Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ryan Cass
United States
Illinois
flag msg tools
I have never used Homing Missiles so with Homing, you don't have to spend your target lock on the attack correct, you can spend the target lock to do rerolls? correct?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Wilder

Daly City
California
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Concussion Missiles and Homing Missiles are all but even in expected damage if the Concussion Missiles are fired with TL+F. Homing Missiles have a negligible edge; like a tenth of a point or something.

Homing Missiles are superior if fired with only TL (or F, with Deadeye). And, of course, Homing Missiles also ignore Evade tokens. It doesn't come up much, but even experienced players sometimes forget that.

In exchange, Homing Missiles are a point more expensive. So if you want to spend only 4 points, Concussion Missiles are infinitely better.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bryce K. Nielsen
United States
Elk Ridge
Utah
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
ryantfc175 wrote:
I have never used Homing Missiles so with Homing, you don't have to spend your target lock on the attack correct, you can spend the target lock to do rerolls? correct?

Correct. And Concussion Missiles changes one blank into a hit (similar to Proton Torpedoes, though those change it to a crit). So it depends on your luck, on whether or not you are Focused, and on your build. Homing missiles are fantastic for the immediate FIRE!, while Concussion Missiles tend to be more "fire when focused!". Also, Concussions are 1 pt cheaper, so that has an effect on your build.

-shnar
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Dunford
Canada
Kemptville
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
If your ship is likely to fire with both TL + Focus (e.g. Darth Vader or a pilot with Push the Limit), then Concussion is just as good and a point cheaper. If not, then Homing Missiles is likely a better choice, as it's pretty good even with just Target Lock.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Grant Wilkins
United States
Minnesota
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
So would it be fair to say Homing Missiles on low PS (no access to PTL) Bombers without the support of Jonus or Z-95s would have the edge over Concussion Missiles?

I suppose the ignore Evade tokens could become useful with a meta shift too with Tie Interceptors and A-Wings getting a boost in the Aces expansions and also E-Wings on the way.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Dunford
Canada
Kemptville
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
post_apocalypse wrote:
So would it be fair to say Homing Missiles on low PS (no access to PTL) Bombers without the support of Jonus or Z-95s would have the edge over Concussion Missiles?

I suppose the ignore Evade tokens could become useful with a meta shift too with Tie Interceptors and A-Wings getting a boost in the Aces expansions and also E-Wings on the way.

Yes.

Probably.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Throknor
United States
Pittsburgh
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Well, there's a lot of talk in football circles about cutting down on concussions, but in baseball they are trying to get home. So I guess it depends on if you prefer football or baseball.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ron D
United States
Davis
California
flag msg tools
Mercury is my dog's name.
badge
I like hats.
mbmbmbmbmb
With the current meta being so heavy on Agility 1, why not look more closely at Cluster Missiles? When up aagainst B-Wings or YT-1300s, I'll take Clusters over Concussions or Homings every time.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Johnson
Australia
SOUTH PERTH
WA
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I did a spreadsheet for this - can post if people are interested.
Hopefully it is correct!

Expected damage with focus
Concussion Missile: 3.68
Homing Missile: 3.75

Expected damage, no focus
Concussion Missile: 2.94 2.68 (see post below)
Homing Missile: 3

So unless you have a spare point, or you are expecting evade tokens, I don't think the slight increase in damage makes it worth taking homing.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert M.
United States
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmb
Dr Lucky wrote:
With the current meta being so heavy on Agility 1, why not look more closely at Cluster Missiles? When up aagainst B-Wings or YT-1300s, I'll take Clusters over Concussions or Homings every time.

Cluster Missiles are actually even more stringent in their requirements for effective use than Concussion or Homing. If you have a buff that applies to both Cluster attacks (like Marksmanship, or a reroll from Krassis or Jonus), they're one of the more effective missile choices. But otherwise, they're only worth using if you can stack Target Lock + Focus and you're shooting against a target with 1 Agility.

Basically (as someone said upthread): if you can stack actions, think Concussion, and if you can't then think Homing. Don't run Clusters unless you really know what you're doing.

Isolater wrote:
Hopefully it is correct!

Yes, all of those values are correct.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Johnson
Australia
SOUTH PERTH
WA
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Vorpal Sword wrote:
Isolater wrote:
Hopefully it is correct!

Yes, all of those values are correct.

Actually they are not - just realised a mistake i made.
When firing concussions without focus, if all your miss results are focus, you won't be able to change one to a hit. I didn't account for this.

So expected damage when firing concussions without focus would be slightly lower.
Quick recalculation gives me 2.68.

So like everyone else was saying, concussions are better when you can stack TL + Focus.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ryan Cass
United States
Illinois
flag msg tools
Here is the build I am working with and having trouble deciding what missiles to take

OGP-21
Advanced Sensors-3
Heavy Laser Cannon-7
Engine Upgrade-4

X2

Jonus-22
Push the Limit-3
Missle?????

I have 5 points left over for a missile. In my area as with most, the Bwing is really popular and I have a feeling I will be seeing quite a few of them. The idea with this build is to move up slowly and get range 3 cannon hits and the missile/proton off to kill one and severely damage another in one round.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Wilder

Daly City
California
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
ryantfc175 wrote:

Jonus-22
Push the Limit-3
Missle?????

Between Homing and Concussion, Concussion is the choice here, IMO.

But, honestly, this is the rare case where I'd do Cluster Missiles (if you really do expect to see lots of AGI-1 ships), with a slight rebuild:

Jonus + Squad Leader + ClusterM + Seismic

You're basically giving your opponent every possible reason to fear Jonus closing into shorter range with you, and if they shoot at Jonus, your Lambdas are going to eat them alive.

Squad Leader is awesome for making a seemingly out-of-position engine-Lambda suddenly show up on the enemy's scope like Space Jaws. (Or for helping it turn around while still grabbing a F or TL.) Jonus just doesn't have enough going for him to waste PTL on him.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ron D
United States
Davis
California
flag msg tools
Mercury is my dog's name.
badge
I like hats.
mbmbmbmbmb
Jeff Wilder wrote:
Squad Leader is awesome for making a seemingly out-of-position engine-Lambda suddenly show up on the enemy's scope like Space Jaws. (Or for helping it turn around while still grabbing a F or TL.) Jonus just doesn't have enough going for him to waste PTL on him.

Thumb for Space Jaws... and good advice, but mostly Space Jaws.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ryan Cass
United States
Illinois
flag msg tools
Jeff, thanks for the advice, I really like that idea!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.