Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Robert Leonhard
United States
West Virginia
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Just finished a game of 1796 Italy. I decided to send three brigades against Turin and the rest of the Army of Italy against the Piedmontese at Savona.

It turned out that Turin had an extra garrison. Augereau exerted himself but failed to take the city. Yikes! I force-marched Napoleon and Stengel to retrieve the failure there and managed to capture the city. Desperately rebuilt Augereau and hoped that my army at Savona could withstand any action from the Austrians.

Well, the enemy attacked with a very strong force, leaving a sizable defense force in Genoa. Here's where I erred. I should have retreated the Army of Italy to Turin. There was no reason to hold at Savona. Instead, I fought and got slaughtered.

Unflappable, I decided to press on. Napoleon advanced with the few brigades he had left to Milan, leaving wounded Garnier to hold Turin.

Before the battle at Milan, the enemy raided Turin, destroying Garnier and ending the campaign in defeat!

I had really bad luck, but I attribute my defeat to my bad decision to fight at Savona. I think that Napoleon's campaigns teach us that we sometimes have to retreat to maintain our strength.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Moe45673
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Great writeup! This should have gone into Sessions, though

Btw, if you think 1796 is difficult.... perhaps you should pretend Egypt doesn't exist
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert Leonhard
United States
West Virginia
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
I've played and lost Egypt many times.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Erik
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Nice read, thanks for sharing!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.