Firefly: The Game» Forums » Variants

Subject: New Job types? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Mike Dawson
Canada
flag msg tools
mb
GWEK and I have been batting an idea around for a different type of job and contacts that would give different perks to a player. The job type is called "Collecting". These jobs will allow you to collect: Reaver scalps, Slaves, Juicy Rumors, Recruits, Survey Data, and Scavenged Tech. Reaver scalps, Juicy rumors and Survey data will not take up space. We will also need to create cards and tokens for this idea to work. Here is what we have done up so far. Please give us feedback.

Collection types
Fight 1: Reaver scalps. Location: any planet within 1 space of the reaver cutter.
Fight 1-4 Lose 2 crew
Fight 5-6 Lose 1 crew, gain 1 scalp
Fight 7-9 gain 2 scalps
Fight 10+ gain 3 scalps
Fight 2: Slaves. Location: ?
Fight 1-4 Lose 1 crew and gain 1 warrant
Fight 5-6 Gain 1 slave and 1 warrant
Fight 7-9 Gain 1 warrant and 2 slaves
Fight 10+ Gain 3 slaves
Negotiate 1: Juicy rumors. Location: Any Contacts planet. +1 if you have a companion
Negotiate 1-4 Lose solid with 1 contact and lose $300
Negotiate 5-6 Gain 1 juicy rumor and lose $200
Negotiate 7-9 Gain 2 juicy rumors and lose $100
Negotiate 10+ Gain 3 juicy rumors and lose $100
Negotiate 2: Recruits. Location: Any supply planet. +1 if you have a grifter.
Negotiate 1-4 Lose this and next action
Negotiate 5-6 Gain 1 recruit
Negotiate 7-9 Gain 2 recruits
Negotiate 10+ Gain 3 recruits
Tech 1: Survey data. Location: Border space with no planets at least 2 spaces from a supply planet. +1 if you have a pilot
Tech 1-4 Lose 1 fuel
Tech 5-6 Gain 1 Survey data and lose 1 fuel
Tech 7-9 Gain 2 Survey data
Tech 10+ Gain 3 Survey data
Tech 2: Scavenged Tech. Location: Spaces adjacent to inner core planets. +1 if you have a mechanic
Tech 1-4 Gain warrant
Tech 5-6 Gain 1 scavenged tech
Tech 7-9 Gain 2 scavenged tech
Tech 10+ Gain 3 scavenged tech

Buying contacts
Mr. Universe: Will buy 3 Juicy rumors or Survey data for $200 each in trade for one token that allows you to look at the top card of any deck and either place it back, discard it, or put it on the bottom of the deck.
Governor Tourant (Border governor under attack from reavers): Will buy 3 Scavenged Tech or Recruits for $300 each that also gives you a token that when spent can move the reaver cutter to any space on the board.
Kendra DeMontford (Wealthy Socialite): Will buy 3 Juicy rumors or Slaves for $200/$300 each that also gives you a token that when spent will allow you to reroll a negotiate roll. Selling her slaves will disgruntle all moral crew.
Colonel Jenkins (Alliance intel officer): Will buy 3 reaver scalps or Survey Data for $200 each that also gives you a token that when spent will allow you to reroll a fight roll.
Bot Doctor: Will buy 3 Scavenged Tech’s for $300 each that also gives you a token that when spent will allow you to reroll a tech roll.
Slaver: Will buy: Slaves, Recruits, Fugitives, Passengers, Crew for $400 each. You will also disgruntle all moral crew and lose any solid with Amun Dull. Gain a +1 to find the Black Market
Sadhu Ali Shankara (Religious fanatic having a Jihad vs the reavers): Will buy 3 Reaver Scalps or Recruits for $200/$300 each that gives you a token that can disgruntle any 1 crew (not captain) within 1 sector.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
C David Dent
United States
Maryland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Interesting idea. What is the mechanic for doing a "collection" job?

Is it a deck like the current Jobs decks? I go to a specific location, draw 3; keep up to 2; and then the rest go in a discard pile? Are they sorted into the normal 5 jobs decks?

Or is it a card I can just take as an "active" job from any contact (supply?) world (it fills one of my 3 slots) until I "cash it out" with a contact at a particular place.

It looks like the "collection jobs" themselves are sort of location agnostic as long as you meet the general location criteria.

May I suggest for your "Fight 2" job a location of any "non-supply, non-contact world" My rationale for this is that on Border worlds its a lot of settlers that nobody will miss. On Alliance worlds it is either people from poor urban areas ("Blackout Zones") or folks the Alliance wants to get rid of. However on Supply and Contact worlds those people have more value to the folks running the place.

