Myth» Forums » Sessions

Subject: Get Tactical!! rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Tony Pecorelli
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
(Note: The below is to the best of my recollection. For the most part everything happened as described, but some of it might be a little off.)

I was able to get in my first session last night with some of my gaming group. When everyone arrived I had them read the section of the rule book on the class they chose and then went over the character board and the anatomy of a card. I was the Acolyte, and my friends were the Brigand and Archer. I then talked about minions and set us up on a 4x6 with 3 minions and had us play a Hero Cycle just to get a feel for how the game flows and combat works. Then I told them about each tile size, how they could be combined, and what the legends on the tiles mean.

Then we dove in. (I'm sure we did a few things wrong, but they were mostly card decisions and were mostly to do with the Brigand deck. But even these were few and far between.)

So I set up a 6X6 tile. We decided to start in the one that looks like a tavern. I looked at the legend and said Chapter Quest or Trap? The consensus was a quest. So I drew the card and it was "Get Tactical" or something like that. Basically, Father wanted us to train some villagers. We had to set up 3 fighter tokens on the tile and survive 5 waves of Slaughterfield. "Great" I thought. We're on a 6x6 and we have to do SL which is what I had to do when I played solo and got "A Desperate Act". Anyway, I invoked "Free form" veto and swapped the tile with a 12x12. I know the rules say I could have kept setting up the 6x6 and we could have moved on to the 12x12, but this seemed better for what we wanted to do.

So we set up the 3 fighter tokens. They have 5 vitality and would kill an adjacent minion during the refresh phase. This turned out to be good and bad. We'd soon find out our combination of adventurers was a little light on the AoE department and we had a hard time popping treasure at first because we either didn't have a card that could kill 3 or the fighters would kill a minion when we did taking the group down from 3 to 2. But with 5 waves of baddies we didn't have trouble popping all 6 treasures by wave 3.

Wave 1 (3 minions of 1 type on each side)
So we had 9 melee crawlers and 3 ranged crawlers. 3 to each side w/ the 3 ranged on the far side from us. I was able to take out two melee on my first go. The Brigand wiffed but the Archer finished off the last melee crawler on our side. Then the Brigand ran over to another group. The Darkness activated. I drew a Darkness card and started reading the event. That's when I remembered reading you don't draw darkness cards during SL. I put it back on the deck and we moved on. 3 melee crawlers went after the Brigand, the ranged went after one of the fighters and the other 3 went after one of the fighters. Minor injuries to one fighter. Next the Brigand suicide runs through the 3 melee crawlers next to him and takes them out popping our first treasure. He pulls a Green treasure and top decks the Dagger. Perfect! Now he has a recipe that allows him to stay in Shadows when Guile is rolled, which with 4 or 5 fate dice he was basically in shadows the rest of the night.

Meanwhile the Archer takes out a few with Orion's Tears. I hit one of the ranged crawlers with the Consuming Fire spell. Eventually the Brigand finishes off the last 2 ranged and the Archer kills the last melee. We beat the 4 HC timer and the next wave will spawn at the beginning of the next HC. I think the Darkness activated twice (Yay, Feet of the Saints! I'm sure a few times we accidentally allowed a free move here and there, but we got this one right later on.) and we had 1 full HC left on the wave timer.

Note: For whatever reason I would remember to move the wave timer but occasionally forget the AP for the minion type in the first and second wave. I usually caught it the next time I moved the AP meter, but I think I forgot a couple times. The Darkness probably should have activated at minimum 1 more time than it did. I don't think it would have mattered.

Wave 2 (4 minions of 1 type on each side)
We decided to make the groups more interesting this time. 3 melee crawlers and 1 ranged crawler on 3 sides. The 4th side had all ranged. This wave is a little foggy in my memory. This is the wave where the fighters took some damage. We weren't spaced properly and when the Darkness activated the first time they went right for the Fighters. Each one took damage, but they helped us out by each killing off a crawler at the end of the first Refresh Phase. The Brigand was closest to the group of Ranged Crawlers so he went for them. He was able to combo shadows, Shadows Reach, and Dark Reaver to take out 3 crawlers. Unfortunately these are separate attacks (as far as I can tell) and it didn't pop us a treasure. I took out 2 melee crawlers next to a Fighter with Pray and Last Rites. The Archer wasn't able to do to much but pick off guys one at a time. He stayed in the middle most of the time picking off guys with Kharon's Payment and Through a Needle's Eye. He kept one of the Fighters safe. The 3rd figher was on his own for a while and he took damage. I know at some point I healed up two of the Fighters using Attend the Weak and Soothe Wounds. I figured this was legal since both cards reference a Target. It was then I wondered if the Fighters should be getting poisoned. I made an executive decision and said no. The reason being was the Brigand's Blood Letting card and my Blood of the Overcomer card. Both Target heros. If the Fighters were poisoned we had no way to clear the status. This may have been the intention, but I erred on the side of fun.

