Attack Vector: Tactical» Forums » General

Subject: Buy in UK or play from PDF? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Paul Agapow
United Kingdom
London
flag msg tools
AV:T has been sitting on the edge of my interests for a while, hampered only by the facts that it seems to be long out of print and I'm in the UK. The sole copy I can find for sale in the UK is beyond £110 (and shipped from the US anyway) and the shop feature on the Ad Astra home site seems to be broken. But you can buy a PDF of the rules from Wargamevault. So:

* Is there another source of the game in the UK or

* What do people think about running a game from the PDF alone, building or sourcing all the pieces I need?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew Walters
United States
Hercules
California
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb

PDFs are the future. You might have to buy more than the core rule book, but even so you're paying 15% the price of the full game. Add in the cost of printing and some time assembling and you're still getting a bargain.

Some people have a very strong aversion to making their own games from computer files. Others love making games just to make them. I'm guessing you're not in the latter group or you wouldn't even post the question. If you don't want to print and assemble a game I think you should choose between either learning to love print-and-play and thus vastly broadening your gaming options, or team up with a gamer friend who loves assembling and have them put together the game for you.

Obviously AV:T has more substantial assembly than most games by a far stretch, but you were going to have to do some of that assembly if you got a new physical copy anyway.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul Zagieboylo
United States
Austin
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The online shop is temporarily broken, and a lot of people at the Ad Astra offices have had major health problems in the last few months preventing them from fixing it. It should be working again sometime soon.

Ad Astra's games are all pretty much printed on demand, so if you buy it, it will arrive.

Supposedly there is a retailer in the UK who is willing to special order Ad Astra's games (or at least, was as of May 2013):
ALTERNATIVE UNIVERSE
40 Lower Bedfords Road
Romford, ESSEX RM1 4DG
United Kingdom

Carlos Vazquez
carlosvazquez@inorbit.com
011 44 1708 750 980

I can't recommend playing from the PDF alone. You really need the box miniatures, tilt blocks, and maps. Good idea on wanting to play this game though! AV:T is a great and subtle simulation game, perfect for those who really want to take the helm themselves and fly their starship to victory!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Martin Larouche
Canada
Longueuil
Quebec
flag msg tools
Melting souls with cuteness since 2007
badge
Lovin' N-16
mbmbmbmbmb
Quote:
shop feature on the Ad Astra home site seems to be broken

Still is?

Support from AdAstra has been abysmal. It was broken 2 years ago and my guess is they are never going to fix it.
I can understand health problems... but their website woes have been going on for a VERY long time.

Besides the rules there is a hex map, some plastic blocks to show elevation and angle, counters for the ships D10 dices which can be found anywhere and the record sheets, ship status sheets and ballistics status sheets.

It's going to be a tad difficult if you don't have access to the ship book to print and play the game...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ethan McKinney
United States
El Segundo
California
flag msg tools
badge
deedob wrote:
Quote:

Still is?

It was working fine for a long time. It was taken down in December (?) for upgrading and hasn't gotten back up.

deedob wrote:
Support from AdAstra has been abysmal. It was broken 2 years ago and my guess is they are never going to fix it.
I can understand health problems... but their website woes have been going on for a VERY long time.

Support other than the web site? Ken's very active here and on the forum, addressing questions, and he's been trying to ship games from his personal stash while the store is down.

deedob wrote:
Besides the rules there is a hex map, some plastic blocks to show elevation and angle, counters for the ships D10 dices which can be found anywhere and the record sheets, ship status sheets and ballistics status sheets.

You can use any hex maps, but you need to be careful with the hex numbers for relative positions. As soon as I have an opportunity, I'm going to post some information about the different maps that have shipped with AV:T.

The tilt blocks are a must. Yes, you can print-and-play some of your own, but they're a pain and they lack durability. You can find substitutes for stacking tiles, but the real ones fit together and fit into the bottoms of the tilt blocks, so you don't have to worry about moving a "stack" and losing something.

