster theme. The mapboard of NYC is beautiful.

Players defend their 'territory' while putting hits on their competitors.

There are bosses, hitmen, thugs, etc.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joey de Bock
Netherlands
flag msg tools
Great Eldard to show me this game, thanks
Map looks very good indeed,
And those acton figures look great as well!

About 2 years ago when first 'advanced' thoughts about this game
The City on the moodboard looked almost like that board of Blood Feud in New York and indeed looks amazing!
Some sort of Axis and Allies or Dust like game i guess

Currently we are going for a City build from hexagons! Art will follow later but will be a City with areas of interest
Hopefully it will stay this way during all the playtesting and wont change its form again (went from Dust like map to square map)

The game we are going for has some property building for income and character building. One wants to protect their turf but not with gangster figures (yet) but with ProtectionCards for on their Properties. In this Game the Gangster Character does most of the dirty work cool

Because game focus is mainly on Character Development with RPG attributes we dont want it to be a wargame with actionfigures. But you never know playtesting might prove different and we integrate those ProtectionCards into actionfigures that go on the board laugh
and adjust mechanics for turf and property protection as well

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lance
United States
Moorhead
Minnesota
flag msg tools
The coolest best thing I have ever done in my life is being a father
badge
The Dread Pirate Caleb!! (age 2)
mbmbmbmbmb
No one mentioned Mob Ties: The Board Game, probably the bloodiest (in body count and game art) of the genre. Pretty fun too, plus my daughter has a street on the gameboard named after her.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dustin Crenshaw
United States
Shepherdsville
Kentucky
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Nothing Personal

Not only the best gangster themed game I've played. But one of the best games I've played period. We always have a great time when it hits the table.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Heath Doerr
United States
Farmington Hills
Michigan
flag msg tools
Origins 2018 Jun 13th - 17th
badge
Unplayed Countdown: 3 left to play
mbmbmbmbmb
Don't forget Der Pate, or "The Godfather" in English.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tony W
United States
Long Beach, CA
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Thuglife the board game. Play it so you don't have to live it.
https://m.facebook.com/ThuglifeTheGame?id=134553000018794&re...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jerry
United States
Graham
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I've only played one gangster game and it was many years ago but I liked it.

Gangland!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.