Also for clarity you might name them "Fight A, Fight B, Tech A, Tech B, etc..)

Do I lose scalps, data or rumors if I am boarded by the Alliance?
Do I lose them to Reavers?
I suppose Slaves and recruits are treated the same as Passengers/Fugitives.

Tokens...
For Slaves you can use disgruntled tokens in your hold.
Rumors and Scalps could be Part and Fuel tokens stored NOT in your hold (perhaps on the job).
Recruits? I dunno. Stack a Passenger and a part in the same space?

Buying Contacts:
What if they aren't in a fixed location? What if each time they buy a collection they move according to some sort of preset rule?
For Example: A card for the buyer that is placed next to the board with a round token (you could modify a Warrant token for this) that has 3 or 4 different worlds named on it.
The card has a pointer that indicates the current world the buyer is located at. And once they buy you turn the token clockwise to the next world.

That way your jobs could indicate a collection (X Scalps, Y rumors, and N Slaves) and a buyer with a net price for the lot (and bonus if applicable)..In other words more like the current job format.

You could then keep the "collection" job to be your "perk bonus" such as disgruntling other players or whatever

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Harleigh Dhai
Canada
flag msg tools
MrDave2176 wrote:
Interesting idea. What is the mechanic for doing a "collection" job?
*** I really should fully describe things before hand...... The mechanic is that you land on the location, roll according to the chart to see if you collect whatever it is you are going for, put the item in your ship and carry on. Collecting takes an action.

Is it a deck like the current Jobs decks? I go to a specific location, draw 3; keep up to 2; and then the rest go in a discard pile? Are they sorted into the normal 5 jobs decks?

Or is it a card I can just take as an "active" job from any contact (supply?) world (it fills one of my 3 slots) until I "cash it out" with a contact at a particular place.
*** Collecting works as an open ended job for anyone. Every player may follow the reavers and collect scalps if they wish.

It looks like the "collection jobs" themselves are sort of location agnostic as long as you meet the general location criteria.
*** Yes

May I suggest for your "Fight 2" job a location of any "non-supply, non-contact world" My rationale for this is that on Border worlds its a lot of settlers that nobody will miss. On Alliance worlds it is either people from poor urban areas ("Blackout Zones") or folks the Alliance wants to get rid of. However on Supply and Contact worlds those people have more value to the folks running the place.
*** Good call.

Also for clarity you might name them "Fight A, Fight B, Tech A, Tech B, etc..)
*** Also a good idea

*** You would not lose scalps, data or rumors to either the Reavers or the Alliance, and as slaves are legal you would not lose them either.

Tokens...
For Slaves you can use disgruntled tokens in your hold.
Rumors and Scalps could be Part and Fuel tokens stored NOT in your hold (perhaps on the job).
Recruits? I dunno. Stack a Passenger and a part in the same space?
*** I was thinking of a generic card for each of the non cargo items and some sort of printed out token for the others (though I would use figures, I am a bit of a nutter that way)

Buying Contacts:
What if they aren't in a fixed location? What if each time they buy a collection they move according to some sort of preset rule?
For Example: A card for the buyer that is placed next to the board with a round token (you could modify a Warrant token for this) that has 3 or 4 different worlds named on it.
The card has a pointer that indicates the current world the buyer is located at. And once they buy you turn the token clockwise to the next world.
*** Very interesting take on this, I will have to play around with that to see how it works. Until then, do you have any ideas of which planets to put them on?

That way your jobs could indicate a collection (X Scalps, Y rumors, and N Slaves) and a buyer with a net price for the lot (and bonus if applicable)..In other words more like the current job format.

You could then keep the "collection" job to be your "perk bonus" such as disgruntling other players or whatever

*** As a side note, these were thought up to work with GWEK's Black market concept and any roll of 1 being an auto fail. This would make the reroll tokens much more valuable. Thank you for the feedback

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
George Krubski
msg tools
mbmbmbmb
This idea is HD's baby, but we've been bouncing it back and forth for a while. We thought it was baked enough at this point that input from other people would be welcome.

I think the original idea was that Collecting Jobs would be another type of job for Contacts, like Smuggling, Shipping, Crime, and Transport. The non-Crime Jobs are already so brutally divided, though, that we started talking about other angles.