The Archer then used Fool's Errand to distract a couple crawlers to help out our AP meter and get a couple of the crawlers off the Fighter weren't close enough to protect. This gave the Brigand time to finish off the last of the ranged crawlers he was engaged with and move over to intercept an attacks from a melee and ranged crawler that was harrassing the unprotected Fighter. I used Guardian Angel to protect that Fighter. (Okay maybe he wasn't that unprotected) I then moved up and finished off the last ranged crawler on my side with Smite. The Archer Tumbled over to kill the last melee crawler near his Fighter. Then the Brigand pulled off a pretty cool double Hustle, Suicide Run combo to finish off the stragglers. The power of being able to run through non-adjacent minions with 6 MP was sweet. It popped a treasure for us. Green! The Bracers of Will which extends the range of Relic and Focus spells. "Hey! Toss that across the tile to me!" It took us until the end of the 4th wave to meet up and trade that gear. As things started to get hectic.

All 5 fighters still had decent health at this point. We finished before the wave timer was up. Oh, but the Captains are coming!

Wave 3 (1 Captain of each type on each side.)
This is when we thought we would shine. Most of our abilities were single target and did massive damage. Even though this is true and we made pretty quick work of this wave, we still took a lot of damage.

The Darkness Meter was at 4 or 5 at the beginning of this wave. (Which brings me to a point. When a wave is cleared, from what we could tell, our Threat does not reset, nor does the AP meter. At least, that's how we played it. It was also at this point that my threat started getting out of control.) So the Brigand goes first and deals two damage to the Captain that spawned right next to him. This activated the Darkness. We then went back and retroactively did his Courage check, which passed. Oops. Anyway, 1 Captain advanced on me, 1 Captain attacked the Brigand. And the other two moved up and attacked Fighters. This was about to get hairy. And it did. The Captain that attacked the Brigand got one hit on him. Phew, no poison. Then they rolled for the attacks on me. Doh! Two hits, auto-poisoned. I was down to 4 vitality. It was then we remembered that the Brigand was still in shadows. So we retroactively rolled to notice the Brigand and I rolled a 0, so yes, he noticed him. The Captains that attacked the Fighters got 1 or 2 hits each. I think now our Fighters were at 5, 3, and 2 HP respectively. The one I was near was at 5. The Darkness being done, we then pass and start a new HC. This is when we pulled off some magic. I moved to get in range of the Archer and casted Righteous Fury. This gave both he and I +1 damage to our Attack Actions. He then pulls out Orion's Tears with 4 arrows in his Quiver assigning 2 to each Captain that are beating on the Fighters. Dice are rolled and SUCCESS! he took out both captains in one move. Popped 2 treasures and got 6 threat. It was totally worth it. It was HUGE! I wanted to use Consuming Fire for 2 initial damage on the Stalker next to me but this would have activated the darkness. So I relented.

Next HC, I was able to get a 3 Faith Consuming Fire on the Stalker next to me, but this activated the Darkness. I had to pass a Courage check to do it since I was still in range of the fear aura. It worked and a 3 HC DoT was put on my Stalker. I tried to hit him with a Smite as well so he'd die during Refresh, but failed my Courage check. My Threat was at 7 at this point and I had no more empty spaces. I had Prayed and cast a no effect Faith card to get the DoT charged. The Brigand wiffed with an attack Reaction and the next thing we did was going to activate the Darkness. The Brigan offered to Blood Let me, but if he did I could have been easily poisoned again in 1 APs time. So I passed. The Archer was able to Tumble toward one of the treasure pops so we used this to activate the Darkness. The Stalker near the Brigand noticed him and he took two damage and was poisoned. I only took 1 damage, but I was at 3 vitality and about to take another in poison. Fortunately, my last card was Attend the Weak. The Brigand then Blood Let me and we went into the Refresh Phase. My DoT damaged the Stalker and the Brigand took poison damage.

In the next hero cycle the Archer killed off the Stalker near the Brigand to pop more loot. This was the last treasure to pop. I must've missed one in there somewhere. But all we got were 2 green items and a lot of gold. I healed myself with Attend the Weak and we let the HC end so my DoT would finish off the last Stalker. My threat went down, but was still uncomfortable at 4. The Brigand took more poison damage and he was down to about 3 or 4 vitality.

Wave 4 ( 3 minions of two different types at 2 sides each )
Okay, now the Darkness was going to activate more often. We mitigated this by going after crawlers first, then grubbers. This is also where my threat got totally out of control. Which makes me wonder, does that matter in SL? It mattered in the fact that the baddies were all over me, but I didn't have to worry about any Threat Penalties. We also now no longer cared about popping treasure since the treasure tokens were gone. And again, the Fighters ability to finish off a minion in the Refresh phase was helpful.

