Popular Tags: [View All]
Scott M.
United States
Winter Springs
Florida
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb

You should only say nice things about the dead...
He's dead. ...How nice
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Boaty McBoatface
England
County of Essex
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Not sure I like my reaction to this, but I cannot help but think that we may finally have had a worthwhile message from god. It's just a shame it took so long.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Moshe Callen
Israel
Jerusalem
flag msg tools
designer
ἄνδρα μοι ἔννεπε, μοῦσα, πολύτροπον, ὃς μάλα πολλὰ/ πλάγχθη, ἐπεὶ Τροίης ἱερὸν πτολίεθρον ἔπερσεν./...
badge
μῆνιν ἄειδε θεὰ Πηληϊάδεω Ἀχιλῆος/ οὐλομένην, ἣ μυρί᾽ Ἀχαιοῖς ἄλγε᾽ ἔθηκε,/...
mbmbmbmbmb
Better to simply speak truth about the dead. Phelps was an evil hateful man who rejoiced in the misery of others. The world is a better place without him.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Boaty McBoatface
England
County of Essex
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Simon Mueller wrote:
He was also excommunicated from his own church shortly before his death: http://cjonline.com/news/2014-03-17/elders-excommunicate-phe...
So basically having peddles hate all his adult life, when the hate turned on his own friends and family he dislike it.

Having said that it sounds like his death was not pleasant, and no one deserves to live out their last days in misery.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chad Ellis
United States
Brookline
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The church doesn't have funerals.

As for the excommunication...

disappear fear wrote:
If you teach your children a sick philosophy, they will come back when you're old and teach you real good.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
CHAPEL
United States
Round Rock
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
"that's a smith and wesson, and you've had your six"
mbmbmb
Well, if nothing else, today he'll find out if he was right all along.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave G
United States
Illinois
flag msg tools
badge
El Chupacabratwurst
mbmbmbmbmb
Normally I hate to speak ill of the dead, but I think in this case we can make an exception. Fuck him, and good riddance.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J Graning
United States
Chicago
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I was really hoping for more suffering. . . oh well now he's worm food.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Graham Charlton
United Kingdom
East Barnet
Hertfordshire
flag msg tools
badge
www.finchleygamesclub.org
mbmbmbmbmb
It is deeply upsetting that he managed to survive to such an old age.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Damian
United States
Enfield
Connecticut
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
slatersteven wrote:
So basically having peddles hate all his adult life, when the hate turned on his own friends and family he dislike it.

If only there was some way he could seen that coming.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andy Beaton
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
I have a cunning plan
mbmbmbmbmb
By acting as the public face of bigotry, Fred Phelps was a driving force for tolerance and acceptance.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff
United States
Linden
New Jersey
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Social Justice Wargamer
mbmbmbmbmb
I... um... I agree with Drew.

May God's mercy be infinite.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
MGK
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I don't think God's mercy enters into it, personally, so I think it best to treat Fred Phelps' death as I would any other death - as occasion to act as best helps the living.

Normally this would be just solemnity because everybody has grieving family, but A) his family excommunicated him so they don't care and B) they're all awful people just like him anyway, so I say the best Fred Phelps joke wins Geekgold.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bat Profile
United States
Sandworms USA
Plateau of Leng
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Couldn't have happened to a nicer guy.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian Morris
United States
Raytown
Missouri
flag msg tools
2nd, 6th and 7th Wisconsin, 19th Indiana, 24th Michigan
badge
24th Michigan Monument Gettysburg Pa
mbmbmbmbmb
I don't hate Phelps. I feel pity more than anything else. Phelps' hatred was more than just your run of the mill hatred. It was a severe mental illness. Very much like Bobby Fisher's hatred of Jews (despite being Jewish himself) crossed a line into something much more. I have seen a few interviews with one of Phelps' sons who escape from the family as well as a granddaughter. Being raised by Phelps was like going through a hate summer camp that never ended. I don't hate Phelps or his family. Phelps was a victim of his own mental illness and his children and grandchildren are the victims of him and his illness. Indoctrinated into his world of madness.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
MGK
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Billythehut wrote:
However to give him his due; once there was a day when he was a civil rights lawyer fighting against the Jim Crow laws. Sadly, I think he lost his mind sometime in the seventies.