Calling these "Jobs" may be a little misleading, since, as HD points out, Collecting is open-ended and repeatable. I view it sort of as an alternate activity that exists almost as a variant of make-work. You can Collect SOMETHING on virtually any planet, but unlike make-work, there's no immediate pay-off. So, you sort of have the choice of "Do I want to make a small amount of money right now?" versus "Do I want to gamble that I can get a bigger payoff somewhere down the line?"

With respect to the Contacts, I sort of think of them as a different kind of animal than the five in the core game. I think of them as "Collector Contacts" versus "Job Contacts." Heck, maybe they shouldn't even be called Contacts at all. I like the idea that there are a lot of them, to offer variety, but I was concerned about the idea of having to track being Solid with almost a dozen people, so I really like the idea of each transaction being independent.

One of the things I got really excited about when looking at HD's concepts was the flexibility and choice that something like that offers. Story requirements aside, I think it would be entirely possible to play -- and win -- a game without working a single Job. Because each resource can be peddled to multiple Collectors, each offering a unique payoff, you have further choice in how you want to play your game and advance your Captain's career.

Anyway, I've prattled on for a bit. I'm really excited about HD's concepts and hope that you guys are, too! I've gotten to contribute my own take on things, and I'm looking forward to seeing how it evolves further with additional community input.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jon Snow
United States
New York City
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
arrrh Good draft idea, Mike! My questions and remarks are pretty basic, since I haven't seen this before:

1. I take it that the concept would be to create story cards around these jobs, or some of them, that give Goals for some of these actions?

2. What is the difference between a Recruit and a Slave? Are they just Passengers and Fugitives loaded? Can you arbitrarily sell them as either at any time?

3. Its hard to imagine a Captain insane enough to actually go hunting for "Reaver Scalps" without an armed ship, although it makes sense as a game mechanism. Perhaps light ship weapons could become a new type of Equipment, although the Alliance would severely limit what could be mounted on a civilian ship so soon after the war. When traveling within The Halo, you'd probably have to consider any such as dismounted (unuseable) cargo, or have it seized and gain a Warrant if caught by the Cruiser! Of course, if you had to use one, there might not be much scalp material left to show for your troubles!!!

4. If you want comments, don't give your readers eyestrain. Please use some Spacing, Capitalization, underlining, Italics and Boldface in such a long list to make it easier to read. PLEASE!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
George Krubski
msg tools
mbmbmbmb
chas59 wrote:
arrrh Good draft idea, Mike! My questions and remarks are pretty basic, since I haven't seen this before:

1. I take it that the concept would be to create story cards around these jobs, or some of them, that give Goals for some of these actions?

I can't fully speak for Mike, but when we were discussing it offline, I don't think the idea of Story Cards came up (although I could see it).

This is really an alternate revenue stream, and a variation on how traditional jobs work, although I can also see it working with traditional Jobs, too. Maybe you get a Collection Job from Badger to get collect Survey Data and while you're there, you get some extra to trade to Mister Univere...
Quote:

3. Its hard to imagine a Captain insane enough to actually go hunting for "Reaver Scalps" without an armed ship, although it makes sense as a game mechanism. Perhaps light ship weapons could become a new type of Equipment, although the Alliance would severely limit what could be mounted on a civilian ship so soon after the war. When traveling within The Halo, you'd probably have to consider any such as dismounted (unuseable) cargo, or have it seized and gain a Warrant if caught by the Cruiser! Of course, if you had to use one, there might not be much scalp material left to show for your troubles!!!

One of the things that Mike has experimented with in his New Gear thread is "Wanted" Gear that risks being confiscated by the Alliance. This seems like a perfect candidate for that idea.

Quote:
4. If you want comments, don't give your readers eyestrain. Please use some Spacing, Capitalization, underlining, Italics and Boldface in such a long list to make it easier to read. PLEASE!

Yeah, the Word doc was much easier to read...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
C David Dent
United States
Maryland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
MrDave2176 wrote:

Harleigh 13 wrote:
You would not lose scalps, data or rumors to either the Reavers or the Alliance, and as slaves are legal you would not lose them either.

I'd have Scalps be confiscated on any Alliance Contact where your stash gets raided.

I'd have Recruits & Slaves get eaten by Reavers (just like passengers and fugitives)

Scavenged Tech, Rumors, and Survey Data all seem immune from loss (like parts and fuel). Although it seems to me there should be some sort of expiration or way to lose them. Navigation card, perhaps? A Solar flare destroys Rumors, Salvage Tech and Data?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.