We spawned Crawlers on opposite sides (East and West) and Grubbers on opposite sides (North and South). One group of the crawlers was melee and the other was ranged. I was in the north facing Grubbers. The Archer was in the middle still and the Brigand was in the South. The Fighters in trouble were nearer the south and west. I think the Darkness activated relatively early due to an Orion's Tears on the east band of melee crawlers. Again, the weakened Fighters were surrounded. I took the attacks from 3 grubbers and the ranged crawlers. We quickly determined that the Archer should roll damage to me and the Fighters since he tended to roll low. The Brigand rolling damaged would have probably killed me and 2 Fighters. I took 2 damage from the ranged crawlers and we rolled for poison. No poison! Then the Fighters took their damage and they were down to 5, 2, and 1. Uh oh. The Brigand took out 3 ranged crawlers with the Shadow's Reach, Dark Reaver combo. It wouldn't have popped a treasure even if we had one to pop, but effective. The Archer and I were spent so we ended the current HC. Another darkness activation and we were going to lose at least 1 fighter. I drew Pray and Armor of Faith. I was able to increase the TN for the baddies by 3 thereby forcing them to roll 0s just to hit us. The Brigand killed the last ranged crawler and the darkness activated. No hits. Hurrah! I finished off the last of the Grubbers near me with a Last Rites. At this point my threat was moving back and forth between 8 and 10. The Archer killed a few with Orion's Tears. I can't remember how we finished off the last of them. I know it was the Brigand, but can't say for sure. His deck cycled during this wave and he got Blood Letting early and was able to get his poison status cleared. At the end of the wave we Aggressively moved toward each other and he gave me the Bracers of Will. Turned out to be important. The Archer moved in front of the Fighter with 1 HP and prepared to tank against the next wave.

Wave 5 ( 4 minions of 2 different types at 2 sides each )
At this point it had been 3 hours and we were tired so we "helped ourselves out" by having Crawlers spawn near heroes and Grubbers spawn near me. "Hello, 8 Threat." I abandoned the Fighter with 5 HP. He'd survive. I drew the grubbers near him away due to my threat and had ranged crawlers on me again. The Archer "tanked" a wave of grubbers, and the Brigand went after the melee crawlers. First thing I did was give us a 2 Faith Armor of Faith so they had to get to 9 to hit us. That turned out well. I think I took 2 damage. I used Hand of the Father to heal up me and the Brigand and buff our dice pools. A Refresh phase gave us some breathing room as even though the minions were attacking us, a few were still adjacent to Fighters. It took us 5 HC to finish off this wave. It was one past the wave timer, but I don't think that mattered as the quest didn't say we'd fail if the minions weren't all dead at that point. No Wave 6 was imminent. If we'd gotten that string of bad hands earlier we probably wouldn't have had all 3 fighters live. I took out 3 Grubbers with a Last Rites. The Archer used Orion's Tears and the Brigand was able to Shadow's Reach, Suicide Run the last of them. We succeeded in the quest. Got to remove 2 white tokens, add a blue and pull a treasure. We got gold.

We debated for a while whether or not to go on or stop since it was pretty late, but eventually decided to go back to the Tavern tile and set up a trap. We figured this would be quick and we put a single hunting pack of 3 grubbers. We said that they wanted to get us back for killing their buddies and set up the trap and were harrassing the bar. After a single HC of 4 square movement, the Archer using a Sprint so we wouldn't loiter, the Brigand pulled off a double Hustle, Suicide Run. Killed all 3 Grubbers and ended adjacent to the trap. Oh, the trap was Chain Lightning. We weren't sure if the trap would zap the Brigand for 5 damage or if it had to at least jump to 1 other hero before going back to him. We played it that way and the Archer and I stayed out of range, so the Brigand took 1 damage. During the Hero Deck phase I drew Intercession. So the next HC I played that to give the Brigand an extra D10 on his disarm. He was successful. I pulled out a merchant just so they could see how that worked and then called it a night.

Aftermath:
The friend who played the Brigand loved it! He'd play the game any time. The friend who played the Archer is less expressive but he said he had a good time and would play again. For the most part we didn't have any issues with the rules or ambiguities. Those we did have were mainly with the Brigand deck. We thought we had the Optional Shadows stuff down, but then we weren't sure. At one point he wanted to do the basic attack and didn't think he could because he was in shadows. I told him he still could but he just wouldn't receive the dice benefit he normally got from shadows. I don't know if that is right, but that's what I ruled. We also noticed that other than the basic attack, none of the other Brigand attacks said Weapon as the Range. It usually said 1. So we weren't sure if the butter knife dice should have been used for those attacks. I ruled that it was fine since the basic attacks HAD to say weapon since they were in the Apprentice deck which needs to know the distinction between main and off hand attacks. We assumed the Brigand ALWAYS uses his main hand for attacks.