The box miniatures aren't available as PDFs, except for the Wasp and Rafik from the demo set. You can make those up--they're decent. The real ones are much more convenient, hardier, and look nicer, but you can survive.

If you must, see if you can buy some tilt blocks and stacking tiles from Ken. the big question is whether customs and international shipping makes it worthwhile. The weight might make it much cheaper, or it might not matter. No idea what customs fees might be.

deedob wrote:
It's going to be a tad difficult if you don't have access to the ship book to print and play the game...

The ship book and the setting book with scenarios and other important information are both available as PDFs. There's also a combined package.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul Agapow
United Kingdom
London
flag msg tools
Thanks all for the input. Yes, I have built / crafted games before but I'm really wanted to get an idea for the difficulty of the build. From the above, it seems like it's doable but the result might be unsatisfactory.

I've bought the PDF and will give it a read. Perhaps I can find a secondhand copy of the game on ebay here.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Martin Larouche
Canada
Longueuil
Quebec
flag msg tools
badge
Lovin' N-16
mbmbmbmbmb
elbmc1969 wrote:
deedob wrote:
Quote:

Still is?

It was working fine for a long time. It was taken down in December (?) for upgrading and hasn't gotten back up.

deedob wrote:

Support other than the web site? Ken's very active here and on the forum, addressing questions, and he's been trying to ship games from his personal stash while the store is down.

deedob wrote:

You can use any hex maps, but you need to be careful with the hex numbers for relative positions. As soon as I have an opportunity, I'm going to post some information about the different maps that have shipped with AV:T.

The tilt blocks are a must. Yes, you can print-and-play some of your own, but they're a pain and they lack durability. You can find substitutes for stacking tiles, but the real ones fit together and fit into the bottoms of the tilt blocks, so you don't have to worry about moving a "stack" and losing something.

The box miniatures aren't available as PDFs, except for the Wasp and Rafik from the demo set. You can make those up--they're decent. The real ones are much more convenient, hardier, and look nicer, but you can survive.

If you must, see if you can buy some tilt blocks and stacking tiles from Ken. the big question is whether customs and international shipping makes it worthwhile. The weight might make it much cheaper, or it might not matter. No idea what customs fees might be.

deedob wrote:

The ship book and the setting book with scenarios and other important information are both available as PDFs. There's also a combined package.

It took them over a year and a half to fix the website registry problem when Attack Vector 2 was released. We couldn't get our last two ships.

Ship book 2 was promised for years after years... i don't even bother to see if it's out.

Two years ago, i tried to buy the game. Couldn't do it as it kept saying my credit card was invalid. I had to order from another online store. 3 months later, a of mine tried to purchase also the same game. He had the same problem as me. He wrote to them directly to get his purchase going... They shipped the black and white rulebook when he payed for the colour one.

I tried to register to the website's forums. It required manual registration on their part to register my account. The website told me to wait a day or two...
I received my account a month later...

Website's broken for months again?

Sorry... support is abysmal from my experience.

Game's design is amazing, but AdAstra as a company... meh.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Martin Larouche
Canada
Longueuil
Quebec
flag msg tools
badge
Lovin' N-16
mbmbmbmbmb
outlier wrote:
Thanks all for the input. Yes, I have built / crafted games before but I'm really wanted to get an idea for the difficulty of the build. From the above, it seems like it's doable but the result might be unsatisfactory.

I've bought the PDF and will give it a read. Perhaps I can find a secondhand copy of the game on ebay here.

Happy chocolate hunting!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ethan McKinney
United States
El Segundo
California
flag msg tools
badge
deedob wrote:
Website's broken for months again?

Ask, and thou shalt receive! Store's back up: http://store.genreconnections.com/

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ad Astra Games
United States
Iowa
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
deedob wrote:

I tried to register to the website's forums. It required manual registration on their part to register my account. The website told me to wait a day or two...
I received my account a month later...

We at least figured that out. Ken's spam filter started catching registration requests.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.