Go read Addicted to Hate. Phelps wasn't particularly enlightened vis-a-vis race; he was a guy who recognized that civil rights legislation offered profitable litigation opportunities and acted accordingly. Atticus Finch this dude was not.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Clay
United States
Alabama
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
That's fine, it was bound to happen eventually. The only thing that slightly concerns me is if the inevitable hate directed his way in death pushes the still living members of his sect even closer to their insane beliefs. Not that there's really that much hope that many of them will ever shake free of that, but giving them further cause to justify their hatred of others isn't exactly helping the situation. As always the clear solution seems to be to just ignore them entirely until they go away or have a change of heart.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Moshe Callen
Israel
Jerusalem
flag msg tools
designer
ἄνδρα μοι ἔννεπε, μοῦσα, πολύτροπον, ὃς μάλα πολλὰ/ πλάγχθη, ἐπεὶ Τροίης ἱερὸν πτολίεθρον ἔπερσεν./...
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I've no joy in saying that the world is a better place without him. I wish that were not true but I sadly think it is. What an awful legacy to leave from one's life. It's waste of human potential. What could he have accomplished if he had been as vocal for good things?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John So-And-So
United States
Fresno
California
flag msg tools
badge
You and the Cap'n make it hap'n
mbmbmbmbmb
slatersteven wrote:
no one deserves to live out their last days in misery.

Sure they do. We're all gonna disagree on WHO exactly deserves it, but I think this is a great example of one that MOST of us will agree on.

I hope his days were progressively more unbearable until the sweet release of death was a welcome gift on the last one, and I hope it hurt real bad right before he went. Worthless human is worthless.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Junior McSpiffy
United States
Riverton
Utah
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
CapAp wrote:
slatersteven wrote:

Sure they do. We're all gonna disagree on WHO exactly deserves it, but I think this is a great example of one that MOST of us will agree on.

I hope his days were progressively more unbearable until the sweet release of death was a welcome gift on the last one, and I hope it hurt real bad right before he went. Worthless human is worthless.

So then the problem with Phelps isn't that he thought some people should live out their lives in misery because of their evil deeds, it's that the group he thought should do it is different than the group -you- think should do it?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Junior McSpiffy
United States
Riverton
Utah
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
utoption2 wrote:
bjlillo wrote:
GameCrossing wrote:
CapAp wrote:
slatersteven wrote:

So then the problem with Phelps isn't that he thought some people should live out their lives in misery because of their evil deeds, it's that the group he thought should do it is different than the group -you- think should do it?

Yeah, Cappy is basically Fred Phelps in drag but less charismatic.

Cappy rolls in Drag? He didn't look like that in Facebook? And where are the demonstrations?

I just have this visual in my head of people lining the cemetery holding signs reading "GOD HATES NOBODY" and having those attending the funeral start shouting about how insensitive people are toward their beliefs.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
St. Louis
Missouri
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
whac3 wrote:
Better to simply speak truth about the dead. Phelps was an evil hateful man who rejoiced in the misery of others. The world is a better place without him.

Why speak of him at all? Even in death this guy is still getting attention. Better off not saying a single word.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Moshe Callen
Israel
Jerusalem
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
COMPNOR wrote:
whac3 wrote:

Why speak of him at all? Even in death this guy is still getting attention. Better off not saying a single word.

Yet you post on this thread.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
the manatee
United States
Burbank
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
It's about time this human piece of shit got flushed.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John So-And-So
United States
Fresno
California
flag msg tools
badge
You and the Cap'n make it hap'n
mbmbmbmbmb
GameCrossing wrote:

No, the problem is that he was PROactively hateful and I am REactively hateful. Do I really need to pull a Godwin to make you agree to the obvious?

Ouch, my grammar
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2 , 3 , 4  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.