The Archer didn't seem to do much, but when he did it was awesome. A damage buffed Orion's Tears is momentum shifting. His threat seemed to be a non-issue as he rarely played enough cards that would have prevented his threat from dropping. At one point he lamented that he wished he could keep his threat up to draw some Grubbers away from the Fighters.

The Acolyte's threat can get out of hand when he tries to do too much. You simply cannot be all things at the same time. I had to help kill minions and heal or buff/debuff. Assuming we were doing everything right, this didn't really matter during the SL quest. But I also see it being easier to control during a standard quest. That said, I've never actually faced a lair yet so I don't really know how out of control that kind of battle can be. I've literally only done SL in the game.

This game will be played again and is already on the docket for the next game night. And in spite of all the rules issues I had during my solo play they didn't really come up during this play. I only consulted the rule book to find out what the SL Wave 4 and 5 did. All in all, my worries about rule searching during play with others has subsided. But that's probably more because of keeping up with discussions on BGG than the book itself.

TLDR: The game had some amazing moments and we'll definitely play again. Rules issues and look ups were minimal.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Endevor Rovedne
France
le pré saint gervais
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Re: Get Tactial!!
Nice report thanks!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ukko Kaarto
Finland
Helsinki
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Great stuff. Please keep on reporting!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian Shotton
United States
Westfield
Indiana
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Sounds like a fun time.

There are a lot of Archer double attacks and they should use the Retrieve cards after attacks keeping Threat up.

However, it sounds like the Acolyte was using a lot of the AP. Tell him to pull back a bit and make "space" for the Archer to do more.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tony Pecorelli
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks guys! I shall, Ukko. It's amazing to me how much I remembered.

@ Brian - It was. Thanks for creating this game and for the tips! As much as it seems like we, as a community, are struggling right now there's definitely a diamond here.

Yeah. I was eating a lot of the AP as the Acolyte. In fact, the Brigand and I were fighting over it a lot. In retrospect I think it was because the Archer played tentatively and we did what we could to pick up the slack. Next time I'll make sure he knows about that tactic with the Retrieve card. I'll also tell him something I learned, which is if you're always low on threat, use your cards! He was discarding a lot.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tobias Loeffler
Germany
Nürnberg
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmb
Great session report! Thank you!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew Preston
United States
St. Louis
Missouri
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Three things come to mind...I thought a Slaughterfield event during a quest meant you behaved according to all of Slaughterfield's rules before reaching a target wave and the event ends. If that is the case, these 3 rules about treasure for Slaughterfield makes having that event in your quest AWESOME!

1. Treasure bag is changed, white tokens are removed and blue tokens are added.

2. Treasure appears after 2 kills instead of 3.

3. The tile has no treasure limit.

Is this correct?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tony Pecorelli
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Rcwpong wrote:
Three things come to mind...I thought a Slaughterfield event during a quest meant you behaved according to all of Slaughterfield's rules before reaching a target wave and the event ends. If that is the case, these 3 rules about treasure for Slaughterfield makes having that event in your quest AWESOME!

1. Treasure bag is changed, white tokens are removed and blue tokens are added.

2. Treasure appears after 2 kills instead of 3.

3. The tile has no treasure limit.

Is this correct?

For #1 I don't think so. I thought I remember reading somewhere that you don't, but have no idea of its validity.

As for 2 & 3, I didn't even know those were rules for SL. I've read the SL section of the rules a couple times and watched the video but I guess I missed that.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bill H
United States
Absecon
New Jersey
flag msg tools
"Shijuro" in Awatum (Serpent's Tongue)
badge
"A master in the art of living draws no sharp distinction between his work and his play, his labour and his leisure, his mind and his body, his education and his recreation." LP Jacks
mbmbmbmbmb
Myth uses the term Slaughterfield to mean three different but related things: The Slaughterfield expansion, the Slaughterfield variant (Chapter 10 in the rulebook) with different treasure rules, and the Slaughterfield mechanic of spawning in waves instead of via lairs.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew Preston
United States
St. Louis
Missouri
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Test
So if a slaughterfield event is mentioned in a quest then the only slaughterfield part of it that applies is how enemies spawn? All other rules are as normal questing?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Branden Sprenger
United States
Collinsville
Oklahoma
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Get Tactical! I love that chapter quest! Nice report!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve Hajducko
United States
Newbury Park
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Nice report!

And yes, you got the ruling right for the Shadow's bonuses. From the Hero deck reference:

Any card that combos with a Shadow card receives the bonuses at the top of the card in addition to anything the card allows.

So basic attacks ( like just the 'Attack' card ) don't get the +2 FD bonus from Shadows. They have to either require Shadows or say 'Optional Shadows'
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.